Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my shift knob and also make it shorter so it has clearance for my windshield. I believe the rod the knob sits on is not round though but flat on the top couple inches? I know I have seen people replace their knobs with balls or skulls ect.. so how do you do that as most balls come with a round hole. I would like to here ideas from anyone who has replaced their knob on a newer (2015-2022) Grizzly/Kodiak. Appreciate any ideas.

· Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,472 Posts
Yes, the shift shaft is flattened towards the top of it with a hole in the shaft where the knob connection is made, via a plastic rivet, to keep it tightened down and intact. The shift shaft is actually fairly inexpensive and not hard to replace, you could purchase a second one, cut it down and try to flatten the end with something like a flat chisel to replicate the flattened area on the OEM part, then drill a hole. It looks very doable. Just make sure you don't cut it too short.

I do have an aftermarket aluminum shift knob on mine. There are two hex screws that hold my aftermarket knob in place.
Joint Arm Gesture Font Line

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have been looking on ebay for aluminum knobs that are just a ball and have set screws, but no balls seem to have them only longer type knobs. Where did you find yours?

· Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,472 Posts
I bought mine via RCMshiftKnobs but they don't seem to be selling them anymore even though their web page is still around, everything is out of stock. And the last time I was asked, 1 1/2 years ago it was the same thing.

Worse case for you, I would just try shortening the shift shaft and reuse the shift knob. Should be pretty easy to duplicate the shaft to get the OEM knob to fit again.

· Premium Member
'23 XTR
238 Posts
I have mine all measured up with a few designs I'm tossin around. I'll post results. If nothing else, you can always DIY a shim or I can make you one for whatever you do find.

· Premium Member
'23 XTR
238 Posts
I'm planning to shave/cut the "oval" shape off, and use that hole as the cap mount on my shorty.

Keeping it above the stock tolerance for the existing hardware.

I'll post some pics as I go.

· Premium Member
'23 XTR
238 Posts
Got the oval cut. My first test knob is printing now.

I'll post some shots once I get the tester finished. The cut was pretty easy with the diamond wheel + dremel combo. From the new top to DC of the OEM hole is 6.25mm for this build.

Regardless of what you decide to do, a shim/spacer would not be hard to make.

· Premium Member
'23 XTR
238 Posts
Printed a test boot. Fit perfect.

Switching to a nice stainless M5, and designed in a T nut pocket.

I have the print set to change filaments on the last layer before that cavity is sealed off. I'm adding a red stripe, cause why not. 😅

NOTE: the colors of the layers are not the filament colors, just the layer adjustments / infill vary. The final print will be solid black with a thin red stripe.
Dimensions are ~x2" x y2" x z3" or 51mm x 50mm x 70mm and should remove about 2" from stock height. Printing in TPU / Semi-Flex

· Premium Member
'23 XTR
238 Posts
Here we go. This is a simple, thicc, semi squishy short throw. I'm going to make a few more designs. I'd like to see a little grenade, maybe a skull...who knows. Love the fit, it's very snug. The M5+tNut hold things in place very nicely without any threading.

V1: TPU Shorty w/ threaded insert.

Overall this design removed 1.75" from stock height. You could easily drop another 1/2" without any trouble. I just wanted a slightly squishy top.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts