Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tore my 2020 Grizzly seat cover. Now what? The seat cushion is not damaged just the Vinyl seat cover has a big rip. What is the best way to fix this. My Grizz is in pristine condition being new so would like to do a perfect fix to it make it look new. Even use this opportunity to upgrade if that is even an option.
Is it possible to put real leather on these seats? or is it impossible to mold the leather to the Grizz seat?

·
Registered
2008 Grizzly
11 Posts
Sad thing man!
One benefit of the Grizz over most other ATV's is the seat is very comfortable. Assume that if it gets a leather cover you might lose some of that.
I'd guess your local upholsterer can re-cover it with vinyl.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am afraid the quality we love the most is what caused the cover to rip. It is very stretchy vinyl and I believe one of the goats or something punctured it and it ripped from there. Would the after market cover be the same quality? Vinyl is supper thin from factory.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
559 Posts
There are many after market seat covers out there. Just google “atv seat covers” do that same search on Amazon also and you will find some. You could also get another OEM seat cover from Yamaha dealer, they just get stapled on.

Reactions: TexasMonarchFarm

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Goat hide is tough and comfortable :)
Seriously though, we used to replace mx bike seat covers a lot. Just remove the current seat cover and staple the new one in place pulling out the wrinkles as you go around. Do the ends first, then work to the middle of each side evenly.
I would think leather holds water and vinyl is better.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
What it’s the best staple I can buy to do the job.
I use a stapler like this and staples roughly as long as the plastic shell is thick. Too long and you'll get one back through the seat cover in your........place you don't want a staple.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
What it’s the best staple I can buy to do the job.
Just take it to a upholster to have it done right, they will be able to match your seat cover, your bike is a 2020 have it professionally done, buy the Yamaha replacement if they can't match it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
An aftermarket seat cover is less than $50 shipping. An hour or two of your time and a staple gun and it’s done. I did my first one last year, looks stock.

As far as an upgrade, the OEM heated cover is $111 on Amazon, but it was rated horribly, getting stuck on high and melting seats. Might try an aftermarket one of those.

edit, actually I recovered a motorcycle seat or two when I was a kid and even made a seat for an old Tote goat (maybe it was a cushman scoter?). But those did look like a kid did it. Ugly and mostly serviceable. Like using a potato sack for a dress.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You could buy a new OEM cover and have it professionally installed or a while new seat.

Back in March, I ordered the cover from here for $60. Now it's $85 probably thanks to the pandemic. Had the cover installed for $40 or $50. Or you could buy a brand new whole seat for $163. Which is what I would do since the cover costs so much now and you don't have to deal with finding someone to install it.

Reactions: JOE96924

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up ordering the whole seat. It says it will take 10 days or so to arrive. Hopefully that will be the end of that saga. I went to local upholstery shop they wanted $225 to recover the seat. 2 hours labor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glad you’ve got it sorted.

$112/hr for upholstery work. I guess maybe I ought to look into that. Didn’t know I was that valuable. 😁.

·
Registered
2008 Grizzly
11 Posts
Tote Goat/Cushman, Toy??
Geez, thought I was the last on the planet to remember them! Yeah, kinda hard to mess up the aesthetics of those seats!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lol. Yes those weren’t too ergonomic. Ours was entirely custom. Just a rectangular platform with a cushion with a cover. Sort of like a couch cushion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a new oem seat for $108.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
559 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is correct I ordered a new seat. I also found a shop that is going to redo my ripped seat for $90 so I can have a spare with a better material. He seemed very confident that it will look great so I am going to let him do it to see how it comes out.
Planning to use Naugahyde made in USA. Very excited to see what that looks and feels like. Also figured out that Grizzly Seat fits the Kodiak just fine so if I do end up with nice Grizzly seat with Naugahyde I will use the one I ordered on Kodiak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The OEM seat is on backorder till end of Aug at least. In the mean time here is my recovered seat. It is not as flush as before with the thicker vinyl. But is fairly comfortable and way easier to clean; stuff does not stick to it like it did to oem seat cover.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That looks really good. More staples than I’d have imagined, but I’m an amateur to be sure.

I’m cheap, so I’d probably cancel the back ordered seat, unless I really needed it for another bike.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
That shop did a very nice job.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts