Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought it as I didn't want to question them for when I needed to do my 20 hour service. Already used it and only now looking into it. Anyone have any thoughts?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Brake-Final-Drive-K61030-004B/dp/B00DV2O6C2[/ame]

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
......Retracted post.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the confirmation. When I read wet brake I thought it was odd and just didn't have a chance to look into it. What is the proper oil. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have no clue how that is formulated. I would think it is for a specific application. You can use any 80/90 GL4 gear oil. What viscosity is the oil you purchased?

·
Registered
587 Posts
If u haven't already drained ur rear diff, when u do, you'll find it indeed has the thinner type oil like that Kawasaki oil. And ur owners manual even calls for it. They specify Mobil fluid 424. I think they just did that to keep it the same as the new Kodiak with the wet brake. I don't know why and def didn't want to use that in mine, so I didn't go back with that when I changed it and stuck with good ole 80/90 til I order the Amsoil I plan to run for the long haul.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did check the manual and it stated Mobil 424. No other detailed info. Mobil 424 come up as very expensive since you have to buy a larger bottle of it.

When I search online, the Kawasaki oil they gave me actually comes up as an equivalent, to atleast that is what people are using.

I would like to order the 80w-90 and drop it in before the holiday if you guys feel I should. Amazon doesn't stock it.

They have royal purple.

Lucas oil

AC Delco

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I am going to retract my original statement/post. If Yamaha tells you to run Mobil 424 (or equivalent) in the diff, then that will be a perfectly good oil to run in it. Yamaha designed and built it, so they know more about it then we think we do.

The Kodiak and Kawasaki's still use differentials in there rear diffs, just like the Grizzly. The Mobil 424 (or equivalent) should work perfectly fine.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
What Dezz says. Yamaha spent a lot of money to see what will be best for your diff

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Kawasaki Wet brake stuff is a Tractor TDH type oil. I owned 4 kawis and I used to buy the TDH from Walmart for $9 for a gallon, beats $12 per quart at the Kawi dealer..
My Yamaha grizzly 700 got 75/90 Synthetic.

I would guess the Kodiak with its sealed wet brake needs the TDH fluid.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Kawasaki Wet brake stuff is a Tractor TDH type oil. I owned 4 kawis and I used to buy the TDH from Walmart for $9 for a gallon, beats $12 per quart at the Kawi dealer..
My Yamaha grizzly 700 got 75/90 Synthetic.

I would guess the Kodiak with its sealed wet brake needs the TDH fluid.
X2. The hydraulic oil is needed for wet brake applications. I thought I had heard that the kodiak has a wet rear brake, but grizz is 4whl disc. It should not need hydraulic oil.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
General opinion is to leave it? Or change it to the 80w-90

thanks again all

·
Registered
587 Posts
I wouldn't run it. Id go with reg gear oil. To ease your mind and to justify why I believe it's just fine is the previous model 700s, at least the last several year models, share the exact same rear diff as the 16 does. I checked the part numbers. And they all call for reg gear oil.

I'm gonna state my theory again, yamaha put the wet brake stuff in the grizzly just to make it the same as the new Kodiak with the wet brake. Why I don't know. To keep it the same across the board maybe?

A member on here, Lonerider, has a 16 model with almost 4,000 miles and he didn't stick with the factory fill either and has reported all is well.

It would be nice to hear an official answer which would have to come deep from within Yamaha, just asking the dealer I don't think would get you anything more than their opinion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you. I guess time to order up some new oil. Any particular brand you recommend thats easily attainable.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I personally prefer Amsoil fluids. They make several diff options for gear oils. The one I was planning to get they call it marine grade gear oil but say it's great for use in atvs and utvs.

As far as being easily obtainable it just depends on ur area. Most places have some dealers, even my little one horse hick town does. They don't always have in stock what I want but have always been willing to order what I request. You can shop eBay too but watch the prices I've seen em all over the place and at times way over retail.

In all reality any quality 80/90 conventional or 75/90 synthetic will be fine. But most of us seem to prefer to use higher end fluids in our beloved toys lol. Mine currently has valvoline conventional 80/90 gear oil in it front and rear til I get the Amsoil. When I drained the factory fill from the front diff it appeared to be reg conventional gear oil.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
repeat after me... NEVER trust a dealer.

you made a good call asking here.

brands dont matter so much. everyone has their favorite and will argue it to death. 99% of what matters is regular changes. the rest is correct weight, but even that can vary. about .01% is brand. but people argue about it like it is the 99%.

i use royal purple 75w90. because it is available near me regularly and easily... its what i used the first time, and i then had a partial bottle. so i keep using it so i dont have 2 partial bottles around.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I think everybody is way over thinking this, myself included. After thinking more about it, I see the light that Yamaha already has. Yamaha engineers designed and built the machine. If they tell you it's safe to use a certain product, then your good to use that product.
Additionally in this specific instance, the Kodiak 700, certain Big Bear 400's and Kawasaki's with a wet brake.....they all still use Hypoid gear style differentials. The same used in all ATV's and most vehicles built today. This Mobil 424 fluid will and does the protect the diff gears in these machines (Kodiak 700, Big Bear 400, Kawasaki). Just like it would properly lubricate and protect the gears in the Grizzly. This would be the very reason Yamaha tells you to use it.

Now I am not saying using a different lube or product than recommended will cause damage. I am also sure using a regular gear oil in the new Grizzly 708 will be perfectly fine in the rear diff. If it were my new Grizzly 708, I would use whatever oil I could get my hands on easier, whether it be Mobil 424, Kawasaki oil or a good synthetic gear oil.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Although Im still conflicted on what to use, you guys are every helpful. This forum is really great so far. Far different from all the automotive forums out there (well what they turned into over the years) that will flame the newbs for asking simple questions.

Im new to ATV's but have plenty experience wrenching and modding. Glad to be a part of the community!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
There are Kawi's out there with 10's of thousands of miles on them. Using the wet brake fluid in the rear diff. Other than the "wet brake" the diff gears are the same type others use. I'm sure it would work fine in any diff for that matter.

2015 CanAm 800xt, Dalton clutch kit, 27" STI Black Diamond XTR's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts