Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone! Hope this is an easy one that someone has done before. When i put my Grizzly in park sometimes i have to rock back and forth for it to show the P light and actually engage park. Is there an adjustment in some linkage that needs tightened?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
There is adjustment in the linkage. Generally, if you get neutral set correctly the rest work as they should. Although a little tweaking might be required.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured as much but thought i would ask before i started tinkering with it, thanks for the confirmation!

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
What machine?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
It has been in my experience with almost all Yamaha Ultramatics with a park feature (except the 700), they usually require a little movement or rocking to fully engage. Normal operation to me if all other positions work correctly and properly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also own a 2010 550 that works smooth as glass. It has 798 miles on it so they have pretty close to the same mileage

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I also own a 2010 550 that works smooth as glass. It has 798 miles on it so they have pretty close to the same mileage
My 09 550 some times shifts smoothly and others times it's a complete pain. I've adjusted the linkage a few time already. Adjusting its length longer or shorter only made shifting worse.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
On the 700's it is recommend that the rear brake hand and foot cables be adjusted before adjusting the shifter. This has more to do with the shifter lockout than the light. But if the rig is hard to shift it is more likely to not activate the switch.
Even with that adjusted properly it is sometimes necessary to rock the Griz to activate the shifter switch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the 700's it is recommend that the rear brake hand and foot cables be adjusted before adjusting the shifter. This has more to do with the shifter lockout than the light. But if the rig is hard to shift it is more likely to not activate the switch.
Even with that adjusted properly it is sometimes necessary to rock the Griz to activate the shifter switch.
Greatly appreciate the knowledge, i was considering new brake pads for it anyway so it will be a good time to make sure it is all adjusted properly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
FYI: if I am not mistaken the locking nut on the linkage adjustment closest to the front or the shifter is (left handed threads), pay attention to the threads, may save you some Grief!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI: if I am not mistaken the locking nut on the linkage adjustment closest to the front or the shifter is (left handed threads), pay attention to the threads, may save you some Grief!
That is a good heads up, will be watching for that. I am all too familiar with the left hand thread and what they can cause if caught off guard. I bought the Yamaha Grizzly repair manual for reference material just in case in case i need it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts