Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I use to seal the cases? The service manual says Yamabond (of course) but the dealer here doesn't have any left in stock. Could I use Permatex Ultra Grey or Ultra Black? I've heard that the Ultra Grey is the same as Yamabond.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Permatex make excellent products, as long as you follow the proper method of use, you should be good to go.

Reactions: Scorpyon

·
Registered
269 Posts
Should be good as long as area is super free of oil, I use a spray brakeclean & toothbrush on the area then push a small amount of sealant into the joint with strong finger pressure before covering area & the most important, let the sealant set a couple of days so hot oil doesn't try & sneak past the sealant while it's still setting.

·
Premium Member
10,695 Posts
I've used Permatex on dirt bike cases with no problem.
Before the final cleaning, I lightly scuff the surfaces.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys! Would someone know what the difference is between the grey and black? The tackiness?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! Would someone know what the difference is between the grey and black? The tackiness?
use the grey its for high torque applications, I am a auto mechanic and I have used it on many occasions and it works very well. if you can find the heavy duty gray even better yet....

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
just buy some online its not that expensive i've used the yamabond 4 on my grizz and my kx250 good stuff. I've used the permatex blue stuff to with no prob can't go wrong really but if you really want the yamabond just buy some and have it shipped. it will last many cases.

·
Premium Member
7,929 Posts
I've used black because it is oil resistance for most Griz apps. with no issues.
Google..Permatex Ultra Grey vs Ultra Black
Plenty of info on Permatex's site.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have used the Ultra Grey on atv engine cases and transmission cases with no problem, great stuff. Main thing is surface preparation, I use a rag sprayed with brake cleaner to super clean the surfaces for the best adhesion.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your input! I got the Permatex Ultra Grey.

It says to lay a 2 to 6 mm bead. My case is 6.5mm think at the mating surface (in general). How much should I put on and how thick? I don't want any oozing into the cases.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just to give closure to this thread; I laid a bead about 3mm wide on one mating surface, the one without the transmission in it. Where the mating surface was wider, I made sure that about 50% was covered. I then put the cases together and finger tightened the bolts in a crisscross pattern. Then I waited one hour and torqued to spec, again, in a crisscross pattern.

The instructions say to wait 24 hrs before returning the vehicle to service and IMO that's the most important part. The sealant gets to fully dry before any oil gets in contact with it. That way, the sealant that oozes a bit at the seem inside the cases will be MUCH less likely to become detached.

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Just to give closure to this thread; I laid a bead about 3mm wide on one mating surface, the one without the transmission in it. Where the mating surface was wider, I made sure that about 50% was covered. I then put the cases together and finger tightened the bolts in a crisscross pattern. Then I waited one hour and torqued to spec, again, in a crisscross pattern.

The instructions say to wait 24 hrs before returning the vehicle to service and IMO that's the most important part. The sealant gets to fully dry before any oil gets in contact with it. That way, the sealant that oozes a bit at the seem inside the cases will be MUCH less likely to become detached.
Yup! That's the right way to do it. Good job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts