Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a 2019 that I sold, and cant say i'm gonna miss it. obviously in the minority here but I wasn't that crazy about the thing.

last grizzly was a 2013 550 eps. been on Polaris 550xp or 570's since.

things I missed:

Polaris power steering: simply effortless and smooth. grizzly: had to wonder if it even worked sometimes....

4wd: I know the Polaris aint perfect, but putting the switch to awd and not even thinking about it all day is pretty dang simple... no diff lock/override when things get crazy....just give the Polaris some gas and go....

racks: plastic flatter racks work great, tubes from the 80's leave a lot to be desired in my opinion...

Suspension: well after dropping $1350 on elkas the grizzly got rideable....still not like an XP Polaris...stock grizzly is brutal

power: wasn't impressed with the grizzly. seemed sluggish. was sick of throwing money at it by that point.

Gauge pod: grizzly "new style" pod is ok at best.... nothing high tech or high quality. Polaris is easier to read and see

Air filter: I don't even know what a new 850xp has but the Yamaha setup is JUNK. again, wasn't gonna throw more money at it....

I think my next rig will be an 850XP. I jumped on a buddies while on a trip and was very disappointed to switch back to the grizzly. the new XP is smooth, comfortable, easy to ride.

I feel like Yamaha needs to really step up their game. I get they are reliable....but I just trail ride and check fields. Polaris has never left me walking.

I just never got the "wow" factor from the grizzly that I expected after reading how much better the suspension has gotten over the years.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
had a 2019 that I sold, and cant say i'm gonna miss it. obviously in the minority here but I wasn't that crazy about the thing.

last grizzly was a 2013 550 eps. been on Polaris 550xp or 570's since.

things I missed:

Polaris power steering: simply effortless and smooth. grizzly: had to wonder if it even worked sometimes....

4wd: I know the Polaris aint perfect, but putting the switch to awd and not even thinking about it all day is pretty dang simple... no diff lock/override when things get crazy....just give the Polaris some gas and go....

racks: plastic flatter racks work great, tubes from the 80's leave a lot to be desired in my opinion...

Suspension: well after dropping $1350 on elkas the grizzly got rideable....still not like an XP Polaris...stock grizzly is brutal

power: wasn't impressed with the grizzly. seemed sluggish. was sick of throwing money at it by that point.

Gauge pod: grizzly "new style" pod is ok at best.... nothing high tech or high quality. Polaris is easier to read and see

Air filter: I don't even know what a new 850xp has but the Yamaha setup is JUNK. again, wasn't gonna throw more money at it....

I think my next rig will be an 850XP. I jumped on a buddies while on a trip and was very disappointed to switch back to the grizzly. the new XP is smooth, comfortable, easy to ride.

I feel like Yamaha needs to really step up their game. I get they are reliable....but I just trail ride and check fields. Polaris has never left me walking.

I just never got the "wow" factor from the grizzly that I expected after reading how much better the suspension has gotten over the years.

Dude seriously? You did 164 miles on your Grizz!!!???

That 's extreme short term ownership and nothing more. You obviously didn't use it...

Heck in 2.5 years my old 09 550 and me did 4500 miles of hell.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep that's 3 hard, long, rough days in the mountains at 45 miles a day and a few around home.... I knew in the first mile the thing was overrated...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I got rid of my polaris because I hated working on it all the time. I rode a buddies new 570 sportsman and disliked that more than my old polaris 500. And the Polaris is the most difficult atv I ever worked on making even more frustrating. Bought my 2017 Kodiak and it’s the best ride I’ve ever thrown my leg over. I want to be on it all the time. Good luck.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Good luck with your new PoPo and yes everyone has an option. I think I would do a little more homework and even take one out for a test ride before just running out and buy one. But again good luck with your next machine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Even though it's an 09, mine is new to me and I have to agree with a couple of the OP's points. In fact I had to disconnect my power steering plug to confirm if it worked or not. It does, but is definitely not as easy as I thought it would be, although I had never ridden anything with EPS before this. Also, a pretty harsh ride compared to the 05 Kingquad 700 I owned a few years ago. But those things aside, I will definitely take the dependablity over a Polaris, which I have had 4 of, two quads and two Rzrs.

·
Premium Member
9,243 Posts
yep that's 3 hard, long, rough days in the mountains at 45 miles a day and a few around home.... I knew in the first mile the thing was overrated...
Well, I am glad you have a place like G.C. to get the weight off your chest.
If you think 45 miles is a rough day in the mountains, you have no idea of what mountain riding is like.
Then to compare the two different sized rides together, a 550 to and 850, shows your lack of understanding.
You remind me of an old member here a few years ago, Mountain Slayer 660. He thought his 450 was the shits until he forgot to strap it to the trailer and it fell off. The insurance payed him off, then he got a 660 and the 450 was a P.O.S.
Good luck moving to the popo sight.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Lol is he for real ?????

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I am glad you have a place like G.C. to get the weight off your chest.
If you think 45 miles is a rough day in the mountains, you have no idea of what mountain riding is like.
Then to compare the two different sized rides together, a 550 to and 850, shows your lack of understanding.
You remind me of an old member here a few years ago, Mountain Slayer 660. He thought his 450 was the shits until he forgot to strap it to the trailer and it fell off. The insurance payed him off, then he got a 660 and the 450 was a P.O.S.
Good luck moving to the popo sight.
Well come with me next year and spend most of the day getting 45 miles on and you’ll find out how easy it is where I ride. We winch, push, pull, guys up and over places most people don’t dream of riding. And I ain’t comparing a 550 to an 850. Last time I checked my 2019 was a 700 as someone as smart as you should know.

My whole point is for the price of a grizzly what are you really getting ?? Something that needs a lot of money in mods in my opinion.

My last grizzly was a 2013 550. My 2019 was only a notch better is what I was disappointed in. The suspension sucked on both.

I’ve put thousands of miles on over the years. Sorry my summer was busy and I only got 164 miles this year. You guys are lucky you get to ride more. I just knew right away the new grizzly wasn’t for me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well come with me next year and spend most of the day getting 45 miles on and you’ll find out how easy it is where I ride. We winch, push, pull, guys up and over places most people don’t dream of riding. And I ain’t comparing a 550 to an 850. Last time I checked my 2019 was a 700 as someone as smart as you should know.

My whole point is for the price of a grizzly what are you really getting ?? Something that needs a lot of money in mods in my opinion.

My last grizzly was a 2013 550. My 2019 was only a notch better is what I was disappointed in. The suspension sucked on both.

I’ve put thousands of miles on over the years. Sorry my summer was busy and I only got 164 miles this year. You guys are lucky you get to ride more. I just knew right away the new grizzly wasn’t for me.
This sucks to hear, the dealer I bought my latest grizzly from let me ride as long as I wanted on their test track to make sure it was what I was looking for. Hopefully you next dealership will allow you to get a little seat time before you pull the trigger. (I love mine and the 3 others that I have)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Even though it's an 09, mine is new to me and I have to agree with a couple of the OP's points. In fact I had to disconnect my power steering plug to confirm if it worked or not. It does, but is definitely not as easy as I thought it would be, although I had never ridden anything with EPS before this. Also, a pretty harsh ride compared to the 05 Kingquad 700 I owned a few years ago. But those things aside, I will definitely take the dependablity over a Polaris, which I have had 4 of, two quads and two Rzrs.
I think you guys have something wrong with your EPS if you cant tell the difference. My EPS is super light and quick even when parked I can move it all the way left & right with all most no effort, and I have over sized tires on it. My wife's Honda Rubicon does not have power steering and you really have to put some muscle into that thing to turn at slow speed.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Here you go!!!BYE

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here you go!!!BYE
And it’s dudes like you that make this place what it is ... I’ll let you figure that out on your own.

Can’t believe how butt hurt some people get when someone comments that a grizzly ain’t perfect. It’s good, but not great.

If the grizzly was $7500 I’d prolly feel different about the whole thing. Then buying shocks, handlebars , air filter kits , etc would get you in the $10k range but there’s still the eps and other things that don’t compare to the competition.

Again, my opinion.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Make sure the POPO is insured for fire loss, check out the recalls also! IMO stay away from Polaris.

Attached is a Polaris Sportsman that burned down at the WNF this April 2019. Attached Thumbnails
Apparently it was due to an electrical short. Again check for any recalls, issues before buying a Polaris.
IMO, Yamaha went downhill when they stopped making them in Japan for 2012 and beyond. I've been real happy/satisfied with my 2011 Grizzly.
Maybe a Suzuki King Quad would be better to your liking. I read good things about them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think you guys have something wrong with your EPS if you cant tell the difference. My EPS is super light and quick even when parked I can move it all the way left & right with all most no effort, and I have over sized tires on it. My wife's Honda Rubicon does not have power steering and you really have to put some muscle into that thing to turn at slow speed.

I agree, I've shut off the ignition "stealth mode" and coasted downhill around a mile or so of twisty/winding forest trail and definitely felt the difference between manual/power steering. It's like a night and day comparison. No way I would want to ride without power steering.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, I've shut off the ignition "stealth mode" and coasted downhill around a mile or so of twisty/winding forest trail and definitely felt the difference between manual/power steering. It's like a night and day comparison. No way I would want to ride without power steering.
ya I agree with that, ive had 4 grizzly's over the years with EPS (2009,2012,2013, and 2019) and they were all similar. Definetely helps and that's why I kept buying, I was just saying there is a huge difference with the competitions. that is also like night and day.

and the fire situation...it happens to all of them. never heard of one burning up "here" so then it must not happen....lol

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.