Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually on my Kodiak 700 but seeing as Grizzlys and Kodiak’s share the same master cylinder for the front brakes will work equally well. Turns out first generation R6 brake levers are a direct swap. Also lots of cheap options on Amazon in various colours etc. This full set was $44.00 and even if I’m only using the one lever it’s a bargain.

Attachments

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC and thanks for the info. Post up an intro and tell us a little about yourself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is actually on my Kodiak 700 but seeing as Grizzlys and Kodiak’s share the same master cylinder for the front brakes will work equally well. Turns out first generation R6 brake levers are a direct swap. Also lots of cheap options on Amazon in various colours etc. This full set was $44.00 and even if I’m only using the one lever it’s a bargain.
Awesome info!

I recently damaged my front brake lever on a trail and have been looking for shorty levers and couldn't find anything that fit. Was getting close to just cutting mine down. I wish there was a way to get both to be short levers....

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
ottbighorn- Thanks for the info. When you mention first generation R6 I take it you meant the Yamaha YZF R6. Could you tell me which years your talking about. I see all sorts of fitments for R6's but a bunch of different years as well. Just want to make sure I get the right ones to fit my 700 Grizz. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes YzfR6 as in the sport bike. The first fitment looks to cover 1999 to 2004. They also fit Fz1 from 2001-2005 and 2003 FJR according to the yamaha cross reference. Next thing will be braided brake lines to get rid of the mush in the factory lines.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
what is the advantage of short levers ?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
@Ottbighorn your Kodiak has the wet rear brake, right? So cable activated? Was the left side lever (clutch on the R6, rear brake on the Kodiak) that came in the kit even a close fit for that?

·
Registered
104 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I prefer to just use two fingers on the brakes regardless of the lever size. The stubby lever makes that more comfortable. Having them span adjustable allow you to position its resting point at a comfortable distance from the bars as a starting point. The span difference is pretty big. The pics show both extremes of the adjustment range. Really it’s all about setting up the controls to suit you perfectly rather than conform to what was handed to you from Yamaha.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the Kodiak has the cable operated rear brake and sadly the factory perch will not fit the R6 lever. That’s easily fixed though by changing to the R6 perch. I’m headed to my local dealer to order one this afternoon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
EBay, 2004 Yamaha r6. Feels way much comfortable with one or two fingers, and the adjustability is great since I got smaller hands.

Important: I had to shim the contact point of the brake light switch. I put a flat spot of hot glue to the lever and it works fine.

2018 Grizzly gray w/steel wheel

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know this is old, but what year 700s would these fit? I have a 2013 and I am curious if there the same

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bet it fits all year with hydraulic front brake since its a part for a 2004 R6. Other members will confirm.

Wish the left one(rear brake) fits too. Maybe with some machining.....

2018 Grizzly gray w/steel wheel, Rox riser, 26" CST Anclaw, Epi purple spring, 0.5mm shim

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I know this is old, but what year 700s would these fit? I have a 2013 and I am curious if there the same
All you got to do is compare part numbers on any online parts website. Compare part number of your brake lever to a 2016-2018 model. If part numbers are the same, you know to certain it will fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad some of you are getting some use from this. I did find that using a file to clearance the lever to the master cylinder on the back side adds some extra lever travel and more braking force. As far as different years go there are two lever part numbers that span 2013 to 2019 and the earlier one supersedes to the later one making them interchangeable. This should work for all Grizzly’s from 2013 to 2019

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here's a tip for anyone who wants to try this - get either Pazzo brand or CRG brand. This is probably a new concept to ATV riders but is a very common mod for sportbike riders especially in the racing and track day market. It's a solid "two-finger" brake pull, and the adjustment makes the reach to the lever just right for any rider. The reason for the brand recommendation is those are the original brands that are quality machined. The ebay and amazon ones are knock-offs and there have been reports of MANY failures due to them breaking, which is VERY bad considering these are your brakes and you are likely traveling at high speed when you need them. They will also fade very quickly - your black will become silver/light blue, and your red will become pink in just a short period of time - less than a year. I've seen gold ones turn yellow, and blue ones turn silver. Pazzo brand and CRG brand will last for decades and hold their color. They are proven in the high performance motorcycle market.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts