Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a feel for the quality level of the stock Maxxis tires that come with the 2016 Grizzly 700?

Are they up to the quality of the Bighorns? Nowhere near close?

I am wanting to know GC members opinions so I know what to expect when out riding.

Thanks for all inout and opinions...

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
The quality of the stock tire is good for the tire design but the O.G. will take more abuse and last longer.
I have Maxxis tires on a trailer with great results.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have read that they did put a lot of time designing the stock tire but I find there very soft and puncture easy.l put a nail thru the tire my first outting and second day another nail.My big horn og's are very durable and ride extremely smooth.

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Hi all,
I'm trying to get a feel for the quality level of the stock Maxxis tires that come with the 2016 Grizzly 700?
Are they up to the quality of the Bighorns? Nowhere near close?
I am wanting to know GC members opinions so I know what to expect when out riding.
As you get to know your grizz over the first thousand miles the stock tires will be O.K. I've found nails go through all tires I run, but for normal, middle of the rode technical stuff, the stock tires will work.
What I found was the new O.G.'s increased the aggressive ability of the grizz. I routinely go places with the new tires I did not consider going with the stock tires.
Part of this is from the increased ground clearance and part is from the increased traction.
Yes I did turn up the C.V.T. ratio for better low end performance, but I don't think the stock tires could handle the increase as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found the Maxxis oem tires on my 2016 Kodiak less than satisfactory. The tread bars were short and seemed to be spaced a little to far apart for good traction in tight situations. I replaced them within the first 40 miles. The grizzly comes with a different oem tire than the Kodiak, looks a little better.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
What I don't like is the OEM tires are bias ply , my first atv I ran the stock bias ply for the first year . They were bald in 3000 miles thus the switch to radials as they last a lot longer .

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have radials on my 'gade, and I think the 2.0s on the g/f's grizz are as well, other than traction I don't notice a difference between radials and bias. I don't remember how long the stockers stayed on the grizz, but for general use they did OK. What I was shocked with was the difference in machines. I used to have 99 Grizz 600 with 27" mayhems. I couldn't go up a bank behind my mothers house. It would go so far, then just spin. I tried with the 700 grizz with stock tires, 4wd but no diff lock, walked right up it. Of all the machines I've had over the years, never been a fan of stock tires. Maybe the 'gade with the stock holeshots, but not for my type of riding. I guess the stockers are aimed to be an all around tire, not supposed to be good at one thing. Maybe other than picking up nails lol.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I did 6000 miles this year if I was running stock bias ply tires I'm thinking I would of went though 2 sets .

·
Registered
566 Posts
Since you mention mileage, I've had the HTRs on my gade since this spring, and they show more wear than the mayhems after being on 3 different machines and 3-4 years now I think. Flat spots is the only thing I notice....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts