Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all !
I am quite new to the forum and the ATV world. It's been a very long time I wanted to get a Grizz and finally bought a used one.
Problem is that as I didn't know anything about that, and I think I made the worst choice ever. The machine I got had been used for rent to tourists who do not really care about it, and the owner even worse : he did not do the repairs as he should do but instead he fixed all the little things without changing the parts.
Long story short, I ended up with a machine that needed a complete refurbishing, I just need to know what to do. I did change the complete electrical system : from stator, to the battery, the regulator, solenoid, key switch ... it was bloody expensive but I did not want to have any issues with the electrical system (this cost me ~2500 US $)
Now that this part is done, the machine is reliable and I can run it without fear of having it stop on a beach 50 km from home.
Next things I need to repair are the following :
1-I need to change the speedo : after 10 seconds and it goes on diag mode. I tried to plug another speedo, it worked well.
2-I need to change the rear axles : they click very loudly
3-I need to change or repair the covers (camo) : they do not fit anymore, especially the ones around the fuel tank (maybe I can change only the screws) ?
4-I need to change the winch : it's not working anymore

My location : Morocco ==> It's not very easy to find second hand parts

I will go to the beach today and post some pictures of the machine

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Welcome to GC!

Speedo and rear axles are gonna cost ya, that's unfortunate. Per the plastics, I would go and remove them and reset them making sure nothing is in the way or something somewhere is binding. The plastics should fit and I wouldn't replace them unless they are all broken up and you want to replace.

Reactions: omar_ma

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to GC!

Speedo and rear axles are gonna cost ya, that's unfortunate. Per the plastics, I would go and remove them and reset them making sure nothing is in the way or something somewhere is binding. The plastics should fit and I wouldn't replace them unless they are all broken up and you want to replace.
Many thanks !
As mentionned here are some pics of the machine.
As you can see :
1 - Speedo going on and quickly entering diag mode
2 - Plastics not fitting well
3 - Some parts of the frame rusty

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
The plastics look fine, you will just need to remove and reset the plastics. Sometimes, those are a bit tricky to get them to sit into place properly, but removing the plastic pins and/or screws to where the plastic is loose and then trying to get it to sit properly is best. That goes for your front fender too. Loosen all connector pins/screws. The front metal rack may need to be loosened and repositioned to get the fender to rack bolt to properly set in. You might be missing that bolt and have to replace it.

As per your POD, that can purposely be put into DIAG mode. IIRC, the way you do that is to remove the fuel pump connector, under the seat, and then turn on the Grizzly. Check to make sure that connector is clean and connected before going and buying a new POD. Here is a link with directions on the POD's DIAG mode: http://forum.highlifter.com/Grizzly-700-Pod-Diagnostic-Mode-m2152398.aspx

You might also want to search around for the Yamaha Service Manual. In North America, you can purchase an online e-version of it through tradebit.com or other places for ~ $10 US. It will help you a lot as you go through fixing issues and getting your Grizzly back properly running.

All of our older Grizzly's have the rust spots as you show. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Just looked at your pictures again. Does your POD go into dIAG and then display an error code? If that is an error code, I can't see the code to well. What is happening?

Someone else with a bit more experience troubleshooting that may be of better assistance. I would highly suggest getting the Service Manual to help out with the POD before buying a new POD, those are not cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looked at your pictures again. Does your POD go into dIAG and then display an error code? If that is an error code, I can't see the code to well. What is happening?

Someone else with a bit more experience troubleshooting that may be of better assistance. I would highly suggest getting the Service Manual to help out with the POD before buying a new POD, those are not cheap.
Actually it used to go to an error code before changing the electrical circuit (I think it was Er-04, not sure though).
Since then no error code, only dIAG mode

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would that be the grey connector ?

Just to make sure :
1- I deconnect the grey connector
2- I power on the battery (if no dIAG mode then it must be the connector). Do I need to start the engine ?

·
Grizzled
3,662 Posts
Yes, it is the larger of the two connectors and is the electrical connection for the fuel pump. The smaller connector there should be for the fuel line.

Just follow the directions in that link as you need to press a couple of the POD buttons. But, if you are powering up and the POD immediately goes into dIAG, then most likely there may be some other issue and as you suspected mught be the POD. I was primarily suggesting you make sure that the fuel pump is connected and that connection is not fouled.

***You really need to get the Service Manual, for got that you can download it here off of one of our sponsers: http://www.501parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Grizzly550-700-Complete-Service-Manual.pdf

That is different from the Service Manual I have but check through there to try and find the Diag Mode info along with the error codes

EDIT: Section 9-33 is where the Diag and Fuel Injection troubleshooting section is in this Service Manual

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Did you update to the 2009 cover with the oil line when you replaced the stator?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you update to the 2009 cover with the oil line when you replaced the stator?
I just read that on other threads, I did not specifically ask for that. I hope they did it for me
I see they charged me for a cover (7$) I hope that's it !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just went for a 2 hours ride today, works well.
The rear axles definitely need a change : they click whenever I run on asphalt (especially on left turns)

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
That Griz has seen some use but it will serve you a loooong time to come. We have some members with nearly three times that amount of miles. And from what I hear, they do not ride gently... Congrats on the Griz and welcome to GC.

By the way, I believe that if you change the pod, you start back over at 0 miles or whatever mileage a used one is showing. So make a note of the mileage on the original before changing. Just FYI...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts