Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought my 05 660 grizzly and it wont go into low and my light wont come on in park so i have to start it in nuetral how would i adjust the linkage or could it be some thing else

·
Registered
598 Posts
No it sounds like your linkage. Pull the side cover off by the shifter. Loosen the nuts on both ends and turn the shaft to adjust it

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Take the left side black panel off there is a long silver rod there hooked to your shifter.

There is a lock/jam nut at each end. I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure one nut is left hand thread and the other is right hand. Loosen both then put your shifter into low and adjust the rod until you can get low gear.
If the balls on the ends have play or your shifter box has play you won't be able to get low and park so just adjust it for one or the other.

As for starting in gear. You should be able to pull the left hand brake to start the bike at anytime so you don't have to look for a park or neutral light.

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
on mine the square rod that goes into the shift handle was worn, i put a piece of pop can to shim it so it was tight, i could not get it into park and low so i had it set for low till i fixed it

make sure both ends are tight and adj the linkage, put it in neutral and adj the rod till the light is on and try both park and low and see if its right, it does not take much to get it out of adj

Reactions: Outlaw41

·
Registered
780 Posts
on mine the square rod that goes into the shift handle was worn, i put a piece of pop can to shim it so it was tight,
Same way I fixed mine! Works like a charm now!

·
Registered
105 Posts
and snag a Factory service manual off the internet for $10..

waltinbatonrouge
I've been looking. Where are they for 10$. I'm seeing 27$ or 30$ from clymer

·
Registered
105 Posts
on mine the square rod that goes into the shift handle was worn, i put a piece of pop can to shim it so it was tight, i could not get it into park and low so i had it set for low till i fixed it

make sure both ends are tight and adj the linkage, put it in neutral and adj the rod till the light is on and try both park and low and see if its right, it does not take much to get it out of adj
Sounds easy enough. I'm seeing where some people have to take a bunch of stuff apart to get to it and some just pop the side cover off the shifter. What did u have to do?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I found a factory service manual for free. Can't remember where. Clymer manual had its place, factory manual has the best info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
780 Posts
For my 660, I had to take a lot of stuff off. No biggie though. It was straight foreward stuff. Nothing tricky. Nothing to it, but to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you pm me your email address I can send you the 660 manual.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is a pretty old post...Having same sort of troubles out of a 2008 Grizzly 350...No N or R lights and atv wont turn over with rear brake pressed either...I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
I realize this is a pretty old post...Having same sort of troubles out of a 2008 Grizzly 350...No N or R lights and atv wont turn over with rear brake pressed either...I'm stumped.
Welcome from Colorado.
Consider starting a new thread for your questions, sometimes new questions in old threads get lost.
You may have several things/problems here, the first thing to do is make sure the kill switch is not engaged....no offense meant but this has been the case in the past.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts