Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed a Rigid 10" SR light bar on the griz, mounted under the front rack. I haven't tested it out at night yet but my initial thought is that this is an impressive light bar!

I wanted the ability to control the light bar independently of any other lights while maintaining an OEM look. The switch I used mounted next to the factory handlebar switch for the lights, engine start/stop, etc.

Automotive tire Camera lens Vehicle Digital camera Reflex camera

The leads for the switch were on the short side but they followed the rest of the wires into the steering stem behind the headlight assembly.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring

A while back when I installed the winch I had purchased the Yamaha accessory wire harness which provides two switched connections from the key. One was used for the winch as mentioned. I tied one side of the light bar switch to the other lead from the Yamaha accessory harness. The wiring harness from Rigid comes with a toggle switch with a black, red, and blue wire. The blue wire is the trigger for the relay. I snipped a tiny hole in the Rigid harness, clipped the red wire going to the switch for the Rigid harness, and connected it to the Yamaha accessor harness which will provide the switched 12v connection to the handlebar switch. I connected the blue wire from the Rigid harness to the other lead from the handlebar switch.

This is the Rigid harness that I tapped into to connect the red wire going to the handlebar switch to the 12v from the accessory harness. Liquid electrical tape followed by electrical tape closed off the other end of the red wire which actually does carry voltage the way the Rigid harness is setup.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

This is the other end of the Rigid harness where the Rigid switch was intended to be. I'm using the red wire (switched 12v from the Yamaha accessory harness) and the blue wire (to the relay). The black wire was clipped off short, covered with liquid electrical tape and electrical tape and the whole thing wrapped in heat shrink.

Hood Automotive lighting Amber Motor vehicle Orange

And the modified Rigid harness from above connected to the leads from the switch on the handlebars. The wires were secured in the steering stem and zip tied to the existing wires and cables.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim

Next was the portion of the Rigid relay to power the light bar itself. This lead was shortened as it was too long. I cut probably 4ft from it, soldered the power and ground wires back together, wrapped in electrical tape followed by heat shrink.

Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Window Automotive tire Automotive design Silver Grey

And the lead from the light bar plugged into the modified harness.

Light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

The light bar itself was mounted to the front rack using clamps. The clamps came with a variety of rubber inserts to fit a variety of bars. I had to get longer bolts for the light bar. Rigid supplies 1/4" bolts that are 1" long. I grabbed some 1.25" stainless steel 1/4" bolts as a replacement. The photos below were before the power lead was routed through the scoop in the hood.

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Line

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: diverscale

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Continued...

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive mirror Grille

Obviously the last step was to connect the power and ground leads from the relay to the battery terminals. Wouldn't it figure that with the leads already connected to the battery the battery terminal bolts were too short to grab any thread once these leads were added. I found some longer bolts but I'll probably get an accessory L bracket to make sure I'm not bottoming out the longer terminal bolt on the battery.

And some day time shots of the lights on:

Automotive lighting Window Road surface Wood Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Tire Road surface Automotive tire Vehicle

Window Automotive lighting Hood Street light Sky

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was initially unimpressed with the switch I'm using for the light bar on the handle bars. It looks close to OEM but felt a little cheap. Once it was mounted up it has a solid tactile click/toggle to it (if that's even a good way to describe a switch?).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I love the location for the lightbar as well. It tucks in nice and clean instead of on top of the rack.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I like about that position is that depending on how the bar throws the light I can flip it around so its on top of the rack when the plow is on in the winter.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Great post! I run a 10" SR bar (from MotoAlliance) and I have had good luck with it. It's so much more fun riding at night when you can actually see!

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I finally got to check it out at night, well late dusk… I can’t believe how bright it is and how intentional the beam pattern is. I bought the Driving beam pattern, it looks excellent. I also have the amber plastic cover and it does an excellent job but I don’t see much use for it except for specific situations so I don’t have it on, the white light has more multi functional use for my purposes.

I wish I could figure out how to put one of their cubes in the handlebar light fixture…

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks all. I finally got to check it out at night, well late dusk… I can’t believe how bright it is and how intentional the beam pattern is. I bought the Driving beam pattern, it looks excellent. I also have the amber plastic cover and it does an excellent job but I don’t see much use for it except for specific situations so I don’t have it on, the white light has more multi functional use for my purposes.

I wish I could figure out how to put one of their cubes in the handlebar light fixture…
I think what Im gonna do is just run a light bar connected to my highbeams switch (disconnect the pod light) and put those pretty but useless led bulbs in the regular headlights just for looks

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Well I've never really been a fan of a rectangular light bar on the front of these bikes as personally I find it just doesn't tie into the looks of the round headlights and the body lines. But I got to say that 10-in bar fits in there really nice and I really kind of like that. Now I'm mad at you, because you have me contemplating spending more money now on my bike. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts