Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
What's buggered? Metal chunks in the oil? Noisy or clacky? Have you opened it and inspected? Case cracked?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
If my memory serves me correct, the Big Bear 400 and Kodiak 450 used the same diff.

But to find out for sure, just go to any online Yamaha parts website and start comparing part numbers. Look at other models and see if they have the same part number as your Kodiak.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Check out " muffs motor sports"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It had grease in it Without my knowledge but not enough
It's all burnt black inside, collapsed bearings too and I can't get the round pinion nut out of the case
I have tried heat and freeze to no avail

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
It had grease in it Without my knowledge but not enough
It's all burnt black inside, collapsed bearings too and I can't get the round pinion nut out of the case
I have tried heat and freeze to no avail
Well that sucks. Hope the front diff isn't the same story.
I certainly understand and support your decision to simply replace it. Goodluck, seems the other guys got you covered with a few options.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
If the rear diff was greased, I would also look at the front one too. This was a common thing for heavy mud riders to do. They have been doing it for years.
Or they may have done it because of the leaky axle seals the Kodiak 450 IRS and Big Bear 400 IRS were used to be known for. The axle seals were later updated with a better seal, so this issue was resolved with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts