Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am shopping for my first ATV. Seriously considering a 2016 Yamaha Grizzly SE and a new 2015/2016 Can Am 570 or 650.

Top end speed is not important to me. I'm looking for:

quality and reliability;
great handling; and
technical ability.

As far as price, the deals on the Can Ams may be a bit better, but they are pretty close. The Cam Am XTs do come with a winch and bumpers vs. the Grizzlys.

Been reading a lot online about the Can Am vs. Yamaha opinions. Curious what Grizzly owners here think about these choices. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Yamaha has been making quads for well over 20 years , Can Am has been making quads for less than 15..

Yamaha will outperform those two Model Can Ams , Hands down in every category ( except maybe power vrs that 650)

Resale , Yamaha beats Can Am BY FAR...

Quality , and reliability ,,, Yamaha wins again.

No brainer for me ,,, unless you want ultimate power ,, Yamaha is BY FAR the better choice ATV.

Just look at how the rear CV boots on a Can Am hang out in the breeze ,, dont back up I guess.. Build quality on Grizz is much better.. Dual rear brakes vrs single , and just look at how the frames are made on both manufacturers... You will start to notice some BIG differences , as the Grizz is bent tubular steel , and the Can Am is crappy square stock , no bends , welded into a cheaper shape and design. as to why they are now on GEN2 , because GEN1 REALLY sucked ass...

Yamaha Clutches are superior to Can Am.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Both are good machines. I've ridden my 05 660 for 11 years (6500 mi.)with very few problems. I'm ready for a new atv and I'm going with the Outlander 1000DPS. Mainly for the power, but the ride is great also. I'd get another Grizzly if they would just make a 1k in a twin (or triple) cylinder.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Both are good machines. I've ridden my 05 660 for 11 years (6500 mi.)with very few problems. I'm ready for a new atv and I'm going with the Outlander 1000DPS. Mainly for the power, but the ride is great also. I'd get another Grizzly if they would just make a 1k in a twin (or triple) cylinder.
You will love the new outlander 1000. They improved on everything over the first generation 800. In my opinion it's every bit as reliable as the grizzly.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
It's a Grizzly forum. Grizzly of course.

When two products seem similar but one cost more I would say there must be some value added in the engineering and the materials used to build it.
Yamaha doesn't need to throw in a winch or bumper.

note: 570 is a Polaris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a Grizzly forum. Grizzly of course.

When two products seem similar but one cost more I would say there must be some value added in the engineering and the materials used to build it.
Yamaha doesn't need to throw in a winch or bumper.
note: 570 is a Polaris
In regards to your "note," Can Am introduced a v-twin 570 for 2016. Makes 48 hp, about the same as a 700 Grizzly.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Didn't know that. Thanks.

Reactions: NHRoadking

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Plan on new brakes pads with the Can Am within the first 500 miles. Also, ask the dealer what the first service cost. You need a dealer to clear the engine light. I've heard of dealers charging anywhere from $250-$400 for the first service.

Common complaints with the Outlanders seem to be brake pads, engine heat, blown rear diffs, A arm bushings, and cheap shocks that sag quickly.

They do have a ton of power and stability. They are also very good with fuel consumption.

4,800 miles on my Grizzly. 3 sets of brake pads, 1 set of rear knuckle bushings, and 1 set of wheel bearings are the only items that cost me money on my machine.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
This is a grizzly forum, of course everyone is gonna say grizzly! lol. Both are excellent machines. Its alot of preference, on what you want. I own both a Grizzly 700 and a Renegade 1000xxc. Both are great machines. The Renegade gets ridden more because of the obvious, its got double the HP of the grizzly and im a power addict. The Grizzly is a solid machine though that will never leave you stranded in the woods. Mentioned though, resale. Thats not so true in my area.... I had to basically give my grizzly away if i were to sell it and then the offers were slim. I tried to trade in my grizzly to the dealership on my Renegade, but only offered me $2500 because they dont hold their resale as well as other brands. Alot of people want bigger machines now. At $2500 id rather just keep my grizzly lol, its paid for and only takes up a little room.

I say go to dealerships, sit on, and play with the features and test ride if you can. Both machines are different. My honest opinion, for the price point the grizzly isnt worth it to me anymore, unless they offer something with more features and power. $11,000 for a SE grizz or add $1500 and get a Renegade 1000 with all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Plan on new brakes pads with the Can Am within the first 500 miles. Also, ask the dealer what the first service cost. You need a dealer to clear the engine light. I've heard of dealers charging anywhere from $250-$400 for the first service.

Common complaints with the Outlanders seem to be brake pads, engine heat, blown rear diffs, A arm bushings, and cheap shocks that sag quickly.

They do have a ton of power and stability. They are also very good with fuel consumption.

4,800 miles on my Grizzly. 3 sets of brake pads, 1 set of rear knuckle bushings, and 1 set of wheel bearings are the only items that cost me money on my machine.
It is true on the brake pads and suspension bushings. Set of race driven pads and garage products bushings and youre set. Other than that, those are the only "factory" issues you need to worry about. The majority of the rear diff issues seem to come from people running big tires and running them hard.

First service is no big deal. If youre mechanically inept youll end up paying for it but if you can change oils and filer, youre good. You wont be able to reset the "maintenance soon" message that scrolls when you first start the machine, but thats no big deal and doesnt harm anything, no lights or anything.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Im a power junky as well, I have the 1000XXC and have yet to have it wide open. No open areas big enough to get going that fast. But it will get up to speed VERY quick!!!! The single brakes are a G1 thing. G2 have same brake setup as a grizz. With the engine brake as strong as it is on a Can Am you hardly use the brakes. Since you want more of a utility than a sport machine, it's a toss up. Any V-twin is hard to pass up, and will be smoother as well. Also if you do decide to go bigger, they can be made into 800+ motors...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Grizzlies are still more reliable than can am. I'm basing this by looking on other forums, and this one. Seems like they have a lot of new machines with owners asking how to fix their yr old machine, or showing pictures of a catastrophic failure. Doesn't happen here very often, if ever.

Grizzlies handle great, especially 14+

Technical ability - butter smooth cvt, diff lock, front and rear brakes, light & nimble chassis. Nuff said.

Can am has advantages, dont get me wrong, but for what your needs are......14+ grizzly gets my vote.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Your riding conditions may play a big part in your choice.
Monster straight line power and the weight may not be what you want in the tough stuff.
I found the machine with the features that fit my area best, then found one at the best price for that machine.
Yamaha's C.V.T. has a lot of flexibility to add low end torque if desired.
Plus there is G.C. when needed.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Im a power junky as well, I have the 1000XXC and have yet to have it wide open. No open areas big enough to get going that fast. But it will get up to speed VERY quick!!!! The single brakes are a G1 thing. G2 have same brake setup as a grizz. With the engine brake as strong as it is on a Can Am you hardly use the brakes. Since you want more of a utility than a sport machine, it's a toss up. Any V-twin is hard to pass up, and will be smoother as well. Also if you do decide to go bigger, they can be made into 800+ motors...
I thought renegades have 2 levers and outlander has 1, even gen 2? It's been a few months since I was at the can am dealership so my memory could be off but I swore they were still one brake lever

·
Registered
566 Posts
I haven't road an outty in years so not sure. But both my gades (both where pretty much same thing just diff years) have the brake setup the same as a grizz. Left lever is rear, right is front, and right foot is rear brake....

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
No contest, anything vs Grizzly... the answer is GRIZZLY!

But then again, this IS a Grizzly site. :rofl:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 08 grizz and a 2012'renegade 1000 , now the first thing is the 4wd on the grizz is way better than the can am especially with the.diff loc option. My grizzly has stage 3 elkas which ride amazingly compared to the fox ones on the can am and the seat is way more comfortable for.those long trail rides. But I will say the 1000 vtwin,is the balls hands down rippen through the.deep mudd slinging roost everywhere and the sound of the engine is pretty cool to.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts