Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Ed. We are new to your group. We have a small repair shop and we took in a 2003 Grizzly 660. The owner cannot get it out of Reverse.

Our inspection found the following; the bolt holding the shift linkage to the external shift mechanism falling off, the foot brake lever way out of adjustment as was the left hand brake lever and the shifter cable. The shift rod lock nuts were loose. All issues have been adjusted per the factory manual. All adjustments have been check to make sure they are set correctly.

Now you can shift into every gear MOST of the time, the rest of the time the external shifter mechanism gets stuck in Reverse even though the shift lever is in Neutral. Starting in Park and going towards Low if you slightly rock the machine sometimes it goes into Park and the indicator light works, you can also start the machine in Park. Reverse, goes into with no problems ever. Neutral, hard to get into some of the times. Low or High, goes into IF the external shift mechanism does not get stuck in Reverse. You can leave all shifter levers, rods, cables connected and manually assist the external shifter mechanism by hand and all works as it is suppose to.

Here is my question, is the shifter lever housing just worn out? I don't like buying and HOPING the new part will fix the problem so I asking for some guidance. I have written about ths problem somewhere in your fourm but I can't find it

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
To find your posts..
Click on your user name
Then click on "find more posts by BII"

·
Registered
983 Posts
remove the shift guide (forked shaped item) at the engine, leave the 10mm nut off. rotate the shift drum directly with a small open end wrench. (may have to roll bike a bit)
does bike click into each gear with lights on instrument cluster indicating correctly?

that exercise should answer your question.

If not sure, get wheels off the ground and run the bike, making sure to brake spinning wheels before shifting

walt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already tried that before I asked the group for help. And yes, you can get all gears with indicator lights. Which is why I thought the shifter is worn out. I have seen where others had made a shim out of soda cans and claim the solves their shifter problems. (Some thing about a square shape shaft) Now, I see there are different shifter mechanisms, is there an upgrade that will work better then the 2003 factory shifter? Sorry to not respond sooner. I did a very rare thing, I took a vacation.
Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts