Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,694 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have ricochet on my 4 kodiaks , American made aluminum and have never had a problem with them .

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I have the factory aluminum skids, they did not come with the floor boards pieces where your feet go so I had to order them from the aftermarket, I would have gone with Ricochet in a heartbeat if I new then what I know now and saved some money, make sure you get the full set, rocks like to pop up and hit the underneath of the floorboards alot on the Griz I find.

Reactions: dido6i and colvin

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly SE, 2018 Kodiak 700 SE
89 Posts
I’m running the Yamaha glide plate. So far I like it fit was perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I love the Ricochet skids and as mentioned above the foot board skids is a must if you ride rocky terrain.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I’m running the Yamaha glide plate. So far I like it fit was perfect.
I have the Yamaha glide plate on both of my Grizzlies too. I really like it as it's so quiet and slides well over the rocks.

Reactions: dlightcap

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ricochet is what I installed, went with the full under armor kit, which includes the foot boards. They have held up well. While installing there was some issues with proper fit on the main plate, the a-arm guards, and the front bash plate was supposed to be black anodized which it was not.

The main plate needed an additional 5 mounting holes/slots to fit correctly (shown in red) and a custom L bracket to bolt up to the right front inner fender plastic (shown in yellow).

The slots for the frame attachment/clamps had to be relocated due to interference from the cross members/gussets. This made the bolt heads when tightened cocked and not flat on the plate. They would snag grass/weeds etc. and were more vulnerable to damage from sliding over rocks. All 4 corners needed to be relocated (shown in red).

Mods shown in red.

Also had to shim with 2-3 washers between the a-arm and the a-arm guards in two locations each for a solid fit and flat bolt heads (not crooked).
This was back in 2012 so hopefully they have improved. Oil changes can be pretty messy so be prepared to use engine cleaner (Gunk) when changing oil.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,893 Posts
Ricochet must have adjusted things a bit since you bought yours. For my 2007, I bought Ricochet a-arm skids in 2014, no modifications required. Then somewhere around 2017 I replaced my destroyed Yamaha glide plate with Ricochet skids (main frame) with additional UHMW overly pieces. Again, no modifications required to get any of the Ricochet stuff to fit. Sold my 2007 Grizzly, bought a 2014 Grizzly a year ago but had to update to the longer Ricochet a-arm skids. Fit without modification.

I have been pretty happy with the Ricochet stuff but I would also consider going with a full Iron Baltic plastic set. I've seen those in person and the thickness of the plastic they use is greater than the Yamaha Glide plate and the Ricochet UHMW overlays. For Ricochet, the overlays don't need to be extremely thick because the aluminum adds to the strength/thickness. As with aluminum skids, I have had to take the front Ricochet aluminum with overlay skid off and pound the aluminum back into shape. But it is still going strong and no reason to replace them.

·
Premium Member
11,694 Posts
Years ago we had a mod here that ran Ricochet in AZ and when he needed to replace his aluminum he posted pictures of the first set. He had then to where they didn't look like skid plates much, but beer cans ran over for a few years. His pictures are not up anymore, to bad for us.
Also in years past, Ricochet offered a discount to G.C. members. For a time the original owner/starter of the G.C. site worked for them, but that might not be happening these days. If a few ask they may start it again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting reply’s , my 4 kodiaks are 01-400, 04-450, and 16-17 700s . The smaller quads got the belly pan and a arm guard’s and the 700’s got full coverage with zero mods for any of them for mounting.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In my experience I could've mounted them with out any mods. Probably most wouldn't have noticed or cared about the things I found but then I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
I'd buy them again. The other brand I considered was Aluminum Products.

He had then to where they didn't look like skid plates much, but beer cans ran over for a few years.
I think I remember that he actually had to grind off what was left of the bolt heads to remove the skids. I wondered what his frame looked like.
I used never-seize on my bolts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently mounted Ricochet full set to my 2021 Grizzly and they fit great. If you call them up they may offer a discount to forum members (y)

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,893 Posts
Probably most wouldn't have noticed or cared about the things I found but then I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
Perfectionist such as making sure the a-arm skid gaps are equal side to side, all the brackets are square, flat on the frame and not on gussets, skids are perfectly flat against the frame, etc.? Yeah, right there with you and being type-A can be a curse, most likely why I'm an engineer :sneaky: So yes to I also made sure the skids fit "like a glove" but still did not have to modify anything to get them to fit that way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Perfectionist such as making sure the a-arm skid gaps are equal side to side, all the brackets are square, flat on the frame and not on gussets, skids are perfectly flat against the frame, etc.? Yeah, right there with you and being type-A can be a curse, most likely why I'm an engineer :sneaky: So yes to I also made sure the skids fit "like a glove" but still did not have to modify anything to get them to fit that way.
Totally understand...I got that way from being an aircraft mechanic for 30 years.

It tends to make you gain a very keen eye for details like chafing, edge distance, flush fit, etc...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks for all the info it has really helped me!

I was just wondering if any of you herd about this skid plate
PERFEX Aluminum Skid Plate - Yamaha Grizzly & Kodiak 700 (2016+)

There called PERFEX aluminum skid plates

Also what is the discount off of ricochet for being a forum member?
I just bought a 2" lift from prefex. Ave have been in contact with Fred, the owner. I'll be doing a small review on the lift, Ave he's looking forward to it. So far, his products seem very well built, and packaged. His lift is all powdercoated stainless. A bit thicker than hilifter kit.
I can only imagine his skid plates are built better too.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just bought a 2" lift from prefex. Ave have been in contact with Fred, the owner. I'll be doing a small review on the lift, Ave he's looking forward to it. So far, his products seem very well built, and packaged. His lift is all powdercoated stainless. A bit thicker than hilifter kit.
I can only imagine his skid plates are built better too.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts