Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whats an alternative way to reinstall the spring? I can get the spring off using an impact gun, but getting it back on to specified torque is the problem. The last time I tried doing it, I wasn't able to tell if I got the spring nut back on to the right torque, and I did not have a torque wrench. All I had to use was the impact gun to get it back on, then tried to do it with a wrench, but I could only get it on so much without anything actually holding the sheave. I also had a problem with the socket that I was using, it just wasn't catching, but I did get a new 45mm socket for an impact gun, which looks like it should catch the nut better. I do have a torque wrench as well, but I don't know if I will beable to get that nut back on to the specific torque with that alone.

I did make a tool/holder for my secondary sheave, to get that off, although I haven't tried it yet. And I am trying to think of a way to use that same tool to hold the sheave while I take the spring off and on, and maybe allowing me to use a regular torque wrench to get that nut on. Hoping it works out well. But any other ideas would be great. I'd had to take it all apart today and not beable to get everything back on... The main thing is getting the spring nut back on to the right torque, and to make sure it is on to where it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Reactions: Bperley and Blklab

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a thread where I did mine with home made tools I made from information from this forum.

http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-engine-transmission/47610-secondary-spring-install-no-impact.html

Thanks. I ended up just making some makeshift holders and compressor out of scrap 2x4's and boards. The compressor I used was just acouple 2 x 4's with a flat piece of board with a hole cut in it. I used the tire/wheel method before, so I decided to just make something similar with boards. I did however needed another person to help me compress the spring and then get it back on. But everything worked and I got the spring nut back on with my torque wrench to specs. I'm not going to be messing with the secondary again, hopefully not for a very long time. :) All is well, now its time to get back to tuning my carb and maybe adding the shims back in soon.

Reactions: it400
1 - 3 of 3 Posts