Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Grizzly mysteriously had no oil when I went to ride it, engine lost power and died about 10 minutes into a ride. No signs of a leak on engine... no oil spot where it was parked.. and I've never seen it smoke. I just rode the previous day, and just checked the oil within the last week, I've never had a problem with oil. But it happened... Sooo... When I turn over the engine it sounds of a horrible metal on metal screeching/scraping sound. What parts would you say are bad? Cylinder and Piston obviously. But what else? Rod bearing? Crank bearing? Just junk it and buy a replacement? Anyone need parts? LOL.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I will tell you exactly what needs to be done with out question. Step one : start taking it apart and find out what needs to be replaced. Asking us on here is truly pointless. If you hear metal on metal sounds coming from a motor chances are things are not good inside and the only way to tell what isn't good is to look inside .. best of luck to you as this will be a fairly long voyage

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
TRev is correct. Nobody can tell you what exactly needs replacement. The only way to tell this is to take it apart and inspect everything.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you don't want to take the time and effort to go through tis yourself, you can talk to the people at N flow for a new engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That sucks the big one, few different options. Any low mile used engines out there? or tear into and spec it all out...parts list will most likely be pretty extensive...once your committed, no sense cheeping out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bummer, must have been moving pretty good. Nothing broke on you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 2005 660 (blown base gasket). I ended up replacing the conrod, lower pin, and put in a new Wiseco 686 piston kit (it had a cheap 686 piston in it already). The cylinder and valve train were alright. I just had to hone the cylinder. It was a big job but was worth it in the end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for the replies guys.. but I took the easiest way out. I sold it. Got $450 out of it. I've just been having hell with Yamaha lately. My FZ1 the stator failed 2 months ago. About 3 weeks ago my Timberwolf 4x4 caught a stump and literally broke the middle gear into 2 pieces. Sold it too. And the Grizzly died. So got rid of the ATVs, and I'm getting rid of the bike in the spring when I can get more money out of it... Going to try some other brands. Just picked up a Bayou 400 4x4 that cranks up for $100. Plastics are beat and wiring needs a little help though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You posted this maybe oil in your air box ?

Hello! New to the forum and new to a Grizzly. Just got an 09 Grizz 350 2wd. Guy said was sitting about a year. Well I got it to putter a little with the pull cord and starter fluid into carb. So I bought it. I took carb off cleaned it, but it back. Checked oil, haven't changed it yet. Oil wasn't black, still looked pretty new. ATV looks to have no mods at all, still has stock tires. No hourmeter/odometer to know how much it's been rode though. Using the pull cord is ridiculously hard, Amazing compression? So that fixed it, it fires right up with no choke and idles fine, revs up fine, gears are fine, engine feels tight. But after 15-20 minutes of riding I looked and oil had pumped back into the air box so hard it came out the side of the box and was running down onto my left footwell and down that side of the engine, and air box was 1/4"+ deep in it. Sooo... I let it cool. Check oil, it's now so low it doesn't touch the dipstick. (checked without screwing it in) is this right? I then topped the oil off until it touched the top line on the dipstick without screwing it in. Then I took the breather line from air box to head and made sure it was nice and clear and it wasn't pinched. I cranked the motor and covered the crank vent on the head. Can feel air but it's light, pretty much the weight of my finger can seal it off, and I let it idle about 5 min and not a speck of oil came out that I seen. The pressure felt about the same as my Timberwolf 250s vent to me. So shouldn't have blow by, compression feels GREAT. I refuse to pull start it it's so difficult. Is there a compression relief valve for this thing? It has never smoked once, when cold or hot, at high rev or anything. When I idle it with no air filter or lid on and choke maybe 1/4 way on now and then I'll get a very faint back fire, but figure that's about normal with the lack of filter and choke on. What you guys think? Needs valve adjust? Timing? It sounds good. I'll check these things tomorrow. Also spark plug was good. A dry and clean plug with a light rusty color.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that only happened that once actually. Maybe oil was overfilled a little I don't know. But I done maintenance through the Grizz after posting that and never got oil in the airbox again. I changed oil/filter to Rotella T6, cleaned carb, adjusted valves, cleaned and oiled air filter, changed rearend fluid, put dielectic on connections and spark plug, and greased the clutch rollers. I rode it probably 100 hours since then... no problems at all. And I keep a check on oil in everything, just not every single time I ride. I had just checked it a day or 2 before and rode it the previous day. I really don't know what happened. It was riding fine for the first 10 minutes, then just died, never to wake up again...

·
Registered
785 Posts
EVERYTIME I'VE TAKEN ONE APART DUE TO LOW OIL ,USUUALLY BIG END OF CON ROD SEIZED. 50% OF THE TIME PISTON WAS DAMAGED AS WELL, 50% OF THE TIME PISTON AND CYLINDER WAS STILL OK

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well thanks for the replies guys.. but I took the easiest way out. I sold it. Got $450 out of it. I've just been having hell with Yamaha lately. My FZ1 the stator failed 2 months ago. About 3 weeks ago my Timberwolf 4x4 caught a stump and literally broke the middle gear into 2 pieces. Sold it too. And the Grizzly died. So got rid of the ATVs, and I'm getting rid of the bike in the spring when I can get more money out of it... Going to try some other brands. Just picked up a Bayou 400 4x4 that cranks up for $100. Plastics are beat and wiring needs a little help though.
I'm kind of taken aback by the "pointless to ask us a question" response you got. Sorry about that. You come to this place for help, and get b*tch slapped.

Just curious, did you notice if the drain plug was still there? I have heard of one vibrating out, and dumped all the oil without knowing about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked, drain plug was still there and tight. I really don't get it. I wasn't in love with it is why I didn't look into fixing it. A friends friend showed immediate interest and I just went ahead and let it go. Want something larger and 4x4. I had a Polaris Magnum 330 break a piston rod in half and low RPMs a year ago, never found a problem in the engine, nice bearings, piston and cylinder walls were nice, valves and cam were good... it just broke. I reused the crank, just bought new engine cases and connecting rod and piston with wrist pin and rebuilt it. Runs fine... Just one of those weird things that happen. Even used the same crank bearings.. Because the seemed perfect. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
...3 weeks ago my Timberwolf 4x4 caught a stump and literally broke the middle gear into 2 pieces...
Not to pick on ya, but how is that Yamaha's fault? 1) They didn't drive it into the stump, and 2) I know for a fact the skid plate protecting the middle gear is one tough SOB. Easily 1/8 ~ 3/16 formed plate steel.

I bounced mine over many a rock/stump never more than a ding in that plate.

If you removed it to increase clearance well... If it was removed before you got it I could give you a pass.

dw

·
Registered
527 Posts
I checked, drain plug was still there and tight. I really don't get it. I wasn't in love with it is why I didn't look into fixing it. A friends friend showed immediate interest and I just went ahead and let it go. Want something larger and 4x4. I had a Polaris Magnum 330 break a piston rod in half and low RPMs a year ago, never found a problem in the engine, nice bearings, piston and cylinder walls were nice, valves and cam were good... it just broke. I reused the crank, just bought new engine cases and connecting rod and piston with wrist pin and rebuilt it. Runs fine... Just one of those weird things that happen. Even used the same crank bearings.. Because the seemed perfect. Thanks for the help though.

Are you sure somebody isn't sabotaging your machines? :). That would explain the mysterious problems. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'm sure if you bought a new 16 grizzly your problems would be solved .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably not. I'd likely kill it within 3 months. I do ride my machines a bit hard, but I do my best to take care of them. It works great on motorcycles and cars. But I can go through ATV engines. Have an 81 GL500 with 62k miles.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,354 Posts
Probably not. I'd likely kill it within 3 months. I do ride my machines a bit hard
There are a number of us on GC that regularly beat the crap out of our machines and they keep on running.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well idk then. I've just had crap luck with Yamaha this year... and only owned anything by them since summer of last year. The timberwolf came to me with no skid plates at all and oversize tires. So it had decent clearance, but was a stupid design to stick anything below the frame to start with. The grizzly I honestly have no clue how it ended up without oil, but it did. Rode awesome the day before since I just greased the clutch rollers and cleaned up the CVT area. But it died like any engine would without oil. That one time you don't check oil before you ride always gets ya. But the damn oil light never came on, that would have saved the engine atleast. And it must work because the light comes on when I turn the key on. Then I have a FZ1, it hasn't been that bad, but with only 19k miles it needs a rectifier. I hope anyways. I tested stator and it was good, and bought the battery in June. And it's not charging at all. I can ride the bike til battery runs out and that's it. So I'm just gonna go ahead and get rid of it too while it still runs great and look something else. I know they can't be a horrible brand, and get rated #1 on motorcycles for reliability. And my friend has an 03 R6 with nearly 60k miles on it and never had any problem except clogged injectors one time and cleaned those and that's been a couple years ago. Hasn't even bought a battery in 5 years now. But like any normal person would do. When you have multiple problems with a particular brand you take a step away from them and give something else a shot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts