Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2017 Grizzly
514 Posts
Coolbrze, to help and just an idea; Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Auto part
here is how my plow is set up using a pulley, this plow is 27 years old and never broke the cable on 3 different ATV's. I also reinforce during plowing season the front rack with a length of Rebar to handle the weight. Helpful to insure the rope is long enough to only bring the plow up just high enough. Got $4.00 into it.

· Super Moderator
2,048 Posts
While that may be true. I have been plowing with my ATV for about 5 years and no issue with the steel cable. I run the cable thru a snatch block and back up so I can pull blade higher. It is not a straight pull so I suspect synthetic would fray pretty quick. A friend has a new machine and running his synthetic for plowing and it is already frayed. I will stick with my steel winch cable.
Your friends synthetic rope shouldn't be fraying running through a snatch block unless the rope is too large for the block or the block was used before with steel cable and has damage. Synthetic doesn't just fray on a roller.
Synthetic should outlast steel for plowing as it has no memory. That's the issue with steel, it's bending in the same spot over and over with plow use and it snaps. You have some what many do and loop through a block which reduces the sharp bend, prolonging it's life. That other issue both steel and synthetic have is guys that try to lift the plow beyond its stop point, putting stress on the cable and eventually snapping it.
Nothing beats a strap setup, like a boat winch strap or even an old piece of ratchet strap. Damn near impossible to break.

· Registered
18 Posts
Your friends synthetic rope shouldn't be fraying running through a snatch block unless the rope is too large for the block or the block was used before with steel cable and has damage. Synthetic doesn't just fray on a roller.
Synthetic should outlast steel for plowing as it has no memory. That's the issue with steel, it's bending in the same spot over and over with plow use and it snaps. You have some what many do and loop through a block which reduces the sharp bend, prolonging it's life. That other issue both steel and synthetic have is guys that try to lift the plow beyond its stop point, putting stress on the cable and eventually snapping it.
Nothing beats a strap setup, like a boat winch strap or even an old piece of ratchet strap. Damn near impossible to break.
Yes, ratchet strap for the win,easy too tie it back together and keep rolling!

· Registered
11 Posts
As the title says, looking for snow plow suggestions for my 2022 Grizzly 700 XT-R. Anyone have thoughts?

I've heard several complaints about ATV snow plows, so just trying to learn from other's mistakes. 😂
I have the swisher. Most expensive but im told its the best especially with the way it mounts. It goes to the rear reciever, making it the absolute strongest system with the least strain on the machine per every dealership i asked.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts