Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm hoping for some advice here.

Looking at the cheaply made and now broken and dangling factory A-arm skid plate on my brandy new XTR after only 5 hours of riding i'm thinking I probably should replace it with a complete set of real skit plates. My riding friends tell me that (much thicker) plastic is actually better than aluminum for several reasons so I have been shopping around.
All that seems to be available right now for plastic types is a set from a company called Iron Baltic out of the country of Estonia. I've seen some pictures but not much in the way of reviews or talk on the forums.

So what I'm asking is:

Should I go with these guys or hold out for something better?
Are my friends full of crap regarding plastic vs aluminum plates?
Do you guys have any recommendations for what I should get?

I'd be obliged for any thoughts you all may have.

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
107 Posts
Iron Baltic are superb , heavy duty hdpe, almost bombproof , extremely well made and a superb fit.
I’ve had them on can ams, and now my 2019 Grizz,
A great company to deal with and extremely swift delivery ( at least from Estonia to the uk, literally 2 days!)
I’ve always dealt with a guy called Nils, very efficient and helpful. [email protected]
Drop him an e mail about availability/ shipping etc.
👍

Reactions: Rehoboth Dave

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I will be upgrading my skid plates as well. My factory ones are just not up to my riding requirments. I'll be following this thread for sure

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So they are right about the superiority of plastic over aluminum?

·
Registered
306 Posts
So they are right about the superiority of plastic over aluminum?
I don't know about that but aluminum is tougher than plastic, aluminum is more rigid and helps reinforce the frame, a-arms, etc. sharp rocks will cut plastic to shreds. I went with aluminum "Ricochet Ultimate Armor Kit-Alum Full Skids" and would do it again over plastic.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I really don't think i would say they are superior to aluminum skids, but they are definitely strong. I've seen a few bikes out on the trails with the IB skids, one set is an old coworker of mine, his bike is beat to deth but the IB skids are in very good shape... And this guy can destroy dirt if you leave him alone with it for 5 min... Takes a tough product to survive him. Lol

I've heard several guys say they like the hdpe skids better than aluminum for rock crawling as they tend to slide bettter over rocks with less friction.

The aluminum skids definitely do stiffen the structure of the bike more.

I'm leaning hard towards a set of perfex alumin skids myself, mainly because of thier awesome build quality and also being Canadian made. I have thier 2" lift, and it's built much better than hilifter for less money. Thier skids look to follow suit vs other aluminum skids.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, both are superior to oem, it just comes down to preferance, price, age availability.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,049 Posts
Been using Ricochet al skids with UHMW plastic overlays for some time now. I’ve had to remove the front part of the al skids and pound them back into shape. That is the downside of al skids that can’t be avoided, unless you just end up not being as hard on your machine.

If I were buying today, I would be purchasing the Iron Baltic HDPE plastic skids. Since I already have Ricochet skids, I would only use the IB main frame skid and keep the Ricochet a-arm skids on as I feel the Ricochet a-arms have far superior coverage. I’ve seen the IB HDPE plastic skids in person and feel they are very well made but the a-arms fall short in coverage.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I purchased the Yamaha aluminum skid plates for my 2021. The thing I like about them is that they use the same exact mounting holes as the original plastic ones. Seeing as I take them off frequently I went with them for that reason alone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just finished installing the IB Skids on the Kodiak. Fairly straight forward. There are a couple screws that get removed from the OEM that I’m not crazy about. I might have to find a way to put them back in. Here are a few pics. Obviously no info on how they hold up yet.
i agree they don’t have amazing coverage on the A-arms. Certainly more geared for rock damage than brush damage. Not sure if some stick-stoppers are compatible with these or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with Perfex Industries out of Canada. Free shipping to the US, best price around, and what I liked the most was that all of the bolt holes are counter sunk. No protruding screw heads, or even the radiused aluminum washers that others use. That means less snag points. Coincidentally, they are also the cheapest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great customer service. He emailed me letting me know there was a short shipping delay.

So far the install has been a breeze. Fit and finish on the product is great.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have hid 2"lift, fit was spot on, super clear instructions. And when compared to hilifter and the others, his was thicker material, fully braced, and it was powdercoated.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been running Iron Baltic skid plates on my 2014 Grizzly for at least 4 years, and I personally would never even consider buying aluminum skid plates now. I have a few buddies that bought aluminum skid plates and they laughed at me when I said that I was buying plastic skid plates. After a few years of riding, my skid plates are still in excellent condition and have had some very hard hits. On the other hand some of the guys that laughed at me now regret buying aluminum plates as the aluminum plates are rock magnets. Aluminum plates do protect the underneath of your quad very well, but not any better than these plastic ones. Aluminum also tears quite easily on sharp rocks, and when you take them off to change oil or clean them they often are deformed and require a lot of hammering to straighten them out enough to go back on. I don't have that issue with the IB skid plates. Also the IB skid plates are easily twice as thick as the aluminum plates and they easily slide over rocks. I also find my A-arm guards are awesome as well.
This is just my personal opinion, but I have compared my skid plates to the aluminum plates that my buddies have, and even they agree that mine are in much better shape, and most of them said they would definitely buy IB or similar skid plates for their next machine.
Good luck in whatever you decide to go with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been running Iron Baltic skid plates on my 2014 Grizzly for at least 4 years, and I personally would never even consider buying aluminum skid plates now. I have a few buddies that bought aluminum skid plates and they laughed at me when I said that I was buying plastic skid plates. After a few years of riding, my skid plates are still in excellent condition and have had some very hard hits. On the other hand some of the guys that laughed at me now regret buying aluminum plates as the aluminum plates are rock magnets. Aluminum plates do protect the underneath of your quad very well, but not any better than these plastic ones. Aluminum also tears quite easily on sharp rocks, and when you take them off to change oil or clean them they often are deformed and require a lot of hammering to straighten them out enough to go back on. I don't have that issue with the IB skid plates. Also the IB skid plates are easily twice as thick as the aluminum plates and they easily slide over rocks. I also find my A-arm guards are awesome as well.
This is just my personal opinion, but I have compared my skid plates to the aluminum plates that my buddies have, and even they agree that mine are in much better shape, and most of them said they would definitely buy IB or similar skid plates for their next machine.
Good luck in whatever you decide to go with.
Part of me wishes I would of went with the plastic. I do think Im going to machine replaceable plastic plates to fit to my aluminum skids, just to have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ordered a set of Iron Baltic plastic skids. Thanks all for your insight and experiences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know about that but aluminum is tougher than plastic, aluminum is more rigid and helps reinforce the frame, a-arms, etc. sharp rocks will cut plastic to shreds. I went with aluminum "Ricochet Ultimate Armor Kit-Alum Full Skids" and would do it again over plastic.
I never considered that Aluminum skids help stiffen the chassis. Makes sense though. I know GNCC grizz racers would brace the frame and a arms in various ways.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts