Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this video and thought some of you guys that like to ride in the high country as much I do would enjoy it. The only way it would be any better is if @Ridgway81432 were narrating with @wgc
joining him for a little comedic relief. Enjoy gentleman!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-EpWOpEJ9w

·
Registered
724 Posts
Awesome 8:26 of video....when do we leave....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, most of that area is snowed in, but I’m always up for a good adventure!

Reactions: rwreuter

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Not sure on the western slope, but snow has not been stellar this side of the divide. Summit County has been getting snow, but it's not been one of the better years by a long shot.

BTW, that is some cool footage and makes me want to get a drone. So I can waste more time and money, neither of which i have right now.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
That was absolutely beautiful country there , I think I just added a trip to my bucket list!

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Seriously, who'd want to ride in a place like that? ME! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
Ya, the area around Silverton and the northern Jan Juan's sucks for riding:)
This is what to expect on the date of this upload, in June I think.

We have plenty of snow and it is laying down more snow now.
Get here the first of June and follow the dozer in the slush if you want adventure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"I ain't never seen 'em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb! Keep good care of your hair! These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here! And there ain't no priests excepting the birds. By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent..." -- Del Gue from "Jeremiah Johnson"

Beautiful! Never tire of Colorado scenery. Thanks for sharing this.

Steve

·
Registered
937 Posts
WOW! That was an amazing job of editing too. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great video, Jim, I'm glad at least some of us have the chance to enjoy the mountain and ride like there is no tomorrow.
I'm puzzled looking at how your bike is riding at high speed ( over 25, or 30 miles an hour) on those trails.
My 660 cannot do that. I fixed my 660 to run like a champ, the engine, everything is top notch with the exception of handling.
There must be something wrong with my bike and I asked here many times but I cannot find a solution and solve my problem.
As soon as one the wheels is getting on a rock or something on the road the bike will change direction and there is no way I can stop it.
3 times I fell off with the bike almost rolled over.
Cannot understand what is going on but I will not jeopardize this thread for it.
I'm just amazed to see other 660's working properly and being handled properly.
Not sure what's wrong with mine.

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
Great video, Jim, I'm glad at least some of us have the chance to enjoy the mountain and ride like there is no tomorrow.
I'm puzzled looking at how your bike is riding at high speed ( over 25, or 30 miles an hour) on those trails.
My 660 cannot do that. I fixed my 660 to run like a champ, the engine, everything is top notch with the exception of handling.
There must be something wrong with my bike and I asked here many times but I cannot find a solution and solve my problem.
As soon as one the wheels is getting on a rock or something on the road the bike will change direction and there is no way I can stop it.
Cannot understand what is going on but I will not jeopardize this thread for it.
This isn't much of a high-jacking because 3 of the 4 videos are from the mountains.
For the handling;
I keep good bearings in the front end, if there is any wobble I inspect them and replace when needed.
Also, my 660 and others I have inspected, come with the front tires toed out some. I've turned the tie rods a partial turn to get the tires pointed straight. Not much, and I don't remember now how much off the top of my head, like a 1/4 of a turn or so. You'll know when its right as there is less dust kicked up from the tires scrubbing on a dirt road.
Also, and others disagree with this, but I run 11 p.s.i. around so she tracks straight at higher speed. I also run the shocks turned up so the ride is stiffer, but the speed smooths her back out.
These are from the San Juan Mountains and the desert 100 miles away to see speed,
Start around 4 mins for this one;

And if you like water....this video is from the helmet and the winch positions;

·
Registered
724 Posts
Do you've power steering?

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
He's on a 660.

·
Registered
145 Posts
@rwreuter
I have 2 grizzlies, as you see in my signature.
With the 700 I can go everywhere and I never have any issues; I cannot say that about the 660. There is something wrong with handling that bike.
The videos Jim posted are amazing, showing not only great country and places to ride and die for but also great riding skills.
For me he is a model, and watching his videos, besides the great mountains and scenery, I always learn something useful.
I watched his hands and handlebars going over rough terrain at low and high speed and it seems normal, no jerking and I don't see him working hard to keep his bike on the road.
My 660 it's a different animal. It is almost impossible to keep it on the road.
After my last trip when I almost flipped it just going on an almost flat trail, I got back home and I rechecked again all the things on the front wheels:
1. Bearings are perfect, no play, no wobble.
2. No play in the ball joints
3. Lift the bike and spin the wheels to check if any issues, both wheels spin straight as a hair.
4. I'm riding with 5.5-6.0 PSI in my front tires, 26" bear-claws originals.

The only problem I found; the toe in angle was quite bad. Instead of 1/4" towards inside as Jim mentioned I had 1 1/2" towards outside.
After I fixed the angle i did not have a chance to ride the bike again, so i don't know if the handling will be better.
@Jim,
Thanks Jim for sharing all these videos with us. It's great to see the beautiful mountains, you have the opportunity to ride on and enjoy the exhilirating rush, to see somebody pushing the limits of himself and the bike in such a way like you do.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
I have had a bad wheel bearing and pulling on the tire with grizz raised in the air could not feel anything wrong, yet when I removed the axle nut and the steering knuckle the bearing fell apart on the floor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts