Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time poster looking for opinions.

I have a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak and am looking for a rear cargo box to keep my gear dry and dust free over extended (week or more) back country trips. I have done a bunch of research online and am looking for the highest quality box I can get. Money really isn't an issue as I've always operated on the notion of "buy once, cry once" and "you get what you pay for".

I have narrowed it down to three cargo boxes:

1) Montana Jacks Magnum - Huge box which seems to be very high quality. $$$

2) Yamaha Accessory rear cargo box - Gets good reviews and fits perfectly to the rear rack. $$

3) Tamarack classic wrap around - Appears to be good quality and also gets good reviews. $$

So, I really like the Yamaha box for the money. But, I'm intrigued by the Montana Jacks box and am also interested in the Tamarack box. The problem with both of the aftermarket boxes is I can't really find much info on them. The Tamarack website isn't working for me and I cant really find any video reviews or photos. Likewise, there is only a short informational video on the Montana jacks box (by Montana Jacks) and only a few mentions of it during my research.

First, does anyone have first hand experience with any of the above? Videos? Photos?
I really interested in opinions of the Tamarack boxes and the Montana Jacks box.

Is there any other rear cargo boxes i should be looking at? I'm probably going to mount a slim pelican case to the front rack.

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the yamaha branded box on my 2016 Grizzly 700, love the fact that it's made specifically to fit on the grizzly rack, I do wish it was a little taller, but I can still get a stupid amount of junk to fit in it...hand hold cutouts and cup holders are nice to have..

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the yamaha branded box on my 2016 Grizzly 700, love the fact that it's made specifically to fit on the grizzly rack, I do wish it was a little taller, but I can still get a stupid amount of junk to fit in it...hand hold cutouts and cup holders are nice to have..
I'm thinking of doing the Yamaha rear box but I had Line-X applied to racks to the racks are wider. I don't know if the Yamaha box will fit since it drops into the space between the racks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've got the tamarack front classic (that I mount mainly on the rear rack for day rides) and the classic rear box I use more in the winter and on trips. The rear is not the wrap around box but it holds a ton of stuff. Both tamarack boxes are good quality. I would not hesitate buying the tamarack again. I like the yamaha box, but it is slightly smaller. @wvmtwins has the wrap around tamarack on his grizzly and it looks good. I don't know anything about the montana jacks magnum box.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures with my rear box.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tamarack rear wrap around box. Mine is 11 yrs old rugged no problems with it. Stood my machine straight up and down with this box on it keep it from tipping over don't try this. Mine is not 100% dust free, but still pretty good it has a lip on the lid for a seal no type of gasket new ones might be different. No problem in the rain. Looks like Ransom's just a little bit more storage in the wrap around part, a small cooler full of tools on one side and snap ropes and jumper cables on the other side. I always carry 2 gal of fuel, but on rare trips as much as 4 gal, so get as big a box as you can for the rear.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,308 Posts
Was checking out the Yamaha boxes for the 16+ bikes on our last trip and those are pretty nice... mainly because they have a nice integrated thick rubber seal and appears to seal really well. Looks like that seal will keep the dust and water out of the box. My front Tamarack box, which I do like because of the low profile, does not keep dust and water out as there is no rubber seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.. Just the info I'm looking for. I may just opt for the Yamaha box but I'm not sure if it has enough space at 66L. 66L adds up to something like 2.3 cubic feet. The Montana Jacks box has 4.5 cubic feet. I like the Yamaha box for the money, just not sure if ill be able to fit all my camping gear (tent, sleeping bag etc) and then all my clothes in there. I believe the Tamarack and Montana jacks boxes come with provisions to mount fuel and water packs. Also like the separate compartments that the Montana Jacks magnum has up front for items that you want to be able to reach without digging through the main compartment.

The only issue with the Montana Jacks is that it may be too big/bulky and it is at least $125.00 more expensive than the others.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is a larger Yamaha one. I saw it is the Yamaha catalog at the dealer parts department. Not sure if it's the same construction as the 66L one. But it's larger. The 66L one didn't even come up in the parts department catalog as made for the Grizzly, was under Kodiak. I don't think I could find the larger one online, may be worth checking with your dealer. The catalog was slightly different than the Yamaha Parts and Accessories site.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Thanks guys.. Just the info I'm looking for. I may just opt for the Yamaha box but I'm not sure if it has enough space at 66L. 66L adds up to something like 2.3 cubic feet. The Montana Jacks box has 4.5 cubic feet. I like the Yamaha box for the money, just not sure if ill be able to fit all my camping gear (tent, sleeping bag etc) and then all my clothes in there. I believe the Tamarack and Montana jacks boxes come with provisions to mount fuel and water packs. Also like the separate compartments that the Montana Jacks magnum has up front for items that you want to be able to reach without digging through the main compartment.

The only issue with the Montana Jacks is that it may be too big/bulky and it is at least $125.00 more expensive than the others.
I checked out the Montana Jacks magnum box and it looks very well made. The hinges look heavier and more durable than the tamarack or yamaha boxes. If you camp a lot and have the need for maximum storage it might be worth having the largest box. Hopefully some one will chime in with some pictures of the box mounted on their atv. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a larger Yamaha one. I saw it is the Yamaha catalog at the dealer parts department. Not sure if it's the same construction as the 66L one. But it's larger. The 66L one didn't even come up in the parts department catalog as made for the Grizzly, was under Kodiak. I don't think I could find the larger one online, may be worth checking with your dealer. The catalog was slightly different than the Yamaha Parts and Accessories site.
Interesting....
The only rear cargo box (Yamaha branded) that I was able to find is the 66L one. Part number B16-F83P0-T0-00

·
Registered
188 Posts
Interesting....
The only rear cargo box (Yamaha branded) that I was able to find is the 66L one. Part number B16-F83P0-T0-00
Exactly. The dealer had a different one. It took them 5 minutes to find the 66L one as it was 8n a different spot in the parts catalog. Think it was under the Kodiak. Didn't match the website. I couldn't even find the other one they had in the catalog on the site (granted I didn't try hard since it was larger and I wanted the smaller one).

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
here's the Montana jacks box

@Mich4x4, wow that's an awesome box! This is the 1st I have ever heard of them, or Montana Jack's for that matter. For all the money and time I have in buying and modifying my crappy rear box/lounger and adding a different "winter" box, I could have bought one of these and still been ahead of the game! Maybe I'll have to have a "minor" crash to get rid of my current one this spring, LOL!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the Stanley Fat Max #028001L 28" Tool Box. I reinforced the inside bottom with an additional rectangle 1/8" aluminum plate.
Still going strong after 9000miles/7 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Funny, installed same Stanley fat max box! Under $70 cnd! Works great, maybe not fancy but definitely works for this guy

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the Yamaha rear cargo box. It is well made and it does keep my stuff dry and clean (no dust). It has been perfect for the day trips I have taken. In fact, I find that I sometimes will have toput some extra towels in it to keep things from bouncing around in it too much. But if I we're going to go riding for longer than a day trip, I would definitely want more storage.

One box that I've had my eye on for longer rides is the QuadBoss Deluxe cargo box. Here is a good video review of it:

That Montana Jacks box looks pretty darn nice though!

Let us know what you decide and please share pictures.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the Yamaha rear box but I had Line-X applied to racks to the racks are wider. I don't know if the Yamaha box will fit since it drops into the space between the racks.
do you like your racks coated in Line-X? thought about doing that

·
Registered
188 Posts
do you like your racks coated in Line-X? thought about doing that
Love it. It adds some thickness to the racks, but makes it bulletproof. No possibility of rust from like happens if the thin factory coat gets scratched. It's good piece of mind. It wasn't cheap. My LineX dealer charged $250 total for the front and rear rack due to the large loss of product from over-spray.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts