Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased a blue secondary spring. I've machined my clutch and got more bottom end, and intended to put in the spring. Question is....my machine takes a bit to wind out to top speed as is, won't it make it tough for my primary to close all the way? And I'm guessing it would also give me improved torque in mid range?

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
The secondary spring tension holds the primary together. The belt is pulled as low in the primary as the weights will let it go.
The spring causes pull on the belt from one side and the weights against the movable sheave from the other.
The placement of the weights in the channel is determined by the rotational force from the shaft driven by the engine.
No primary rotation and the weights are in the at rest position near the center of axis for the primary pulley by the force on the belt from the secondary spring.
As the weights are slung out from the rotational force of the primary pulley turning the weights move along the cam plate and force the movable sheave against the belt.
This increases the force on the belt, increases the circumference the belt contacts the primary sheaves and this causes the secondary to open giving up contact area on the secondary pulley.
A stronger spring in theory, and to a small degree in real time, retards the ability of the weights to move in their channels. Technically it takes increased rotational force from the primary, but without a tachometer most can't feel much change in up-shift. It may be as little as a couple hundred rpm which is hard to hear or feel.
What most experience is less belt slip and more back-shift.
What did your final ratio change to?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou for the thorough explanation! I havent checked the ratio. Will do asap. I guess the best way to find out how much it will retard the upshift is to put it in? I really dont ever ride at top speed, so i suppose it doesnt matter that much anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts