Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Grizzly 550, 2020 Grizzly 700 XT-R
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the grizzly (2020 700) have a safety shutdown if critically overheated, like their snowmobiles? The problem is that I don't know how long I was riding it overheated.

I ran it for a while, while it was flashing "HI". It didn't catch my eye because my low fuel indicator was also flashing, so I was ignoring the display. What happened was that I got stuck in the mud hole and clogged the radiator up. That water in the pic is only 1inch deep, the rest was clay-like mud, probably silt. When I stopped, coolant was blowing out of the overflow. I don't think it was overheated for very long because I didn't lose a lot of fluid. It's sitting barely below the "MIN" line.

Water Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
I don't know of a shut down feature, and I don't think you have a big problem as there was a lot of mud/water around the engine to suck out heat. I bet the radiator was/is full of mud to stop heat transfer normally so the coolant expanded and came out.
Over the years my radiator dumped coolant when in the desert, riding hard and with the wind for less air flow. I checked and add small amounts of coolant each time but every now and then this would happen again, with no damage so......
I figured the cooling system capacity was just barely large enough for most conditions and when pushing the limits is less than needed so I decided to add extra heat shrink to the system by cutting the upper hose and splicing in copper tube to let out more heat like the radiator is designed to do.
Very few members here have gone this route deciding to not cut a perfectly good radiator hose, but for the few having done this the problem goes away.

Reactions: rick25s

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know of a shut down feature, and I don't think you have a big problem as there was a lot of mud/water around the engine to suck out heat. I bet the radiator was/is full of mud to stop heat transfer normally so the coolant expanded and came out.
Over the years my radiator dumped coolant when in the desert, riding hard and with the wind for less air flow. I checked and add small amounts of coolant each time but every now and then this would happen again, with no damage so......
I figured the cooling system capacity was just barely large enough for most conditions and when pushing the limits is less than needed so I decided to add extra heat shrink to the system by cutting the upper hose and splicing in copper tube to let out more heat like the radiator is designed to do.
Very few members here have gone this route deciding to not cut a perfectly good radiator hose, but for the few having done this the problem goes away.
Thanks.
I just noticed I have to take most of the body off to add coolant. Ugh. I should have figured that.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Thanks.
I just noticed I have to take most of the body off to add coolant. Ugh. I should have figured that.
So you know, when I have a low radiator (after opening the system) I fill the over flow and let it suck into the system. I take a water bottle of 50/50 mix and keep the bottle full and do this until it stops taking more mix.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts