Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2019 Grizzly EPS. How are you greasing the zerk fittings on the rear wheel suspension? I see 2 per side. Are there any others on the machine?
Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nope only those 4, most people replace them with 45 deg zerks to make it easier.
I haven't checked on my 700 kodiak, age haven't seen anyone else mention, but on the 450 there is a zerk on the shaft for front diff right in the u-joint.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I can piggy back... what's the right kind of grease to shoot in there? I have a few, don't want to shoot something incompatible.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm pretty sure they come with a lithium base grease from the manufacturer. When I rebuilt my knuckle bushings I switched to Aqua Lube, it's a red marine grade saltwater proof grease that I use for my sailboat trailer bearings. The bushing end caps/seals don't seal very well so I usually grease every 250 miles or so just enough to push out any water/dirt. I use a manual grease gun so I can feel the back pressure, that way I know when they are full of grease without pushing alot of grease past the seals. I've replaced the bushings twice in ~7500 miles. They seem to wear out rather quickly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yup, I use valvoline crimson, it's a red lithium grease. sticky like skidmarks on toilet bowl after a night of drinking....
Is waterproof, a hot water pressure washer has a hard time removing it. Which is proof of its resistance to high pressure age temperature.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I just use regular chasis grease whatever is in the gun. I try to grease after every ride to get any water or mud out. 2400 miles with no play in them yet.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
293 Posts
I use Amsoil’s water resistant wheel bearing grease designed for boat trailer wheel bearings because I have a river running through my property that I cross often.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The manual calls for a soap based grease which is the white lithium grease.
Correct, soap base grease is lithium. Color doesn't matter.
Really, I believe along as you are pumping any grease in there, you are ahead of the game. The goal is lubrication and rater repellent, which any kind of grease should do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. First thing I do when l get home. That machine walks over stuff unimaginable by others and keeping the suspension compliant and articulating is important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to get 45 degree zerk fittings in the top fittings, but not the bottom. To be able to grease the bottom, I unbolted the bottom shock mount, then jacked the suspension up which allowed me to get a grease gun on the bottom fittings.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
The grease fittings on the rear can be a pain to get at, I add weight to the rear of the machine to get at the fittings, that works for me.

·
Premium Member
7,505 Posts
The grease fittings on the rear can be a pain to get at, I add weight to the rear of the machine to get at the fittings, that works for me.
Another advantage for the Kodiak's. Unlike the Griz I lift them on the floor jack very easy to grease the stock zerks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts