Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen that cheap amazon starter at 80$ and I wonder if it's worth it to carry a spare starter, since it's more weight and room is limited?

These starter don't particularly seems to have a tendency to fail but I sure have seen a few posts on this while searching

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been thinking the same. I had a fuel pump fail on my second ride on my 19 Raptor and they are known to have issues so I now carry a spare on both of mine. I'd just hate to be miles from anywhere and get stranded. It's not like you are going to push start one alone :) I've wondered even if you were going down a steep enough hill once you were going fast enough if you could cram it into gear to start it. It would be a crazy ride trying to steer and hold yourself on with one hand while shifting with the other when the motor engaged. Anyone done it?

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A tow start would definitely work, but the problem is when I ride by myself. Roll start maybe if lucky enough to have a significant grade nearby only. I asked a few months ago if there was a way to start a 700 by yourself if starter fails and concensus was pretty much you're out of luck.

But do they fail enough without warning to justify having a spare one that is the Q

·
Premium Member
'23 XTR
43 Posts
A tow start would definitely work, but the problem is when I ride by myself. Roll start maybe if lucky enough to have a significant grade nearby only. I asked a few months ago if there was a way to start a 700 by yourself if starter fails and concensus was pretty much you're out of luck.

But do they fail enough without warning to justify having a spare one that is the Q
I've always been an advocate of having a spare on hand. I'm prob going to order that Amazon pump to have on hand. There's all kinds of cool spare parts on amazon. I wish all of them were quality. 😅 There are some hidden gems on there with some due diligence. Most of my CNC / 3D Printer parts come from Amazon. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
12,854 Posts
I watched this thread waiting for your question above :)

I suggest before a starter motor craps out that you try bump starting your machine. Find a hill and start there, to learn if you need a steeper hill for enough speed, to then learn the speed required becomes your next problem if the transmission doesn't fail. Then you can consider bump starting with a tow strap, or be happy being pulled back to the truck.

For me I ride a 660 with a pull start rope and gravity fed carb, and learned how to time the engine to turn the engine over by hand, barely.
Being broke down or stuck on a mountains is why I leave word with someone in town as to when I will be back, and if not back on time for them to send help in a know direction.

I did a video coasting down the mountain, and yes I left the key on, engine kill switch off to read the speed. I started the engine and put the transmission in gear on a flat place, you can hear the engine r.p.m. needed for the transmission to slide into gear easily, now consider needing a steep hill for speed, to then slide the rear tires as you move the shifter to then release the brake....will the tire slide, or roll? Or do you want to be in 4x4, with or without diff lock? and how much throttle is needed when the engine fires?

I you ride alone, with the number of reported starter problems over the last few years, you might be wiser to pack a stare starter over a tire repair kit.

• Helpful
Reactions: diverscale

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Good idea, I'll definitely try a hill start with rear wheel blocking on my next ride, and hopefully be succesful and get some muscle memory on how to do it in an "emergency" situation. Thing is, it is now snowy and would be much easier to accomplish compared to higher-adherence summer ground. Let's say I still have some homework to do.

Would be much simpler to bump start than replacing this starter on the trail also. I'll still make some room and carry the cheap amazon spare starter

I don't understand how you can block your rear wheel and enter the gear without using your right hand in the video though

·
Premium Member
12,854 Posts
I don't understand how you can block your rear wheel and enter the gear without using your right hand in the video though
I the video I'm coasting with the engine off, then I start the engine and use the throttle to speed up the engine r,p,m,'s for the trans to slide into gear easily.
I didn't slide the rear tires like needed without a working starter motor.

• Helpful
Reactions: diverscale

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
Thanks. Good idea, I'll definitely try a hill start with rear wheel blocking on my next ride, and hopefully be succesful and get some muscle memory on how to do it in an "emergency" situation. Thing is, it is now snowy and would be much easier to accomplish compared to higher-adherence summer ground. Let's say I still have some homework to do.

Would be much simpler to bump start than replacing this starter on the trail also. I'll still make some room and carry the cheap amazon spare starter

Our bikes start very easily rolling down a hill especially when the engine is still warm. A cold start is a little tougher. But I've tried a few times now, and it works very well. You do need a decently steep hill, you do need to be rolling fairly well in neutral in four-wheel drive you do not need diff lock. To be honest I couldn't really tell you the speed I just took a rough gas of when I thought I was moving quick enough I didn't really look at the speedometer. You don't need to squeeze any break or anything like that our bikes do not have a brake lock to shift You can simply shift from neutral straight into high gear the bike will take off and simply give it a little fuel to continue on It will go without fuel the engine brake will simply hold it You're already rolling and moving it's fine. Surprisingly the tires don't drag very much unless it's a very compacted trail with a lot of blue stuff on the surface. I'll try next weekend to take a video of it, we've got a fair amount of snow now so I'm not sure if I can find a trail that still has bare ground or at least something I can get a little bit of traction on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never needed a spare starter and would never use the cheap crap from Amazon. I would buy a good used OEM one before that mess.
However starters are one of the least problematic things on these and most bikes.
So I don’t carry a spare starter. Less weight and really no need for it. Like others have said can be pull started in an emergency situation. I wouldn’t do that to my bevel gears either. I try not to ride alone very often so that’s when I get a tow back. I carry straps not extra parts..

That’s me tho, whatever helps you sleep good at night!!

Good luck!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
Never needed a spare starter and would never use the cheap crap from Amazon. I would buy a good used OEM one before that mess.
However starters are one of the least problematic things on these and most bikes.
So I don’t carry a spare starter. Less weight and really no need for it. Like others have said can be pull started in an emergency situation. I wouldn’t do that to my bevel gears either. I try not to ride alone very often so that’s when I get a tow back. I carry straps not extra parts..

That’s me tho, whatever helps you sleep good at night!!

Good luck!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
Definitely use a cheap Amazon started before some used one that might have 10 or 10000 starts left. Plenty of bikes out there running on Amazon or eBay starters with no issues. Started are probably the single largest problem on these and other brand bikes in the last 3 or 4 years. Huge magnet debonding issue with many OEM starters across the ATV brands.
I don't see a reason to carry a starter with you, the amount of tools and the time it would take to tear down the plastics and crap just to get to it, it's not a trailside repair IMO.

Definitely try to ride with a buddy or group. I usually don't have anyone local to go with so I'm alone most of the time but I never venture much more than 20km from home, but I also do have the advantage that I'm usually riding on the back woods on mine property where I work and we are a 24/7 operation. Most of that area has weak cell service, not great but can atleast get a txt off if needed. I can contact one of the supervisors and have them send a labourer to pick me up at the nearest road. I can atleast get back home to get tools or a truck for repair or recovery.

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
We rescued a snowmobiler 2 years ago, I was plowing a road to one of our gravel pits, and suddenly here this guy walking towards my loader in the middle of the night. I stopped to talk to him and he has broken down on another road, he has been walking for over 2 hours in knee deep snow. I told him to sit down on the side of the road and wait. I called in the radio and got one of our guys to come pick him up and take him to our shop to wait for a ride.
My foreman why one step further for this poor guy. Got me to break open that other road until I got to his sled. Only took me about 10 min to get there, I pulled his sled into my bucket and brought it back out to the main road where we loaded it in a pickup and took it to our shop. The guy was so thankful. He has no idea how he was going to get back out there to get his sled or try to fix it.

We didn't know the guy at all, didn't have to help like that, but we all did do a bit extra too help the stranger in need. It was enough just doing the right thing, but man... I would sabotage his sled next time just do we could do it again for the thank you gift his wife and boys brought in for us 2 nights later.... They brought us homemade meal of ribs and potatoes and mixed veggies. And our safety division at work bought us coffee and donuts for going above and beyond or job.

This guy has been with a group all day riding, fueled up and decided to cut across the mine property to save himself the extra 45 mins on the club trail to get back to his house. How quickly things can go wrong. Something came apart in his clutch. Saving 45 min traveling alone late at night cost my 3hrs only because he was lucky we were there, he would have been a good 2 or 3 more hours wading snow out that road before he got to a plowed area with a bit of traffic on it.
Always try to not ride alone.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
''not riding alone'' is not a choice for everyone, and I even LOVE driving alone. Whatever, it's my life. I just can't wait to try to start the grizzly using hills on my next ride, and see how good I am at it or how possible it is using my landscape. Then I'll see if I carry the spare starter. If I even go on this route, I'll also carry every extension and swivel needed for the job. Removing the plastics is a matter of minutes if you have done it before, but canada cold can slow this down very very much

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
I do have a spare starter. I don't carry it on a machine. I bring it along with several other parts on riding vacations.
I don't ride alone often and normally don't care to ride in snow. If I breakdown with no cell service, I will just enjoy the hike. I always carry fire, water, some grub, extra warm clothes and a small tarp.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Increasing options for emergency contact via satellite if needed

iPhone 14

AST SpaceMobile’s satellites will work with existing cell phones as lower altitude

·
Premium Member
'23 XTR
43 Posts
Increasing options for emergency contact via satellite if needed

iPhone 14

AST SpaceMobile’s satellites will work with existing cell phones as lower altitude

Bivy makes a really nice link too. Love mine.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How long do you think it takes to swap starter? FSM suggest exhaust removal

View attachment 104146

View attachment 104147 View attachment 104148
Per this video, it should be doable if you have the right extensions and swivels. Not a fun job on the side of the road, but definitely doable if a hill start is impossible (can't wait to try out)

I like roegem idea of a package of parts and tools that I could bring along only when I ride alone in winter, and leave it home when we're two. I could strap that on the front rack somewhere.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have had the Spot X and currently use the InReach mini. I used Spot for years when they first came out. The satellite system the Spot uses I've found is sometimes very hard to get a connection to and can take forever to get a message sent or received. While the Garmin will send/receive from just about anywhere you have good line of sight to the sky and send and receive very quickly. I use mine once every few months just to make sure it is working, I have it for piece of mind since I ride so far out and alone most of the time and cell service is almost nonexistent.

Half the gear I carry is for repairs the rest is for survival. I've stayed the night out twice over the years due to breakdowns and there are 2 things I found you really want besides food and water. One is light, When you are alone in the middle of nowhere in pitch black you hear every little sound and having a nice bright light is a must, found this out the first time. Second is some type of shelter. In the summer bugs will drive you crazy and the winter cold will cause you to shiver all night long. It is also very reassuring being "inside" even the thin walls of a tarp will give you a feeling of security that is very welcome. When you are alone and staying unexpectedly the night seems to last forever:) I always carry a couple kinds of different lights with spare batteries and chargers, thank god for led's. The factory charging port is very nice to have. I also carry a two man tent and a space blanket type bivy sack. I LOVE the ability the Grizzly has to have front and rear boxes and the little storage compartments. There are lots of other little things I bring to make life easier but those are the main two I make sure I always have.

Trail side repairs depend on the abilities of the rider. For some as long as they have the tools and parts anything can be done out on the trails. For others fixing a flat can be a challenge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts