Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Have a problem with rear end oil being push up and out of breather hose. Have change oil. Using 80-90 oil.

·
Premium Member
9,276 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I suggest blowing thee vent line out with compressed air, or remove and replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced line also. Replaced new rear bearings ,oil. then run about 2 days ,oil leaking from overflow hose. Rechecked overflow hose (blew out) then machine started leaking by the rubber boot by engine case next day. Not over filling it. Sorry about first post. I surly did not give a lot of information. Thanks for the help. Keith

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
The old 600 Grizzly's will puke out some oil out of the rear diff vent after an oil change. This was common. Mine also used to do it every time I changed the rear diff oil.
But it only did a little for a ride or two, and that was it. Then it was settled to its natural level it liked without leaking. If yours is excessive, them it's possible you actually have something wrong. Leaking oil be the front swing arm/ driveshaft boot is not good.
Remove the rear swing arm to inspect it. Your rear diff might need more attention than you thought. If it is getting excessively hot due to worn parts, then it will blow out all the oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Dezz. I understand worn gears creating heat. What would I be looking for on the swing arm? Bushings, alignment universal ? . Keith

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Leaking pinion seal or leaking rear engine main seal is the two areas to inspect for the oil. That boot should not have any oil in it. All that boot does is keep contaminates out of the rear driveshaft and housing.

Since you have it apart, inspect the u-joint and swing arm bearings for condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just took out rear diff . Turn(ring gear ?) by hand ,started to bind up a little. Remove side housing case and big gear. Turn again by hand still binding . Do I have to buy the Yamaha tool to remove the retainer bearing or is there some else. Thanks Keith

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I am not sure about having to use a special tool, but it sounds like your pinion bearing is binding. It should rotate smoothly.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
If you have access to a dial indicator, it would also be a good idea to check the run out of the pinion shaft. It might be bent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. Its not the ring gear but the pinion gear, that was binding. It ( cd manual)show a screw retainer that screws inside the diff casing that mounts to the drive shaft side .It needs to be unscrew to remove pinion shaft and bearings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts