Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of other posts regarding my EPS issues but I tend to get verbal diarrhea so I'm going to tackle my problems one at a time, starting with this one:

2011 Kodiak 450 EPS

Under the main hood I discovered a red wire that was cut and just left dangling. I traced it back to the ignition switch/key assembly. The bike starts fine so not affecting that but the wire is live as it was touching the frame of the bike and I noticed a bit of arcing when I started the bike. I think this was an attempt by the previous owner to wire a winch to only be active when the switch was turned on. The current winch is wired directly to the battery.

My EPS bulb is not working so I am replacing that to see if I can get into diags for the EPS system first. My question is would this snipped wire possibly cause issues throughout the harness as an open or short circuit?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I disconnected and pulled the ignition switch assembly...the mystery red wire that was disconnected was jumped to the solid brown wire on the 4 wire ignition switch then taped up with electrical tape...exposed end of wire was just hanging there. I assume this was a tie in point for a previously wired winch so it would work off switched power. Would this wire create an open circuit by any chance? In any case I am going to remove it.

I replaced the EPS bulb and that is now working so I can at least start getting some diagnostic codes from the EPS. I also pulled both the EPS Control Module and CDI unit to inspect and clean all connectors. The EPS control module looks a little rough...not sure what happened to it, almost looks like its swelled. That would be a crappy situation. I'm currently researching how to test it. Updates to come...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts