Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 XTR, Coop45 sheave, Epi Gold spring,Ehs programmer and air lid w/ K&N, 27" zillas
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well got around to installing my shims .07 on top of my coops machined sheave mod #3. Time will tell how bad if it rubs. Noticed a little rubbing already with just the machined sheave in a spot. Here's a pic of how high the belt rides in the secondary. Who else is running mod #3 and shims?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Well got around to installing my shims .07 on top of my coops machined sheave mod #3. Time will tell how bad if it rubs. Noticed a little rubbing already with just the machined sheave in a spot. Here's a pic of how high the belt rides in the secondary. Who else is running mod #3 and shims?
I've run my coop sheave with 0.5 mm shim . I'd get 3.1:1 initial ratio

I'm currently running no shim. I'm @ 2.95:1

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 XTR, Coop45 sheave, Epi Gold spring,Ehs programmer and air lid w/ K&N, 27" zillas
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to check the cage clearance before I put the cover back on. Can anyone verify it shouldn't rub?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just ran it shortly and little rub. 2 spots on secondary. 1 o'clock and 6-7 o'clock spots.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Perfectly normal.... Ride on and enjoy!

Reactions: GrizzlyXTR

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,049 Posts
Yep, normal. I'm running coops primary and .7mm shim on mine. You'll get a bit of rubbing in the 11 and 7 o'clock secondary locations on the CVT cover, which should wear in mildly but not through the cover. You might also hear a quick and mild knocking sound upon decel, which is because of that rubbing. Eventually, the sound and rubbing should go away. I never have had any rubbing from the primary moveable sheave grease cover screws on the cage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks guys!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, normal. I'm running coops primary and .7mm shim on mine. You'll get a bit of rubbing in the 11 and 7 o'clock locations on the CVT cover, which should wear in mildly but not through the cover. You might also hear a quick and mild knocking sound upon decel, which is because of that rubbing. Eventually, the sound and rubbing should go away. I never have had any rubbing from the primary moveable sheave grease covers screws on the cage.

So what ratio does that make ours?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Reactions: RedRocket

·
Grizzled
4,049 Posts
As Vincent mentioned, you need to individually check yours as each machine can be different. I recently checked my ratio with coop machined primary and .7mm shim, it is at 3.05:1. That is with about 1000 miles on her. When I bought this used Grizzly, only had 320 miles, and added in my primary and shim the ratio count was at 2.95:1. Obviously it was the larger belt width with lack of miles why the ratio count was lower. Now that I put some miles on her and the belt settled in, the count went slightly up.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay, but I gotta be close to 2.95 right? I took a video but it too big to post for some reason. I'm a tad over 3 turns to 1 on the secondary if I did it right. Im probably 3 turns and 1" on primary. A little over 300 miles on grizzly.

·
Grizzled
4,049 Posts
A tad over 3 turns to one puts you at somewhere around 3.05-3.1 :1

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks redrocket!

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Shimming is what moves the movable sheave closer to the cage and most 700's will accept 1.7 mm's of shim without rubbing. The reason we use COOP's machined sheave, which removes material from the inside of the primary, is to get a higher ratio without the grease cover screws rubbing the cage.
Just after 3:1 the belt reaches the cover as the belt rides higher in the secondary, and it only touches the cover at take off, then the belt is pulled into the secondary as ground speed increases and the rubbing stops.
There are 24 fins on the movable sheave and I count to the half of fin to calculate the ratio.

Reactions: wgc and Vincent
1 - 14 of 14 Posts