Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Grizzly 700 power steering

Does anyone know if the brake disks have a natural dish built in or should they be flat. Mine have a dish but it does not look like a warp and exactly the same from left to right. I'm talking about the rear brakes...any help appreciated....

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
45 Posts
Every brake disc I've seen is flat. If the braking surface has a dish/concave to it; it probably needs replacing, as well as the pads.

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Dished like a worn band from the pads?
Use a micrometer to determine thickness difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never seen dished ones either. It threw me because left and right ones are dished exactly the same. Pads are worn and show signs of getting hot so I guess it is bite the bullet and replace them all....Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ridgway, they have a dish from the inside to the outside edge. Not just a band where the pads ride. Left and right are the same and will "spoon" together perfectly. Almost looks like they were designed that way but I just can't imagine it. I am going to Yamaha shop tomorrow, maybe they'll let me talk to a tech and I can find out for sure...the run just over 40 bucks each....

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
RaceDriven also sells pads and rotors for the Grizzly 700/550. I used their pads on my last Grizzly and really liked the stopping power from those pads. I felt they were better than OEM and will be buying them again when I need new pads. I have not purchased their rotors. My ride conditions are limited water and I do not do mud holes but I felt those RaceDriven pads were lasting a good amount of time.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I have seen many different models of ATV's with dish shaped rotors.
In my opinion, almost all of them have been caused by sticky caliper pins. The pins stick, then the bracket bends when the brakes are applied. This flexes or bends the rotor slightly, causing the dished shape. It eventually gives you a spongy brake feel. This spongy feel is even worse when you install new pads that are not worn into the dish shape.

I worked a 550 Arctic Cat last year that had a manufacturer defect in the rear caliper body. It is was made on a angle, which caused the pads to sit angled to the rotor. When the brakes were applied, the rotor was forced to bend to the angked pads. Replacing the caliper and rotor fixed it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts