Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a discussion with my buddy on safe recovery points on our ATVs. In certain videos I have seen, the guy who is stuck will have someone just come up to their winch and hook onto the their winch hook. Is that going to any damage long term? I realize it's all spooled up and engaged so maybe it won't do any harm. Just don't want to break the winch prematurely.

I am unsure if that is an appropriate method, I would think personally that maybe a tree saver strap wrapped around the front bumper then a D-Ring through the two ends would be a better option.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I always like to have the guy that's stuck to use his winch and pull himself out , I would rather do that than hook onto the winch hook to pull him out .

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Chances are you will rip your front bumper off before you break the winch. I have seen guys hook winchilines 100s of times and I have never seen it cause damage, granted I don't and wouldn't do it. On the grizz I had a solid tow point welded to the bottom of the winch plate. On the wolverine I am going to have to same done

·
Registered
678 Posts
It not a good idea to use the winch as a tow point. The stock front bumper is rather thin wall and will bend easily if pulled on with a winch.

I took a 3/16" x 3" x 6" steel plate and welded a pretty big u-bolt to the bottom of the steel plate and have about 2 1/2" of the u-bolt extending past the end of the steel plate, then bolted the plate to the bottom side of the winch mounting plate. Now I have a very strong tow hook that is as strong as the winch and can be used if I'm using a snatch block.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I guess connecting to the winch could tweak it somehow... I had stainless U-bolt welded to the bottom of the winch plate. I didn't think another pate below it would make a difference. The bumper is definitely not the strongest point, especially the stock pumper. I would only connect to the rear hitch in the back; a D shackle is a great option. See below.

Stainless U-bolt welded to winch plate:

D shackle on rear hitch:

Reactions: adc27

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I did the same as BDSNJ. Have had no problems as I have been towed/winched out more times as I can count

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the recommendations, looks like welding a solid recovery point in the front will be added to the mod to do list!

:happy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts