Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several posts regarding the clutch mods (Coops, JBS, Hunterworks, etc). What I’m stuck on is that it appears some machine the channels of the roller weights “deeper” to allow the weights to sit lower to achieve the lower ratio effect versus changing the angle of the face. If the concept is “deeper channels” then why not just use smaller diameter weights? The only negative I would see is possibly a top end loss.

So if a shim is the poor mans trick, what about removing the cover on the oem weights, this would reduce diameter and weight by about 1gram which should allow them to sit “deeper” in the channel correct?

Primitive thinking that may have been addressed, but I can’t find a post that talks about the effects of small diameter weights nor does it appear anyone sells them.

Please educate me.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have read several posts regarding the clutch mods (Coops, JBS, Hunterworks, etc). What I’m stuck on is that it appears some machine the channels of the roller weights “deeper” to allow the weights to sit lower to achieve the lower ratio effect versus changing the angle of the face. If the concept is “deeper channels” then why not just use smaller diameter weights? The only negative I would see is possibly a top end loss.

So if a shim is the poor mans trick, what about removing the cover on the oem weights, this would reduce diameter and weight by about 1gram which should allow them to sit “deeper” in the channel correct?

Primitive thinking that may have been addressed, but I can’t find a post that talks about the effects of small diameter weights nor does it appear anyone sells them.

Please educate me.
Yes I have thought about this as well. Please educated us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading 40 pgs of one post I answered my own question. In theory You will lose top end because the cam plate won’t press out as far with smaller diameter. So it is easier and cheaper to shim then to buy smaller diameter weights. And I imagine if you remove the black covers that surround the stock weights to reduce their overall diameter there would possibly be more abrasion, friction, and noise.

Now I’m on the quest of “home made” slugs. They appear to be simply a brass bar cut to size.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
The covers add 2 grams for weight.
If you add shim and the top speed lowers for your style, cut the cam plate to regain top speed lost by shim.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The clutch slugs are actually not a perfect cylinder shape. They have a slight taper and only go in one way.
Or at least mine were like that. Some of them almost need to be squeezed in with a Vise. Mine were a snug fit, but I did press them in with just my fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Sure smaller roller weights will do something similar to what a shim will do....But....

Smaller weights will not do what machining does.

It is very difficult finding a 28-29 mm weight. I've looked.

The 30mm could be turn down to maybe 29 there would be a problem with the life of the roller and it would be difficult for the average person. Lighter weights are most times undesirable. So you would need to start with heavier weights.

Most importantly never ever run the roller weights without the covers! It will destroy the sheave and the camplate.

Bottom line...stick with what is proven.

My 2.0162¢

1 - 6 of 6 Posts