Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 yamaha grizzly 600 4x4 automatic
smokes real bad when first starts till it warms up. once warmed up no smoke. thinking valve seals. is that a big job?:surprise:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
smokes real bad when first starts till it warms up. once warmed up no smoke. thinking valve seals. is that a big job?:surprise:
It sure sounds like valve seals to me. Pretty common back in the day on the car engines I used to work on from the 60's and 70's. You will have to get the cylinder head off, compress the valve springs, remove the valves. Might be a good idea to replace the valve guides too while you are in there. I've never worked on one of those, so I am just assuming that all of that stuff is replaceable. You will need any gaskets that you take apart. You will need a service manual, you can get them online. Some of the other guys like @dezz can probably give you more detailed info.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Does it only smoke on a cold start after sitting for a while? This could indicate both valve seals and/or worn piston and/or rings.

How much oil is it burning, say, per tank of gas?

On a machine that is this old, valve seals would be a common thing. Depending on the miles on the engine and the quality of preventative maintenance, worn piston and rings are very likely.

The only way to know sure is to pull the cylinder head and take a look. Rating the difficulty of this work depends on your skill level. It is a bit of work, but I feel not that hard. You just to follow proper procedures to do it correctly. Get yourself a factory service manual before starting this work. Read the section required to pull the head. Familiarize yourself with the procedure. Then get to work.

Once you inspect it, you can then judge what parts you'll need to repair it and get back to riding.

Reactions: mainehunter
1 - 3 of 3 Posts