Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum, question for all you grizzly riders out there that’s got me stumped .

2005 Grizzly 660

Low speed clunking coming from the rear of my machine . Not all the time . Just when I’m turning on pavement primarily, like getting it in and out of the garage .
I’ve read on here that could be signs of a bad CV, but I have replaced all 4 axles on the machine . Have also replaced the bearings . Still have this noise .

I got down beside the machine and noticed when I go from forward to reverse and rol the machine in the according direction the boss/coupler of the rear differential moves front to back considerably. is this normal? Or could this be where the clunk is coming from.

any input would be much appreciated feel like I’m chasing ghosts

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Part #7 should not be moving or wobbling. The nut could be lose or the bearing # 6 is shot. Is the seal leaking?
You may be seeing the dust seal moving # 43. # 43 could be moving because of a bad #39. #39 is called a coupler but is more like a gear. It is attached to the shaft.

White Font Line Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thank you for confirming that #7 should not be moving at all front to back . I will tear apart the rear end and let you know what I discover . I did not notice the seal leaking .I will also double check 39 and 43

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention I did that as well.I upgraded the hardware so it has thicker bolts to take out any free play within the differential mounting holes because I thought that was causing the noise . But still there.. tearing into it this weekend. Will update.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts