Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my 200 mile service, and I noticed that my Front Diff and Rear final drive drain plugs are flush allen head plugs which I like because there is no bolt head sticking out on the undercarriage.
Anyway, my owners manual shows both of these plugs as being a bolt head, and after I crawled around underneath my rig, I found that the allen heads are the only plugs that are there.
I was under the assumption that the gold plugs would fit into the drain holes like the gold plug for the engine oil drain. Not be for the upper check and add holes.
Also, the front gold plug is a little longer than the stock add plug. Wondering if that will create any issues?

Thanks for any help, Larry

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
The gold plugs replace the factory drain plugs using the Allen key. Trust us, those Allen key plugs suck. They only have a couple threads, which tend to strip or break off. Additionally, the Allen key hole will strip if the plug is tight.
The gold plug being longer is also perfectly fine. Look into the drain hole hole and you'll see about 3/4" of threaded area.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Can someone confirm what part number plugs fit the 2016 grizzly front rear and engine plugs

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My only concern is the engine size category only has 700 Not the 708cc. I assume it's ok, but don't want to order wrong

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just installed the front and the engine drain plugs in my 2017. I read here to be extra careful removing the cheap factory installed allen head plugs. I listened but am now
having issues with my final drive plug. it is partially stripped, but I can get a larger allen wrench in the plug hole. But the plug is extremely tight, and I don't want to strip it
out more. I am going to have an auto mechanic friend give it go later on.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Use some heat Montana!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Just installed the front and the engine drain plugs in my 2017. I read here to be extra careful removing the cheap factory installed allen head plugs. I listened but am now
having issues with my final drive plug. it is partially stripped, but I can get a larger allen wrench in the plug hole. But the plug is extremely tight, and I don't want to strip it
out more. I am going to have an auto mechanic friend give it go later on.
Use some heat and probably hammer in a torx bit. Use one that fits tight.
Did you use a "metric" Allen key or did you use a SAE size?
All hardware on a Yamaha is metric.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started with a metric allen. The same one that took the plug out of the front diff. The rear final drive is stipped past the metric allen, so now I can get an SAE 7/32 to take a good bite, but the plug will not turn. I was using a box end wrench on the end of the allen for more leverage, but no turn, and I was really horsing on it. So I decided to stop, so I don't mess anything up more. Heat sounds good, and I am going to let some more experienced minds take a look at it and give it a try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And one more thing that I think started my problems. If anyone is new to this like me, remove the two screws on the back of the rear skid plate to let the skid plate hang down, and get right up to the drain plug. I didn't do this, and most likely didn't have the allen tool all the way in the plug. The front diff plug came out very easy with the front skid plate left on for me anyways.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Allen bolt tip; Allen bolts are concave at the bottom, not flat. Take the right size allen wrench, grind the edges off slightly or more at a 45 degree angle, this will allow the wrench to sit further down in the bolt head till it bottoms out. You should be able to loosen it if you have any flats left in the bolt head, I've done this many times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on this, My auto mechanic friend was able to remove this plug with a long drift pin. He was able to put the pin through the frame, so it lined up straight on the side of the plug. A couple of hits from a medium ball peen hammer, and we were in business. I am glad it is off, was thinking I may have had to split the case to drain the diff oil.
Also, I left my ATV on the back of my pickup, making it a lot easier to work on.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Took 2.5 weeks but well worth the wait for a quality product. Switched all the plugs quickly with minimal fluid loss. Top up all fluids, tightened everything, 10 min done.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
what are the three plugs? I have one for my oil, just wonder about the others so I can plan on my next purchase to get them as well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts