Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my shifter. I've replaced the arm, which was broken, and the rod. And now putting it back together,I'm not getting into "P". My question basically is if the lever has a bend in it or is it straight. Pictures shows that it is straight but mine is bent and I know I didn't bend it. The rod itself is barely reaching both ends. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Hey...grizzlyhab...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

First we need to know what machine? If you set up profile signature everyone will know what machine and modifications you have.
Most all hand levers and shift rods are straight.

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Knowing what you ride will be handy, and if you look at pictures and your's is different you may have found the problem. Your's may have bent before breaking :)
If a grizzly, with the engine not running I would put the trans in reverse by hand and the shifter box in reverse and make the rod fit without moving either attachment point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey...grizzlyhab...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

First we need to know what machine? If you set up profile signature everyone will know what machine and modifications you have.
Most all hand levers and shift rods are straight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. It's a 2014 700 Grizzly FI EPS
I just bought a new rod, and ya, it's straight,but for the life of me, can't figure out how I could of bent the lever. I would think that you'd see a crack or something,but there isn't
anything on it to say it bent.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Any time I have witnessed one of these bent it was because the rider had forced shifted it when there was strain on the specific position it was in. Example, the transmission was in park position with the ATV on am incline. This puts load on the transmission is park. It is difficult shift because of this load. The rider forces it and bends the shifter rod.
The same can happen if the transmission is in a forward gear, and is stopped heading downhill with the engine off. The engine brake will engage and engine compression will hold the bike in place. Again, this places a load on the transmission gears and will be difficult to shift if you try before starting the engine.

If you ever have a situation where there is a load on the transmission, rock the bike using your body weight before shifting. This will allow you to shift the transmission without breaking anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any time I have witnessed one of these bent it was because the rider had forced shifted it when there was strain on the specific position it was in. Example, the transmission was in park position with the ATV on am incline. This puts load on the transmission is park. It is difficult shift because of this load. The rider forces it and bends the shifter rod.
The same can happen if the transmission is in a forward gear, and is stopped heading downhill with the engine off. The engine brake will engage and engine compression will hold the bike in place. Again, this places a load on the transmission gears and will be difficult to shift if you try before starting the engine.

If you ever have a situation where there is a load on the transmission, rock the bike using your body weight before shifting. This will allow you to shift the transmission without breaking anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've seen, that shifter has to be straight. Here are some pics of the shifter. There aren't any kinks on it and they are pretty solid,so that's my problem. Probably going to get a new one anyway now.

Attachments

·
Grizzled
3,516 Posts
Yeah, should be straight. I've broke one on a '07 Grizzly. But my '07 Grizzly was a bit "difficult" shifting when on plow duty. Not very pricy to replace, just replace it and not deal with a "no shifter" issue when out riding. Or, make sure you have something that can be used as a temp replacement, like a phillips screw driver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts