Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had their rear knuckle bushings nuts come loose, I installed a new set in the rear and for some reason the nuts keep backing off after a few runs, everything went well with the install, not sure if I need new nuts or I did something wrong, anyone else experience this and has a fix?

·
Premium Member
11,379 Posts
Not me....

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking I need new nuts, manual calls for 37ft pounds of torque on the nuts but in no time they backed off causing rear wheel wobble when checked on a stand at that torque spec, once you tighten the nuts up everything is fine again, this is my third time I had to tighten them back up, I used lock tight this time and more torque, if it happens again I will put new 17mm fine thread locker nuts on them, just thinking maybe I did something wrong with the install causing the nuts to back off. thanks

·
Premium Member
11,379 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are the factory nuts the machine came with, they are the Yamaha type locking nuts for the rear knuckle bushings, this is the second set of rear bushings on the same nuts.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Very odd. I had changed them on my 09 grizz. Even reused the long bolts and nuts. I my case they never came lose

·
Premium Member
11,379 Posts
By your first post, I thought you installed new nuts.......and thought you got the wrong style.
I guess your factory nuts may be worn out, so need replacing. I would go to the hardware store and buy nylon nuts.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah.. i'm thinking the same thing, factory nuts worn out, see if the lock tight holds up, I will pick up some new lock nuts at the shop.

·
Premium Member
8,324 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has had their rear knuckle bushings nuts come loose, I installed a new set in the rear and for some reason the nuts keep backing off after a few runs, everything went well with the install, not sure if I need new nuts or I did something wrong, anyone else experience this and has a fix?
OEM or aftermarket?
In April @12000miles I replace the original stock bushings and sleeves on the 16 Kodi (they're all the same) with Race Driven. 2500 miles Junk. Ordered OEM this morning.

Aftermarket could have machined the sleeves long as they wear and possibly shorten close the bolt/nut to seem loose.
I have never replaced the bolt and/or nut on any machines. My old 13 700 has the original bolts and nuts 23000 miles It's had the bushing and sleeves replaced twice.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OEM or aftermarket?
In April @12000miles I replace the original stock bushings and sleeves on the 16 Kodi (they're all the same) with Race Driven. 2500 miles Junk. Ordered OEM this morning.

Aftermarket could have machined the sleeves long as they wear and possibly shorten close the bolt/nut to seem loose.
I have never replaced the bolt and/or nut on any machines. My old 13 700 has the original bolts and nuts 23000 miles It's had the bushing and sleeves replaced twice.
There is only 4500 miles on my Grizz and I am on the third set, Factory set lasted 2200miles, second set was replaced by Factory Knuckle bushings and pins at the dealer and they were whore with movement when everything was tight at 4300 miles, third set is by Race driven, I would say the nut locks are getting spent, after going for a good 50mile ride today the lock tight seems to be holding the nuts tight, no movement in the bushings and pins on the Knuckle after the run.

Reactions: monksblood

·
Premium Member
8,324 Posts
Hey @griz7 what are the conditions you ride in? Lots of sand, water, mud, frozen tundra. When you grease the knuckles is the grease pushed out dirty,grit, is there a lot of water/moisture pushed out?

I see you have one of the wheel bearing greasers.What is your opinion on it?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey @griz7 what are the conditions you ride in? Lots of sand, water, mud, frozen tundra. When you grease the knuckles is the grease pushed out dirty,grit, is there a lot of water/moisture pushed out?

I see you have one of the wheel bearing greasers.What is your opinion on it?
Yes, lots of bog, sand, mud and water and rocks, I grease the knuckles once or twice a month just depends on the amount of riding, I push the old grease out with the new, there is some dirty grease that comes out and a few drips of water, I use marine water proof grease now which seems to be better ,I am running in alot more water lately during hunting season, I used the greasers this past spring and again early this fall, seems to do what its made for, pushes the moisture out of the Wheel bearings and replaces with new grease, I noticed no moisture came out of the bearings this fall when I did them, I use the marine waterproof grease in the wheel bearings also, takes about a hour to do them all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts