Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks, here's what I think of this bumper.

I ordered this bumper last week by phone, and yes, I mentioned I was GC Premium member and recieved an additional 10% off. Shipping was 40 bucks to Vancouver Island, Canada. The bumper arrived in 6 days....extremely good time considering the bumper had to pass through customs.

The package (box) arrived in kinda rough shape, but the bumper was thoroughly wrapped in bubble wrap and upon inspection, the bumper arrived in excellent condition with only a minor paint chip on the far right corner.

I have the Yamaha OEM Canadian Front HD Bumper to compare to...so here are the comparisons:

1. The most obvious difference is the finish. The OEM front's paint finish is more of a semi-gloss and is smoother and the Super ATV rear bumper is matte and rougher (but well done). I suspect the Super ATV bumper will scratch much easier than the OEM finish. Not so much a big deal, but eventually it will have to be repainted.
2. Even though I am comparing a front and rear bumper, you can tell the weight of the Super ATV bumper is similar to the OEM bumper, which to me, means quality materials.
3. The welds on the Super ATV look pretty darned good and are comparable to the OEM front bumper.

Highlights of the Super ATV bumper:

1. The main uprights and the left and right bumper sections are fully boxed in which will result in superior strength and lessen the chance of damage in case I am rear-ended or back into a tree!!!! I wish my OEM front had fully boxed in end sections.
2. The upper "tube" is huge and looks awesome.
3. The smaller diameter tubing will protect my tail light.

Bolting up the rear bumper is very straight forward and is easly done alone. Only 8 bolts to torque up. The bumper attaches to two brackets that are bolted on to the rear rack supports that go down to the frame from the rear rack. The bumper can be adjusted in height depending on where you prefer it. Once I had the bumper bolted on, I lifted the back end of my Grizz by the bumper with no issues. The upper large tube is purely for asthetics, because it's too high to try to lift the rear end up....but, lifting by the left and right bumper ends make it's extremely easy to lift up the rear of the Grizz. Much easier than no bumper at all.

Now, the downfalls of this bumper:

1. Doesn't matter how I adjusted the brackets, the bumper does not sit parallel (from the side view) to the ground. I am quit particular (as you all may know by now) and this bugs me. The bumper is tilted upwards. (This may or may not be an issue with OEM Rear Bumper...not sure though)
2. This 2nd point is no fault of Super ATV in any way, but those who have the 2R billet exhaust tip, this bumper is going to need some modifying to get things proper. If I had the original downturned exhaust tip, this would not be an issue. After I got the bumper bolted up, I started my Grizz. Immediately I noticed a big difference in sound, the sound resonates off of the bumper. The exhaust was bouncing off of the bumper and was being directed forward. (I could tell because when you start my Grizz up when the outside temp is around 0 degrees celcius, the typical white exhaust is present until it warms up) I'm definitley NOT content with this, so I will figure out some sort of mod (I hope, 'cause I really like this bumper).

I'm hoping that these two downfalls will be rectified once I start modding the brackets.

As soon as I finished my initial assessment, my local Yami dealer phoned and let me know my new front diff was in (warranty work), so I unbolted the rear bumper and brought my Grizz down to the shop, so I will not be able to "play" with my new rear bumper until I get my quad back from the dealer.

One other bonus....the extra weight on the rear will hopefully compensate for the heavy weight of the front bumper, which means it's probably going to be easier to get the front wheels up!!!!

All right now...to summarize, this Super ATV rear bumper appears to be very well built and once I get the mods done, I will be very happy with it. The folks at Super ATV were great to deal with and I would definitely recommend them and their bumper to anyone.

Here's the pics:

(my stock tires and rims are on because it's going down to the dealer!!!!!!

See how the rear section is fully boxed in....and that's the paint chip I mentioned earlier!

This is what I mean by not sitting level, this should be an easy mod by drilling new bolt holes...

And this shot shows how the exhaust is directed straight into the bumper....

·
Registered
154 Posts
i also did mine all the way up in a previos post i said i say a oem picture shoing it all the way up i havent learned to post pictures im horrible with a computer use two zip ties youll get it even had to tap mine with rubber mallet to get perfect im very picky with my atvs

·
Registered
76 Posts
great review, good information and pics, i've been thinking about getting the Canadian version of the front bumber but the reviews of these from Super ATV have helped with decisions, I'll be ordering these front and rear soon. Thanks

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
It looks nice, surprised the exhaust is even an issure that far away. But moving slow I can see how it would, plus the resonation issue would be a pain. Not sure I would want extra weight, might have to design and build one made of Aluminum. Though I would add some lights to it, one thing that I think Yamaha should have already done is put two tail lights and at least one back-up light on the Grizzly.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WildWest @ January 28, 2009, 2:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nice Review Bil

Last night I moved my rear bumper all the way leaving about a 1/16- 1/8" from the rear rack and the exhaust barely hits the bumper.[/b]
Thanks. When I get my Grizz back from the shop, I think I will alter the brackets so that the bumper will sit higher and be vertically aligned. I was also thinking that maybe I could turn my 2R tip so that the angle is pointing down and outwards. I will have to wait and see though. One way or another, I will make it work and let y'all know what I've done.

I'm not a speed demon, although I enjoy going fast, so the extra weight for me isn't so much an issue...the majority of my riding is slow and technical.

·
Registered
142 Posts
OK, dumb question! If I pop a wheelie and it comes over to the back rack.....will i scratch the heck out of this bumper? I think its the only thing holding me back from this purchase. However, I will be ordering the front, because that just looks BA! I just couldnt see paying all that money for the OEM ones.

·
Registered
523 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crazyyankee @ January 29, 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK, dumb question! If I pop a wheelie and it comes over to the back rack.....will i scratch the heck out of this bumper? I think its the only thing holding me back from this purchase. However, I will be ordering the front, because that just looks BA! I just couldnt see paying all that money for the OEM ones.[/b]
yes you will hit the bumper if you do a 'full blown' wheelie..

This will happen w/ any bumper.

The rear bumper is cheaper to replace than the rear rack ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears the only part that would hit the ground is the two main uprights. I was thinking of getting some 1/8 inch rubber and affixing it to the main faces to avoid dents and scratches.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my machine back from the dealer today....they replaced my front diff under warranty...yahoooooo!!!!

So I looked at turning my 2R tip, but that's not going to work, if there were 4 holes and I could have 1/4 turned the tip, that might have worked, but a 1/3 turn points the exhaust essentially straight back and up!

I mucked around with the brackets to determine what needs to be accomplished for this bumper to work with the 2R tip....In order for the exhaust to be 90% clear of the bumper, the large diameter tube has to extend past the rear rack, and in order to accomplish this, the brackets on the bumper will have to be bent and two new holes drilled. The top hole will remain the same, the bottom holes lengthened and a new middle hole to ensure the bumper does not rotate from the enlarged lower holes. The hardest part will be bending the tabs on the bumper, but this should work. I will probably get this done this weekend and then I will post a full report with photos. From preliminary testing, the bumper looks better at this elevated position, in my opinion anyway!!!!

·
DJ
5,636 Posts
Seems like the easiest and best solution for the exh. tip would be to have a small section of thick wall aluminum tubing welded on to the current tip to direct it more downward. The hard part would be to find the correct size tubing. It would not have to be curved tubing. Strait tubing cut at an angle would do it. Just an idea that might help and would be cleaner looking solution. DJ

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks AZ08Grizz....My son mentioned that idea to me this afternoon, and yes, it is an option if the bracket idea doesn't work out. I could just put my OEM exhaust tip on, but man, I like the sound of the 2R tip!!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
i have had mine on since Nov of 2007 and its been hit by hondas, molested by trees and bushes, put though every canadian weather condition possible and still looks awesome.
best grizz 700 bumper i have seen yet.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I finished up modding the rear bumper.

As I mentioned earlier, I had to bend the tabs of the bumper and drill new holes for the lower bolts. Turns out I didn't have to put a third set of bolts in as the new holes were on their own, i.e., I didn't have to enlarge the existing lower holes on the brackets.

So now my rear bumper sits straight up and down vertically and is mounted high enough so that the exhaust is directed approx. 85% away from the bumper. The sound still resonates off the bumper, (not as much as before though)...but man, does my Grizzly sound cool now. It's like I have an unrestricted HMF or something now!!!!

I like how the bumper sits much higher now, my rear plastics are 100% protected now.

Here's the pics:

I based the vertical alignment on the left and right bumper ends and not the two uprights: (below)

Here`s the comparison pic from the stock assembly position: (below)

The tab that extends from the bumper are the ones that I had to bend in order to mount the bumper up higher: (below)

Now the exhaust only hits the very bottom portion of the main upright: (below)

....and no, the brake light visibility is not affected!!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
the one thing i also notice with the rear bumper. i get a lot les snow thrown up on rear of atv my freind was covered on back mine wasent cant wait to see diff in mud season whats your guys opion who ride in snow ps just ordered some elkas front and rear from bvc raceing cant wait my front end felt like it was to heavy ill do a write up when i get them in

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks bilinvic this post and review were very helpful I purchased the rear bumper from SUPERATV and did exactly what you said you ended up doing. Only 2 things that I find that I dont really care for is
1.) The info on the box MADE IN CHINA I really do wish that I would have known this, I probably would have held off and paid the extra money for something made somewhere other than CHINA, I guess I should have known for the price!
2.) The paint does not really seem to stick very well, I dont know if they powder coated it, it should stick alot better if it is indeed powder coating, what I did that chipped it would have never happened with a good powder coat job.

All in all it is a good product for the money, and your review was spot on. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
What if a person got this bumper and line-x'd it?? Reckon that would help out??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts