Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone plow snow with a skidsteer? I have for years used a dirt bucket. Tried a high buck snowblower didn't work so I sold it.
I am considering buying a dedicated snow plow or snow pusher for my skidsteer.
I don't plow commercial but I do have 3 large parking areas I plow.
So I'm trying to decide Pusher box or conventional style plow.
Higher end name brand ones can be bought for similar prices.
There are pushers for about have of the name brand.

TIA... all opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Our snow crew at work use a tracked jcb & a tracked cat, they have a plow on one and a pusher on the other for doing parking lots at one of the mines here. I personally have only used a pusher and a bucket when I fillef in a few shifts with them to help with snow removal. Personally I like the pusher, but it's prob because I'm so used to plowing with a 980 & 986 car just with my bucket.
We have a couple cat 930 that have 6way blades for. They are slick. If you can get a plow like that for a skid steer, that's the answer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
Moving snow with a bucket is slow work. The bucket fills with packed snow (iced) which is hard to shake loss and is hard on the machine, and then snow rolls off both sides on long runs.
If you can get a two way directional blade for a skid steer that would be like plowing with a truck, moving snow sideways and forward clearing a path on one pass.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our snow crew at work use a tracked jcb & a tracked cat, they have a plow on one and a pusher on the other for doing parking lots at one of the mines here. I personally have only used a pusher and a bucket when I fillef in a few shifts with them to help with snow removal. Personally I like the pusher, but it's prob because I'm so used to plowing with a 980 & 986 car just with my bucket.
We have a couple cat 930 that have 6way blades for. They are slick. If you can get a plow like that for a skid steer, that's the answer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks..I usually have large quantities of snow that need to be moved and piled especially when the snow slide off all the steel buildings. A 930 with just bucket would be great but buying one now isn't in the cards plus no place to store it. Today I'm leaning toward the pusher but I have been flip flopping.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moving snow with a bucket is slow work. The bucket fills with packed snow (iced) which is hard to shake loss and is hard on the machine, and then snow rolls off both sides on long runs.
If you can get a two way directional blade for a skid steer that would be like plowing with a truck, moving snow sideways and forward clearing a path on one pass.
Thanks...
A skidsteer plow is still in the running.
Plows limitations.
Straight ahead.. no better than a bucket with snow overflowing the sides. Fitted with a end gate or shield may help with the spillage.

Angle plowing..In my situation wind rowing isn't really an option. I need to move all the snow to the other end of the property. 4 areas about 100x200' each. Theses areas are between 40x120' steel roof building so I need to move that snow when is slides off.

Can't stack snow with a plow. I can stack it 8-10 feet high with the bucket. It appears that the pusher can stack snow reasonably well maybe 5-7 feet.

A Boss hydraulic plow is twice the cost of a generic brand pusher. A Boss pusher is only 200 bucks less than the plow.
Boss plows and pushers have steel trip blades. Most all other pushers have a rubber blade.
The Boss equipment... I would buy from a local business acquaintance. The generic pusher comes out of Indiana.

Snows coming got to decides soon!

Thanks again!

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Brad...How you been? Liken the new job? Moved?

Thanks... I did see that same info.
SnowWolf has another one comparing the Pusher to the Plow on a skidsteer. That one favored the pusher.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,299 Posts
Hey Brad...How you been? Liken the new job? Moved?
All moved and still enjoying my job. Had to be out in Orlando last week for M$ Ignite, was nice to be somewhere warm for the week.

The move was a pretty rough one, I'll tell you more at some point in PM. Been in the new house for a bit now but not fully "moved in" as were in no rush but this house needs work which we're slowly getting to some of it. That and Oct saw us 4 real snow storms and somewhere around 2 1/2 feet of snow from all those storms and a low one morning of -8f. Fortunately, most of the snow is gone, was close to 70f last weekend. Just haven't been spending a lot of time on here with life responsibilities getting in the way. I did not get out on the Grizz once last season, those life responsibilities again.

Hope all is well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts