Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buddy sent me a snap shot, the city of Silverton CO banned ATVs on all city streets by a 4 to 3 vote. Effective immediately.

any confirmations? And wondering on the mindset.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Not officially banned yet. It’s complicated, from my understanding theirs 2 petitions being put forth before town trustees. First is to ban ohv’s in the town. Second is to open the entire town to ohv’s . Town appears to be pretty divided. If you have time watch this video it will explain what’s going on. It’s the last trustee meeting. After watching this video my sense is the town will eventually vote ohv’s out.

·
Premium Member
2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
142 Posts
Best way to stay in is to behave and spend lots of money. Such a simple thing, but somebody always screws it up..

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
According to this site-OHV & ATV Info | Town of Silverton (colorado.gov) riding ATV's/UTV's is longer permitted effective 20 June 2021. Looks like it's back to the old old way of having to stop where the road turns from dirt to pavement. Bet that effects their economy some. I for one don't plan on staying there if I'm not wanted.
There has been some rumbling going on over at Lake City as well, wonder if they are going to change as well.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
According to this site-OHV & ATV Info | Town of Silverton (colorado.gov) riding ATV's/UTV's is longer permitted effective 20 June 2021. Looks like it's back to the old old way of having to stop where the road turns from dirt to pavement. Bet that effects their economy some. I for one don't plan on staying there if I'm not wanted.
There has been some rumbling going on over at Lake City as well, wonder if they are going to change as well.
Lake City is still open for now. On the Silverton thing. Its confusing. On one hand it appears that effective 06/20 OHV's aren't legal in town. But then when I watched the trustee meeting they mention a separate petition to be voted on opening the entire town to OHV's. But then after watching the entire meeting and listening to the discussion my sense is whatever the date its probably going to be closed.

Riding on highway 149 to complete the loop is legal through 2023. See here.
Off Highway Vehicles | Hinsdale County

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I've spent a considerable amount of time on the Colorado trails over the years. The one constant undercurrent is that the Colorado folks don't want us out-of-state riders there.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Yep, I agree that's it's confusing just posted what I read. I would make a phone call if anyone is interested in the current status. Yes it's legal to ride on 149 but what if the town of Lake City changes it's mind (ordinances). That winds up with your good to stay on 149 but you ain't on 149 to get back to the loop, you have to drive the side streets in the town of Lake City. In the past the Police (prior to opening of 149) the Sherriff's office was pretty lenient about people driving ATV's on the far west side of 149 to get to the loop. Like I said I've heard rumblings from that area from all of those people that live there Part Time. May change is all I was trying to convey.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yep, I agree that's it's confusing just posted what I read. I would make a phone call if anyone is interested in the current status. Yes it's legal to ride on 149 but what if the town of Lake City changes it's mind (ordinances). That winds up with your good to stay on 149 but you ain't on 149 to get back to the loop, you have to drive the side streets in the town of Lake City. In the past the Police (prior to opening of 149) the Sherriff's office was pretty lenient about people driving ATV's on the far west side of 149 to get to the loop. Like I said I've heard rumblings from that area from all of those people that live there Part Time. May change is all I was trying to convey.
I have a feeling that if Silverton does officially close its streets down 06/20 it will create an undue burden on Lake City. People will change plans and create extra stress on the town with a huge influx of ohver's. After a year or 2 it will take its toll and Lake City will probably go the same way.

I can see both sides of the issue. Can't say I blame the residents for being upset, but then again when you live in a tourist trap its part of the territory. We've stayed in Silverton in July and the town is like a beehive. Even if you close the streets down to ohv's you're still going to have to deal with trucks, trailers and all the congestion from Jeeps, RVs and everything else. Part of me hates if they close it down, but then again if it stays closed maybe some of the knuckle heads that caused the problem will quit coming. We'll still visit but wait until September. Its way better that time of year anyway. Far less congestion and way better weather.

Reactions: wgc

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Kokopelli- I agree with part of your statement. That being that the business's love your money and the more the merrier. The part I agree with is the OHV community (Colorado) isn't very keen on out of state riders is just like any thing else. It only takes a few people to do something wrong and it effects everyone. Example I didn't know that the trail was closed? We're just here to have a good time. I seen other people riding it and the list goes on. Problem is that there are tons and tons of anti OHVers in this state along with a god knows how many tree huggers that want nothing more to do then shutdown all the trails. They all have camera's and take video of everything we do wrong and this is all brought up when they want something shut down. Hence we lose lots of trails being shut down.
The up surge of UTV's hasn't helped either and neither has all the Dirt Bike riders that come from out of state and tend to go where they feel like instead of "Staying the trail". Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: reogem and RansomP

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I understand where you're coming from and we all have different experiences. I've been on off-road forums since the 90's and have met hundreds of riders. I've been told point blank that some will not even speak to me if they see me there. These are forum members that I chat with all the time. They say there's too many riders on the trails and they ther traild should only be for in-state riders. Being a southener I was kinds shocked by it all. At the Jeep jambories of the 90's and early 2000's the in-state crowd would have nothing to do with us southerners. The Tennessee contingent stuck with the Texas contingent, whom the CO people dearly hate. They blame everything on the Texas folks. LOL Anyhow, I don't travel to ride anymore so it don't matter to me (as the song says)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Well I can understand your feelings. We've got our share of Yahoos too. Not talking to you because your from the South comes from those idiots who are near and not so dear to my heart. I've been riding in this State since the Mid 60's and there are those that do believe that it should be for in state riders only. All I have to say is that is pure B/S. Can't speak for the 4wd community but they too have their fair share of idiots as well. I concur their are tons of opinions about Texans here in our State and some of them our down right funny. IMHO it's not or ever been the Texans it's the California implants that want to turn this state into another La-La land. Seeing as this state makes a fortune off of tourists it's hard to believe at times. Generally speaking the Texans come visit and then head home not so with the people from the left State, they stay, lol.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
exactly.. We have that problem here in the Smokeys

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
365 Posts
A lot of maine atv clubs won't clearly post that a trail is an atv trail to keep its traffic down. I can't exactly blame them.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
We have what we call half-backs here. The Yankees that are moving out of Flordia and buying real estate here. Halfway back home!

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
:)
Several factors and factions seem to be working around here......
The left coasters are trying to limit traffic in the high country, so close off town and their problem moves elsewhere.
Also, the millionaires are being pushed out by the billionaires. The billionaires don't care about local business people so go stir up a few greenies to change the rules of the town......look at telluride now. They also bring their own chefs and staff to provide the services they need, they don't need the old time business people that have made a living servicing the tourist for years.
Then, there have been a lot a.t.v tourist in town that don't seem to mind how their behavior is seen by others. I have seen riders stop in the middle of a block to look at their map, not considering those waiting behind them. Like said before, just a few can screw up the works for the whole. Another situation that merchants complain of is one a.t.v. per parking space, not two or three or four using one space.
I know in Silverton the people that run the Handlebar eatery complain a lot about one rider per space when the same space could park a suburban with several customers.
Many I have talked to in both Silverton and Ouray in the last couple weeks are predicting a balls out season, the touring trucks have been running a couple weeks now with earlier than usual guests, so maybe moves are being made now to focus on numbers, not total visitor satisfaction.
I don't care one way or the other, but I live here and don't need many town services like others. I hope these groups meet in the middle for the good of all that want to enjoy this area. I remember the good old days, and what I've seen in the last couple weeks ain't them.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
:)
Several factors and factions seem to be working around here......
The left coasters are trying to limit traffic in the high country, so close off town and their problem moves elsewhere.
Also, the millionaires are being pushed out by the billionaires. The billionaires don't care about local business people so go stir up a few greenies to changes the rules of the town......look at telluride now. They also bring their own chefs and staff to provide the services they need, they don't need the old time business people that have made a living servicing the tourist for years.
Then, there have been a lot a.t.v tourist in town that don't seem to mind how their behavior is seen by others. I have seen riders stop in the middle of a block to look at their map, not considering those waiting behind them. Like said before, just a few can screw up the works for the whole. Another situation that merchants complain of one a.t.v. per parking space, not two or three or four using one space.
I know in Silverton the people that run the Handlebar eatery complain a lot about one rider per space when the same space could park a suburban with several customers.
Many I have talked to in both Silverton and Ouray in the last couple weeks are predicting a balls out season, the touring trucks have been running a couple weeks now with earlier than usual guests, so maybe moves are being made now to focus on numbers, not total visitor satisfaction.
I don't care one way or the other, but I live here and don't need many town services like others. I hope these groups meet in the middle for the good of all that want to enjoy this area. I remember the good old days, and what I've seen in the last couple weeks ain't them.

Yep... That's pretty much as I see it too. I'm afraid that time has passed us by and a new standard is taking hold. Things will never go back to our "free love" days so to speak. I'm too old to worry about it now, it's up to the younger generations to use it or lose it!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Just wanted to pass this along. In the past (here in Colorado) anyone out of state that had a license plated OHV could ride on the street. So I'm off to the side of the road/street getting a ticket (I'm a Co resident) and someone from Utah/Montana etc. ride by on theirs (with a plate) and are smiling because it was legal .Not anymore the State passed bill HB21-1138 which now makes it illegal for everyone. In short they leveled the playing field for Colorado residents. This does not effect those streets that were opened for OHV use i.e. Lake City, Co (Co 149) that is still good to go for us to ride on. (until they change it).I got that info from COHVCO posted on Facebook May 21 at 10:29 am.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
As for the younger generation, they use these going through the town park, down the streets, sidewalks and state highway going through Ridgway. And I haven't seen a license plate of o.h.v. sticker on one yet.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
397 Posts
As for the younger generation, they use these going through the town park, down the streets, sidewalks and state highway going through Ridgway. And I haven't seen a license plate of o.h.v. sticker on one yet.
Well heck, now I know what I was seeing on a road from a camp last year; I could see two kids that looked like they were floating down the road and I was not drinking at the time. I guess they make an off road model.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts