Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, has anyone had experience with warranty replacement on the shocks and wheel bearings on their grizzly/kodiak? I looked at my machine last night and found three out of four shocks leaking oil, and I'm 99% sure I have a front left wheel bearing going out. My question is I'm wondering how much of an uphill battle am I possibly facing getting these covered by my extended warranty? Machine is stock aside from 28" tires. I'm planning on bringing it in regardless, just curious how much Advil I should take in advance for the headache, lol :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
This really all depends on your dealer. They are all warranty items under the extended warranty IF you purchased the Yamaha warranty package. If its an aftermarket warranty, good luck with that.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Hey...Tig..Our local dealer has been great with wheel bearings being covered. To avoid down time I always replace my own. The service manager told me to bring in the old bearing/s they'll give me new ones.
I think one of our riders got new shocks also. They won't cover knuckle bushings, weird.

Had a shock go on my 13 Griz at 15k miles took it to a different dealer they covered it.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
If you still have the stock tires I would throw them on there if it's convenient because they might deny the wheel bearing due to the big tires.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This really all depends on your dealer. They are all warranty items under the extended warranty IF you purchased the Yamaha warranty package. If its an aftermarket warranty, good luck with that.
It is the factory extended warranty, so that's a plus. I've had them warranty the CV joints in the past, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about them. I've had decent luck with this dealer in the past. not world beaters, but not terrible, lol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you still have the stock tires I would throw them on there if it's convenient because they might deny the wheel bearing due to the big tires.
I do still have them, but they're off the rims, about four hours north of me at the cabin, lol. I've been keeping my eyes open for a cheap set of stock rims to throw them on, but just haven't come across the right deal yet. I was kinda thinking the same thing though. I have a buddy who has a full stock setup on his machine that I'm sure would be willing to trade for a little while, but his machine is beyond buried in his garage. Not really accessible to get wheels off. :/ I'm talking boat, snowblowers, mowers, toolboxes kinda buried, lol.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Tig... where is you dealer? I here that Larsons up in Cambridge is a good dealer.
Since the Grizzlies and Kodiaks can be bought with outlaws and other big tires I would think that would be a factor but you never know.
If you were going to our local Honda dealer you have to pull of the EHS stuff and the tires.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, just a quick follow up, Yamaha decided to goodwill all four shocks if I pay labor. I'm honestly very okay with that. As for the wheel bearing, found out myself that's not it. Still don't know what the occasional click is, as it's not the CV or the bearing, but oh well. I jacked the machine up and found my front skidplates I welded up were contacting the banjo fitting on the caliper, pushing it back in every time I turned hard with the suspension close to fully extended, which would explain why it seemed worse on rougher crawling situations vs smooth trail. I tried finding play in the wheels while jacked up by the center of the frame, and I couldn't feel a thing. So all in all, I guess I feel pretty good with the outcome of everything. Should have the machine back by the end of next week hopefully. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts