Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I were riding this past weekend I noticed my front breaks were requiring more force to stop. I had to bring the lever back to almost touching the handle bar in order for them to lock up.

So I pulled the tires, and checked the pads. Pads have plenty of life left, only have 500 miles on the 2019 anyways. But it got me thinking I could possibly have air in the lines but no matter how much I pump the lever it does not get stiffer.

Leads me to believe I may have a master cylinder bad or what about wheel bearings? I'll check those today when I get home from work.

Anybody have this problem ? Or a something I should test in order to diagnose?

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,026 Posts
One of your brake pads could be held up from a tab on one of the pads. Those tabs have been known to get hung up. I had it happen to me on my 07 Grizzly where the tab got bent so I replaced the pads. I've heard you can get a small flathead screw driver in there sometimes and free up the tab. I would check for an obstruction (seems like you have done that already) or on one of the tabs before cracking open the brake line and bleeding them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of your brake pads could be held up from a tab on one of the pads. Those tabs have been known to get hung up. I had it happen to me on my 07 Grizzly where the tab got bent so I replaced the pads. I've heard you can get a small flathead screw driver in there sometimes and free up the tab. I would check for an obstruction (seems like you have done that already) or on one of the tabs before cracking open the brake line and bleeding them.
I'll give that a try in just a little bit and see if anything else may be sticking or hung up.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
I had a bad front wheel bearing causing the rotor to run out of line through the caliper causing heat build up, thus a soft break. The bearing keeps every thing aligned, so I replaced the bearing and the problem went away.

Reactions: Jordan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll pull apart the master too and might as well rebuild it too. I got some free Valvoline 3/4 synthetic fluid from last trip to the parts store so I'll put it to use.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
Overheated brake fluid will cause that issue. Dragging pad, stuck piston, warped rotor, bad wheel bearing, debris in the caliper.
Is the brake still soft/mushy after sitting for a day?
If yes then look fort a bad caliper or master cylinder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Overheated brake fluid will cause that issue. Dragging pad, stuck piston, warped rotor, bad wheel bearing, debris in the caliper.
Is the brake still soft/mushy after sitting for a day?
If yes then look fort a bad caliper or master cylinder.
Yes, after a couple days it's still soft. As in takes a lot more squeeze in the brake lever to get full engagement. Should be able to take it all apart today, bleed and change pads, I ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit as well. Going to start replacing parts one by one to see if I can single out the issue. I'll give the calipers a good cleaning and greasing along with it all.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
Have you tried to bleed them again. Many members have a real problem bleeding Griz brakes. Post up if you have any problem with bleeding. It is simple actually.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried to bleed them again. Many members have a real problem bleeding Griz brakes. Post up if you have any problem with bleeding. It is simple actually.
I have not tried to bleed them yet. Will report back after I give it a go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts