Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, changing out the oil seals on the rear diff and middle drive gear. Parts are on the floor with new seals installed, just waiting to get the correct torque values to get it back together. I can't find the final torque spec for the diff side yoke nut, the service manual only lists 59 ft/lbs for a temporary torque with Loctite. Anyone have this spec?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
It's Hammer time!!! Hope all is good out you way! I'm still trying to adjust to being back home.
Since you didn't have the whole pinion assembly apart just go with the 59 and some blue locktite.

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's "about" what we ended up with, hit it real quick with an impact and added Red Loctite, ha. Thanks for the response.

Reactions: jvictory1974

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Good to see you getting the bear back to trail ready look forward to getting together for a ride hopefully.

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
That's "about" what we ended up with, hit it real quick with an impact and added Red Loctite, ha. Thanks for the response.
Hope wvmtwins doesn't see this...

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reo, that made me laugh. Would it have been better if I added we gradually torqued it to 46-47lbs before the pipe wrench wouldn't grip the coupling anymore, so I said to Crusher, Hold my beer, grabbed the impact wrench with my LEFT hand, closed my eyes, turned my head, said a Hail Mary, and hit the nut two quick times and called it good. Just note, everything mentioned after the 47lbs is pure fiction, ha.
Guess I'll find out on the next ride if I temporarily torqued it, bahahahaha. Maybe I should call wvmtwins to see if he wants to join me on my maiden voyage once I get it back together.

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
210 Posts
Heck those shiny chrome plated hammer's with all those numbers are overrated and hard to see. I'm going to use your Tim Taylor tool time approach, impact with more power & loctite.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Reo, that made me laugh. Would it have been better if I added we gradually torqued it to 46-47lbs before the pipe wrench wouldn't grip the coupling anymore, so I said to Crusher, Hold my beer, grabbed the impact wrench with my LEFT hand, closed my eyes, turned my head, said a Hail Mary, and hit the nut two quick times and called it good. Just note, everything mentioned after the 47lbs is pure fiction, ha.
Guess I'll find out on the next ride if I temporarily torqued it, bahahahaha. Maybe I should call wvmtwins to see if he wants to join me on my maiden voyage once I get it back together.
Fact or pure fiction we just call it "Hammer time" I see why you have problems with nuts,handle bars,rear racks etc... ( short list )
Stop using a left hand impact wrench. Impact in right hand, beer and cig in your left hand, close your eyes, say a prayer, try standing on your head. Please have the crusher video this. Maiden voyage sounds great. Your turn to travel to Birchwood Wisconsin. HINT REO might know of a good campground you could stay at.
P.S. call Fran Tarkenton and see if he will do one more show of that's incredible with you as the guest. After all you trained your grizzly to use Tidy Cats litter pails and that is INCREDIBLE. Take Care.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sticking to the (short list). I'm convinced you had a Grizzly voodoo doll in you pocket and you would stab it with something just to be wrenching on the next stop, or you were loosening bolts on my Grizzly every night, ha. If it can loosen or break, it just about did on that ride.
Birchwood sounds fun, just make sure we pack the Mac Truck Tool box with the 12v left handed impact wrench. Remember, you can't fix it if you don't break it, ha.
Thanks for recognizing my Grizzly training skills:rofl::happy:
Be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts