Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just curious how many of you ride alone. I'm more worried about the ATV leaving me stranded than anything. I do all necessary matinence and fluid changes and dont beat the ATV but just worried about having to leave the atv in the woods and trying to find help. Riding with someone is hardly ever an option. If I had to wait for schedules to line up I might as well sell it !!

·
Registered
28 Posts
About 1/2 my riding is solo. Not really too worried, just carry a good first-aid + fire starter kit and a usb battery pack to recharge the phone. I never venture more than 2-3 miles from roads when solo though, walking 10+ miles out would suck, but not nearly as bad as the COLD 10 mile walk I had to do when my snowmobile gave up the ghost (polaris triple)

·
Grizzled
3,507 Posts
1st question that needs asked is what year/model ATV and what is the maintenance history on it?

There are guys on here who report riding solo. But I'd bet they are very religious about the upkeep and maintenance of their Grizzly/Kodiak.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ride alone 99% of the time. I do 3000 miles per year. Currently a 2018 Griz 700 (had a 07 Griz 450 but was doing much fewer miles back then). I've never broken down but I'm on hardpack fast trails with no mud. They are also heavily traveled trails so most of the time someone around. But this is a huge reason I buy Yamaha, reliability.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I ride about 90% alone. Dirt Biking since the mid 80's and Atving since 2004. I ride in the mountains of Colorado. With that in mind cell phones don't help, no signal.. My wife bought me this thing called "Spot", which use satellite, and I can use it in a emergency. I've never been stranded, or had to work on any of the Yamaha's that I've owned. I do carry my fare share of tools/ first aid kits, spare gas,etc.. I also have a winch just to get my butt out of what I got my butt into. Smartest thing I've ever done, probably not, but I like to ride and enjoy the solitude. I do keep up with the maintenance.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I ride alone 95% of the time. I accept the risks I take.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ride solo 90% of the time and drive 20-30kms away from any civilized society but I carry a survival kit and a 12 gauge just in case I meet up with a bear or wolves

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700
34 Posts
I ride alone quite a bit. I keep tools for anything that is fixable. A couple extra ratchet straps, for suspension problems, such as broke ball joints

I also keep a jumper pack in my tools, if the battery doesnt get the machine started, i can still start it up.

And i just take the chance, along with maintenance ofcourse

20200510_104006.png

TACKLIFE T6 800A Peak 18000mAh Car Jump Starter (up to 7.0L Gas, 5.5L Diesel Engine) with Long Standby, Quick Charge, 12V Auto Battery Booster, Portable Power Pack for Cars, Trucks, SUV Amazon.com: TACKLIFE T6 800A Peak 18000mAh Car Jump Starter (up to 7.0L Gas, 5.5L Diesel Engine) with Long Standby, Quick Charge, 12V Auto Battery Booster, Portable Power Pack for Cars, Trucks, SUV: Automotive

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, I carry all the same stuff. I just have come to the conclusion that there is hardly anyone to ever ride with so I will go it alone and take my chances !!

·
Registered
203 Posts
95% of my riding is by myself. If I had to wait for someone else to ride I wouldn't hardly get to ride. Actually riding alone is preferred, no hassles, bullshit, or waiting.
I can get so much closer to the wildlife riding alone.
Keep up on maintenance, full coverage insurance, a GPS, good tires, proper tools, and a camo tarp cover if I ever end up leaving the Grizz in the woods due to a breakdown. 10,000+ miles and never been a problem.

Grizzly Dependability
Must have tools?
Official Wheel / Tire Thread

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
About 80% of the time riding alone exploring, extra fuel, powerpack, cell, flashlight, among other tools, I always tell somebody where i'm going and area I will be in, extreme maintenance on Grizz always with a good once over before I leave, I enjoy riding alone looking around for wild life and snapping a few pics, very peaceful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
"riding alone looking around for wild life and snapping a few pics, very peaceful "
The woods is my Church.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
334 Posts
Similar to others that most riding is alone, I always have a day pack on board that is also used for any outdoor activities that includes water, rain jacket, headlamp, fire starter, snacks, shovel, small tarp, fixed blade knife, handgun and a PLB in the my pocket. There is always a tow strap, small chain, pulley and a few other items in the basket. Being an avid hunter the kit stays pretty standard with the exception of winter time carry a few more items including a bivy shelter.
Learned a lot of lessons when living in Alaska, it is up to you to get back home safe. You can always hike out if prepared and proper mindset.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Similar to others that most riding is alone, I always have a day pack on board that is also used for any outdoor activities that includes water, rain jacket, headlamp, fire starter, snacks, shovel, small tarp, fixed blade knife, handgun and a PLB in the my pocket. There is always a tow strap, small chain, pulley and a few other items in the basket. Being an avid hunter the kit stays pretty standard with the exception of winter time carry a few more items including a bivy shelter.
Learned a lot of lessons when living in Alaska, it is up to you to get back home safe. You can always hike out if prepared and proper mindset.
What he said.

Want to add that you should have your phone with you, not somewhere in the machine. Just in case you get hurt and your machine rolls down a cliff, sinks, burns or any other catastrophic event. It is your most precious tool when something goes wrong.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
This is a good thread for the start of this new riding season.
If you have to ride with a cell phone security blanket, don't think about riding around here. The signals around here drop out a couple miles out of town, about 5 miles the other side of the pass behind us here;
https://flic.kr/p/fxcaqq I ride with others sometimes, carry a way to start a fire if staying out for the night and bad weather rolls on.
for me the most important safety strategy is to let someone know when to send the rescue squad if I do not report back by an exact time. I tell her the area I will be in, and I don't stray without checking back in, and if I say I will be back by 4 pm, at 4:01 she will start making a call, no exception!
This was a stuck in the snow 12 miles from the trailer;
https://flic.kr/p/jDRA5W
years ago I got caught out by a sudden storm and had a mine shaft to get into, that opening was just shoulder wide and 2000 ft. above treeline is a bad place to be out in lightning. The peak behind the griz is over 14,000 ft.
Now the government is sealing mine opening off because dummies and liability.
https://flic.kr/p/fxSH5F

·
Registered
2 Posts
so far I dont ride alone bit I wouldnt see a problem with the bike mines a 09 and seems to run just fine, rarely have to put it in 4x4

1 - 20 of 36 Posts