Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Grizz the front diff seal(s) are leaking a TINY bit ................... just enough to get the front shaft wet. I'm in 4x4 almost all of the time (tracks). My ? is (I THINK so..............but) is the front drive shaft turning even in 2x4?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have a 2016 Grizz the front diff seal(s) are leaking a TINY bit ................... just enough to get the front shaft wet. I'm in 4x4 almost all of the time (tracks). My ? is (I THINK so..............but) is the front drive shaft turning even in 2x4?
Your front drive shaft will always turn at the same rate as the rear drive shaft, because the mechanism to engage / disengage your 4wd is actually in your front differential.

Reactions: SavageGrizzly

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
The front seals seems to be guaranteed to weep some oil. My 13 Grizz and both Kodi's do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread, if it's that common than I guess there's no point to me loading mine onto the trailer and driving two hours to have the dealership replace the seal if it's going to keep leaking anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your front drive shaft will always turn at the same rate as the rear drive shaft, because the mechanism to engage / disengage your 4wd is actually in your front differential.

Exactly as I thought. Kinda wish I was wrong! Are leaky seals common on the Grizz?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another thing to look at is the breather lines being squashed or kinked, with the diffs spinning all the time they create pressure, if the breather line can't cope with this pressure the oil can weasel out the seals.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Exactly as I thought. Kinda wish I was wrong! Are leaky seals common on the Grizz?

And Kawi’s and canam’s and and and.

Near all leak a bit.

One piece of swamp grass gets wrapped around the shaft and winds its self in by the seal, it can be enough to cause a small leak.
My dealer once said “it’s just sweating a bit”.
Unless it’s dripping on the floor I don’t change mine.

Saying this.. I actually never had any leaks in 2009 grizzly or my current 2016 grizzly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's amazing what you can find when you use the search bar,lol. Glad to hear this is a common thing. Definitely not dripping so I guess I am good. Thanks

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
It also could be your rear vent line burping oil out and not your seal, running down and dripping on your front drive shaft close to the front diff making it look like a seal leak, facing the front of your machine remove your top panel look to the left you will find two ends of your diff breather hoses, look to see if one is not weeping oil out, my 16 Grizz done this and I thought it was a front seal also, if a seal is leaking oil out, water is getting in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts