Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching tires while waiting for my stockers to wear out and I'm almost there. I'm looking at bighorns og in 26x9x12 on 4 corners on my stock 2017 griz eps LE rims. There are obvious benefits to same size on the corners but I'm concerned about traction with the smaller size on the rear. Also concerned that the tire height will be different because of the different rim size front to back. In addition is it going to look weird. Any advice? Any pics of bighorn og same size on the corners with stock rims?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
There might be a slight difference in height due to rims, but I don't think it would be enough to cause any issues. I've ran the same size tires all around before, but in order to get the maximin benefit of doing this I got the same size aftermarket rims to put them on. That way they could be rotated for even wear. Never got to fully see the benefits due to selling the set later on.

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
I know members with 10" wide O.G.'s around with A/M same size wheels, but not 9" wide tires. They are happy with the set up.
I have 7000 miles on O.G.'s with the rears down 75% and the fronts down 25%. It takes a long time to wear out these tires. I run 12" wide rear tires and these do most of the work.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Our frequently visiting member tythomps runs 26x9r12 on all four corners of his 450 eps Grizzly. Don't know if he runs factory rims but I'm sure he'd be willing to share info with you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't think about not being able to rotate with factory rims because of different size rim. That negates 2 primary benefits. I was thinking I could save by using factory rims and extend tire life by rotating. Not the case! Hmm, back to the drawing board. Maybe I do like many others, 26x9x12 front and 26x12x12 rear. The 26 og run closer to 27 and 26 2.0's run closer to true size?

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Don't get the 2.0 version.

Get the OG Bighorn's....far superior tire.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I find the 12" wide rear OG bighorns have a bit too much traction to have fun. I like a little power slide action and the 12" wide Bighorn OG's grip too well. Maybe if they gripped less i'd hate that too when I'm stuck in the mud.. haha..
I just see others sliding around corners a bit and I know there's no way im getting my grizzly to do that. it'll hook up and roll over.

I find that wide rear tires hurt me in the deep snow. I watched the rears have to cut their own path so to speak.. The rut left by the front tires is 9" wide and the rears would have to shave 1.5" off of each side of the snow rut. This shaved snow falls in the rut and piles as a loose surface that the rear tires get no traction on. My 27" 9's ans 11's Black diamonds were the most awesome tires ive ever run in snow. The rears measured really narrow. like 10.5" and fronts were 9.5" The rears followed so well in the ruts from the front.
I had a set of 27" STI outback XT's 10's and 12's on wheels.. Brand new.. I compared them back to back same day.. The outbacks needed 4x4 to even drive where the black diamonds had already made tracks in 2x4. The oubacks measured way wide, like 12.5-13" in the rear..

Next I had Maxxis Vipr in 26" 9's front 12's rear.. the rears were huge.. Same problem in the deep snow..

If you want to throttle and spin your trails up than Yes, they'd all go through.. But I was trying to pack dawn and create smooth beat down trails with no crazy spin marks.

My next tires will be narrower in the rear than the monster 12" Bighorns I have now.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Max is Viprs. 26x12x12 rears 9” fronts. Pic doesn’t do it justice as to how wide they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
My 26" O.G.'s measured 26.5"s true when new.
As for the 2.0's, the stated size is close to actual. I have ridden with other members using them and they work well when new, but wear much faster in rocky terrain, much faster.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Our frequently visiting member tythomps runs 26x9r12 on all four corners of his 450 eps Grizzly. Don't know if he runs factory rims but I'm sure he'd be willing to share info with you.
Yes I do. No regrets so far. Traction of the true 26 x 9 on the rear is far greater than the horrible stock tires. I don't have any experience with 12" OG's to compare to though. I'm running all 4 on aftermarket aluminum rims so they are all identical. Doesn't look odd at all either, IMO.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I've been researching tires while waiting for my stockers to wear out and I'm almost there. I'm looking at bighorns og in 26x9x12 on 4 corners on my stock 2017 griz eps LE rims. There are obvious benefits to same size on the corners but I'm concerned about traction with the smaller size on the rear. Also concerned that the tire height will be different because of the different rim size front to back. In addition is it going to look weird. Any advice? Any pics of bighorn og same size on the corners with stock rims?
The folks on this forum have been very helpful in my decision. When I upgrade, I am going to split the difference and go with 26x11x12 on all four corners. The general opinion seems to be that: Wides ( but not too wide) on all fours means better snow performance, more stability, and when coupled with 4+3 offset wheels, even more stability. I have EPS so steering effort is not a factor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thing that too Mainehunter. I wish Bighorn OG came in a 26x11x12 size. Its a good middle ground.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Personal I wouldn't run 11" wide tires in the front.
My 26x11" XTRs are big bulky heavy tires.

Attachments

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I do. No regrets so far. Traction of the true 26 x 9 on the rear is far greater than the horrible stock tires. I don't have any experience with 12" OG's to compare to though. I'm running all 4 on aftermarket aluminum rims so they are all identical. Doesn't look odd at all either, IMO.

Tythomps do you have any more pics of your rig with the 9's on all corners?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Tythomps do you have any more pics of your rig with the 9's on all corners?
Not at the moment. But I'm hunting this weekend so I'll snap a couple more. Any specific angle you're looking for?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks ty good luck on the hunt. Anything you can snap that you think helps show how it looks is much appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Personal I wouldn't run 11" wide tires in the front.
My 26x11" XTRs are big bulky heavy tires.
Hmmm, you have a point there. In the Kenda 587 HTR Bear Claws that I will be getting, the 26x9 is 6 pounds lighter than the 26 x 11. I need to think on this some more. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

Nice looken wheel and tire combo. Shows how sometimes less is more.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The folks on this forum have been very helpful in my decision. When I upgrade, I am going to split the difference and go with 26x11x12 on all four corners. The general opinion seems to be that: Wides ( but not too wide) on all fours means better snow performance.
As fare as snow performance me and my buddy have experienced the opposite. My Grizzly's XTRs have a wide foot print compared to my buddie's Grizzly with Swamplite's narrow tread / foot print. Both bike's tires width are 9" front and 11" rear.
His Swamplites in winter are bare none better then my Xtrs. His always tracks perfectly streight where I'm a bit all over the place, and he needs 4wd less then me. On hardpack snow I don't have much issues, but when the snow is soft, fluffy, wet, slushy etc... His bike is just easier to drive then mine.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Nice looken wheel and tire combo. Shows how sometimes less is more.
Thanks. I only paid $465 for the full set, mounted and shipped to my door. We'll see how the tires hold up, but of all the big horn knockoffs out there, these ones by far had the best reviews and best wear life, apparently. Figured for the money, even if they live half as long as OG's, I'm still in ok shape.

As fare as snow performance me and my buddy have experienced the opposite. My Grizzly's XTRs have a wide foot print compared to my buddie's Grizzly with Swamplite's narrow tread / foot print. Both bike's tires width are 9" front and 11" rear.
His Swamplites in winter are bare none better then my Xtrs. His always tracks perfectly streight where I'm a bit all over the place, and he needs 4wd less then me. On hardpack snow I don't have much issues, but when the snow is soft, fluffy, wet, slushy etc... His bike is just easier to drive then mine.
Really looking forward to getting some decent snow and trying these out!

Thanks ty good luck on the hunt. Anything you can snap that you think helps show how it looks is much appreciated! Thanks
Thanks. We did have good luck tonight, filled a couple bonus doe tags. But that meant no time for taking pictures tonight either. Will do tomorrow. But those 2 pics I posted do a pretty good job of showing what the machine looks like with them. I'll do a straight on back shot for sure though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts