Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
119 Posts
I've run that same Warn setup on my Grizzly 550 since 2011. I've now put the same Warn setup on my 2022 XT-R. Works great for most of my snow. Sometimes that 550 would get overwhelmed and I'd need to bring out the tractor. XT-R seems to work better with the couple of feet we've had so far this month. When I put the front mount on the XT-R, I discovered that the XT-R winch was on a different mounting plate that was "special" to the XT-R, so I had to buy a different winch mounting plate to get the plow mount installed.

I agree that you should have left the synthetic cable. You can buy short ones from Warn that are specifically for using the plow. You put a lot of wear on the a very short part of the cable when you plow, so no need to wreck a full 50 foot cable.

As for the snowblower, I've had one since 2011. How useful it is will very much depend on your snow and your situation. I have to clear a gravel road that's almost a mile long. My snow is typically very wet. For my snow, the plow works way better. When the now piles up on the side of the road, I'll bring out the snowblower to carve the edges and make the road a little wider. Otherwise I don't use it. I have become really good at changing the sheer bolts. I also find that I need to take breaks every 30 minutes or so to keep the Grizzly from overheating. I haven't tried it yet with the XT-R.
I don't know much about the 2011's but I doubt you have issues with overheating on the XT-R. I plowed for a couple hours straight a few times last year with no issue. The engine heat keeps your legs warm, but the fan kicks on to keep temps under control.

With the synthetic line, I'm prepared (I hope?) for when it breaks. I'm using the line that came with the winch. I have a few 1/4" cable clamps and a wire rope thimble (I think thats what its called?) so I can continue to use the remaining length of the synthetic line if/when it breaks. Cut off the damaged part, repair with clamps, keep going. That's the plan anyway.

· Registered
2 Posts
I am running a 60" KFI Pro-S on our 2020 Grizzly SE. So far it is the best plow I have had. It uses an under engine plate very similar to the Moose shown in the pics above but the push tube attachment points are wider and directly under the frame rail. The push tubes are triangulated round tube. The blade is easy to adjust and has the weight to stay down. I have had lighter blades that seem to float up when pushing.

· Premium Member
311 Posts
Agree... really does depend on snow and scenario

I get from powder to wet Cascade concrete..... also don't live full time at cabin so snow piles up to a point that plow on the quad would be more work than the trouble.

My walk behind snowblowers (Yamaha and Husqvarna) tend to work the best for me. The main road is plowed to a point and then groomed for snowmobile/tracked use as the snow deepens. At the latter point you have to park a couple miles away and sled/quad in.

As for the snowblower, I've had one since 2011. How useful it is will very much depend on your snow and your situation. I have to clear a gravel road that's almost a mile long. My snow is typically very wet. For my snow, the plow works way better. When the now piles up on the side of the road, I'll bring out the snowblower to carve the edges and make the road a little wider. Otherwise I don't use it. I have become really good at changing the sheer bolts. I also find that I need to take breaks every 30 minutes or so to keep the Grizzly from overheating. I haven't tried it yet with the XT-R.

· Registered
2017 Grizzly
514 Posts
Weight of the push blade is a good thing snow dependent, I bought my mid mount plow (cycle country) in 1996 and it has been through some hard duty. Using a pulley system to effectively lift and physics, I never had a problem with the steel cables.
The 700 is a good plow system until the snow depth exceeds it capabilities. I would not worry about overheating as that is what the fan is for and it will be winter.

· Registered
14 Posts
62" is about the average for a good plow blade.
I haven't looked at the grizzly xtr blade specifically but I would disagree with this. I believe most 4 wheeler blades are 50" wide and I wouldn't want any wider than that if you live in a neighborhood and are planning on plowing sidewalks. I've moved alot of snow over the years with a wheeler and all my plows were 48-50" wide and either cycle country or warn brand. I really liked the warn because it mounted forward farther on the machine and lifted higher than the cycle country did.

How wide you go also really depends on your snow conditions where you live. If you primarily get dry fluffy snow a wider blade will work just fine but if you get a more wet heavy snow you will over power your wheeler pretty quickly. They just don't weigh enough to push a large pile of wet heavy snow in my experience.

· Registered
2022 Grizzly XT-R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow, this thread kept going. Really good info here. Feels like it should be a sticky.

Pretty sure my wife bought me a system for Christmas. I guess I'll report back after the holidays.

Thanks everyone! Cheers.

· Super Moderator
2,048 Posts
I haven't looked at the grizzly xtr blade specifically but I would disagree with this. I believe most 4 wheeler blades are 50" wide and I wouldn't want any wider than that if you live in a neighborhood and are planning on plowing sidewalks. I've moved alot of snow over the years with a wheeler and all my plows were 48-50" wide and either cycle country or warn brand. I really liked the warn because it mounted forward farther on the machine and lifted higher than the cycle country did.

How wide you go also really depends on your snow conditions where you live. If you primarily get dry fluffy snow a wider blade will work just fine but if you get a more wet heavy snow you will over power your wheeler pretty quickly. They just don't weigh enough to push a large pile of wet heavy snow in my experience.
Most blades these days are 54 on small side and 60 avg. With bikes now being a minimum 48" wide stock, you need a 54" plow just so snow clears the wheel track when angled. With most city sidewalks being 48 to 52" standard a fully angled 54 or 60" plow fits perfectly.
If plowing an area with any length at all, your plow should be angled. Even very heavy wet snow isn't much issue with an angled 60" plow, as you are only taking about a 50" cut if it was a full width cut which it most likely isn't. The 700 will take a 3/4 blade cut, angled, of wet snow about 16" deep with very little effort, and moves quick enough to cast it well off to the side. Have been very impressed with this 700 vs my old 450 Honda.

My new neighbor just picked up a 1000 outlander with a 66" boss V plow. Can't wait to see that beast in action

· Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,481 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Sorry it took so long to respond, but here are some pics of the Moose + Kit I picked up.

It's pretty heavy duty. I've got a lot to plow + heavy/wet lake effect snow. This was the thickness and weight I was looking for. If you run synthetic winch I'd suggest switching to cable for winter/plowing. Just the info I got from the mechanic up at the shop I bought at.

Overall super happy with the quality and build. Everything bolts right up with no forcing/hammers/swearing/blood...

Good luck finding your plow regardless!

That's the same Moose I have and it works just fine.

· Premium Member
'23 XTR
238 Posts
I love it! Finally got to give it a solid test. Moved a little over 10" of pretty wet snow without any issues. 1/10th mile driveway. Still highly recommend this set up for anyone looking for a solid plow.

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you're all safe and warm after that crazy storm.

· Registered
45 Posts
Great thread! I've had both Moose & Warn plows & really like them both. From what I've seen, they're both top notch plows. I hope to plow more w/ my XTR & 60" Warn plow this year than I did last but I got it late & we only got 1 snow after I got the plow. Reckon I better be careful what I wish for though :)

· Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
119 Posts
Looks like a mid mount? From what I can tell from the pictures, it looks a heck of a lot like my warn in terms of the plow bracket, push bars, etc. Looks like it’ll be fine. Did it come with a mount plate?

edit to add: I see the mount plate in the picture now. Mount it up and, looks awesome!

edit again: I see a KFI logo there too. I have a KFI winch mount plate, I think they make some good stuff!

Reactions: Chr1s

· Registered
24 Posts
Should have left your synthetic cable on the, it works much better for plowing, less susceptible to breaking and no memory effect from extreme bends you get when plowing
While that may be true. I have been plowing with my ATV for about 5 years and no issue with the steel cable. I run the cable thru a snatch block and back up so I can pull blade higher. It is not a straight pull so I suspect synthetic would fray pretty quick. A friend has a new machine and running his synthetic for plowing and it is already frayed. I will stick with my steel winch cable.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts