Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Grizzly is in the process of having both front shocks covered under warranty. It has 140 miles on it and I just recently had one replaced under warranty that was leaking so badly that I had a puddle of oil show up on my shop floor. So I get that shock replaced, no big deal. Drive it roughly 10 miles (on the farm not rough trail riding) and now the other front shock is seeping too. Seems strange to me? Anyone had an issue like that before?

I know I know, the next step are elka's, but that pill is to hard to swallow just yet! LOL!

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
I can't believe the problems I'm constantly reading about with the new Yamys, I'm glad I can't afford to upgrade, It's making my loaded 2007's priceless, Sorry for your pain Ransom...at least its covered. Good luck and hopefully that's your only problem.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
You have a 2016/2017 model? (Can't see signature on Mobil version if you have one)
This is not the first time the 2016-newer models had a leaking shock. It comes from using cheaper shocks on these models than on previous years. Get them replaced and ride out.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a 2016/2017 model? (Can't see signature on Mobil version if you have one)
This is not the first time the 2016-newer models had a leaking shock. It comes from using cheaper shocks on these models than on previous years. Get them replaced and ride out.
its a 2017. It hasn't been a big pain because I don't ride as much in the summer and luckily I have my 2014 as a back up. it has 5000 miles on it and none of those shocks leak! LOL! The dealer has been great to get them warrantied. Its just the hassle of it all.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I can't believe the problems I'm constantly reading about with the new Yamys, I'm glad I can't afford to upgrade, It's making my loaded 2007's priceless.
X2.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
its a 2017. It hasn't been a big pain because I don't ride as much in the summer and luckily I have my 2014 as a back up. it has 5000 miles on it and none of those shocks leak! LOL! The dealer has been great to get them warrantied. Its just the hassle of it all.
Leaking or failing shocks on 2015-older Grizzly's (Yamaha ATV's in general) is almost unheard of. They just didn't fail.
Shock failures or leaking on the 2016-newer models has been a small issue since they were released. It's not something that happens alot, but it's something that happens way more than it ever used too, and in my opinion, happens more than it should.

It all comes down to cost cutting. The oem shocks on a 2015-older model are about 3x more expensive than the 2016-newer models. You can't expect the same quality and reliability on a product that is 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hey Ransom,
That sucks about your shocks leaking! I do remember reading threads where others had issues with theirs leaking as well. I agree it's good that it's covered under warranty but you still are inconvenienced.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Premium Member
10,707 Posts
Maybe Yamaha U.S.A. will sign you up for Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig to save on warranty repair cost:)
or try sitting back on the seat more to balance the load.
In another 140 miles the oil will be gone and there will be no more oil on the shop floor, problem solved.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
My new Grizzly is in the process of having both front shocks covered under warranty. It has 140 miles on it and I just recently had one replaced under warranty that was leaking so badly that I had a puddle of oil show up on my shop floor. So I get that shock replaced, no big deal. Drive it roughly 10 miles (on the farm not rough trail riding) and now the other front shock is seeping too. Seems strange to me? Anyone had an issue like that before?

I know I know, the next step are elka's, but that pill is to hard to swallow just yet! LOL!
There's Elkas in my future. I'll sell you my stock 14 shocks and offset the cost! Then you can sell your stock shocks and offset your cost! Win Win!!! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have one leaking on my 2016. My 2009 also rode smoother than my 2016.

·
Premium Member
10,707 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe Yamaha U.S.A. will sign you up for Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig to save on warranty repair cost:)
or try sitting back on the seat more to balance the load.
In another 140 miles the oil will be gone and there will be no more oil on the shop floor, problem solved.

you hit me on my weight and no skunk jokes? LOL!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have one leaking on my 2016. My 2009 also rode smoother than my 2016.
I hate to disagree, but my 2017 rides great. But I just have stock tires, and shocks set to full soft. My 2014 has bighorns and they ride very comparable, maybe a little stiffer because of the 6 ply rating, but not enough to bother me.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,673 Posts
you hit me on my weight and no skunk jokes? LOL!
That whole situation really stinks. Quite shocking to say the least!

0:)

Reactions: okbear and RansomP

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah got me starting to think I made a bad decision to switch from can am to yamaha all this talk about shocks leaking,4x4 switches not working,the air box not sealing,the deceleration exhaust popping, I just hope the Yamaha warranty is better than brp. I sold my can am because of excessive heat problems, leaking seals and the extremely heavy weight of the quad not to mention the frequent maintenance it called for.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Mud708... I did the same thing. Traded my 2015 Canam 800r Outlander xt for this 2016 Grizzly 700.
I liked the Canam but hated the maintenance, the constant squeaking, the Heat was crazy, the Stupid trailer hitch design that's bolted right to the rear diff and will break. Canam will NOT warranty it either siting "abuse and excessive tongue weight".
I hard greasing all those zeros every ride. There's 6 on the swaybar alone. My sway bushings shot at 1500 miles and I don't mud my machine.
The Canam was fast but was so heavy feeling.

Love my yammy's, but I don't feel the 2016 is the same in quality as the 2009 I got rid of to get the Canam.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I hate to disagree, but my 2017 rides great. But I just have stock tires, and shocks set to full soft. My 2014 has bighorns and they ride very comparable, maybe a little stiffer because of the 6 ply rating, but not enough to bother me.
My 2009 did have Bighorn 2.0's vs my 8 ply HTR's on my 2016. But it did ride smoother, especially up front.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts