Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a soon to be Grizzly Owner, 2018 Grizzly next week. I am coming from a 2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE that I love for performance but hate for costing me a small fortune in repairs...all summer...so I am done and going back to my Yamaha bloodlines.

I currently run 26" Big Horn OG's on my machine 9 and 11" widths on 14's which work well. They fit my style perfectly. I have been searching the best I could and have not found an answer to my question. Looking to get OG's again or HTR's and now for a 12" rim, I actually prefer the black steel rims compared to polished fancy aluminum that will only get scratched and ruined.

My factory size is 26x8x12, 26x10x12

Question 1: I would like to run a BH 27x9x12 front, 27x12x12 rear as there is no 11" width for 12" diameter tire. Will a 12" wide fit in the back w/o modification?

Question 2: Kenda Bear Claw HTR Radial (8ply) 27x9-12 and 27x11-12 ATV Tires (4) via amazon sells for $471 shipped. Would a 11" wide fit in the back w/o modification?

Question 3: BH OG 27x12x12=32.8 lb
HTR 27x11x12= xx lb? All I can find is 10 and 12 widths at 26 and 36 lb
respectively. I'll assume 31?

Question 4: Are HTR's true to size from a diameter measurement?

I am leaning toward HTR's due to price and how similar they are to BH reviewed performance. They both are so close in weights and have same difference from stock so I'll look into spring/weight combos I am seeing so much about.

Thanks in advance from a Yamaha nut!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I don't think you'll have any problems with clearance on either tire. Both tires run slightly over sized but shouldn't give you any issues, others can chime in. With the HTR's being 8 ply they won't ride as plush as a BH OG but will do better in soft/wet conditions. I've had both tires and both are a good all around tire.

Weight wise the BH OG and HTR are very comparable weight wise.

check out this website.... https://www.pureoffroad.com/ they have tire weights for both tires you're looking for. good luck and enjoy that new Grizz!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run HTR 26x9-12 fronts with 26x11-12 rear tires and agree they are a great all around tire. They will occasionally rub the plastic on my 2016 kodiak, but have plenty of clearance on 2014 grizzly.

I purchased these on amazon through chaparral motorsports.

I haven’t justified the extra cost for bighorns to try them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,342 Posts
The Bighorn 3 comes in an 11" width but only 26" height for a 12" wheel. @RansomP ran those on the rear, right? Long term, did they end up being any good?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I ran the Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 for about 600 miles before I traded the Grizzly they were on. I really liked them, but wish I would have been able to put more miles on them. They were 26 inch.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I run the HTR'S on my 16 grizz, 26x9 front and 26x11 rears with no rubbing issues, they run a lot bigger then the 26 stock tires that your grizz comes with, and to me are just about perfect for size on the grizz, 27's would be to much for my liking, 3500miles on them and about 1/3 of the thread is wore off, they have been a great tire for me and will buy another set when these wear out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I run the OGs in 26" on my '17. ONE of the reasons I went with the 14" wheels is for the 11" wide rear. I don't know how much true to size difference there is in the widths but I wanted to prevent as much mud from flinging onto me and the machine as possible.

I only have a comparison to stock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I have the 27 BHOG and only rub a little in the rear at the footwells on big jumps with the shocks on the next to softest setting. My buddy has the HTR.s on his 08 700 with no rubbing at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run the OGs in 26" on my '17. ONE of the reasons I went with the 14" wheels is for the 11" wide rear. I don't know how much true to size difference there is in the widths but I wanted to prevent as much mud from flinging onto me and the machine as possible.

I only have a comparison to stock.
My 2015 I picked up has 25" on stock 12" rims, 25x10-12 I think in rear. Is that what you have pictured? If so do you know what BH OG measure 4-5 psi mounted? I will compare to my current set up.

Can anyone speak to 11" width on 12" factory wheels?

·
Premium Member
9,262 Posts
The 27" O.G.'s measure true to stated size.
The 26" O.G.'s measure 25.6"s true.
I run the 26's and air pressure from 4 to 11 pounds did not change the diameter enough to be measured easily. It just makes the sidewalls less flexible and more stable at higher speeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 27" O.G.'s measure true to stated size.
The 26" O.G.'s measure 25.6"s true.
I run the 26's and air pressure from 4 to 11 pounds did not change the diameter enough to be measured easily. It just makes the sidewalls less flexible and more stable at higher speeds.
26s measure 26.5 or 25.6? If it's 26.5 I'll run those if I get BH.

Will 12" width tire fit the 12" diameter rim? as I don't know the rim width. Everyone buying 12" rear tires seem to run 14" diameter wheels which probably habe a different rim width.

·
Premium Member
9,262 Posts
26s measure 26.5 or 25.6? If it's 26.5 I'll run those if I get BH.

Will 12" width tire fit the 12" diameter rim? as I don't know the rim width. Everyone buying 12" rear tires seem to run 14" diameter wheels which probably habe a different rim width.
CORRECTION....
glad you caught this...
The number is 26.5".....fat fingers typing? who knows?
The one's I know running 27" found a sale and paid less, in my opinion there is not enough difference in diameter for the extra $$$$ at suggested retatil.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I put CST Stag 26" on my grizz, it seems to be a verry grippy tire from my last two ride's in different conditions.
It's rated 8pr, but the sidewall says 2 layer in the midle, and 4 on the sidewalls.

9" front and 11" rear measured 640mm from ground to top with 0.3bar.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts