Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Buy a new Polaris Sportsman 1000S or new Yamaha Grizzly XT-R?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know how the new Sportsman 1000 S are holding up? Polaris claimed out the gate the beefed everything up, even using the front diff out of a heavier RZR machine. If Polaris finally has their reliability issues under control, is this a better value than the Grizzly, even though the Polaris is so costly?

·
Premium Member
11,696 Posts
You can be our G.C. trial.......
I don't care what others ride, I will ride with most others on anything they bring but......
There's no way I would waste money on anything popo offers.
The popo dealer in this area sucks, so being able to keep one going a whole season is doubtful.
Then......a few years ago myself and another member would meet the popo factory riders/engineers when they came to this area for annual machine testing in the high country, before they headed to the Mojave desert for additional testing on their western swing, and we did this for 3 or 4 years.
My buddy had the popo a.t.v., bought before he got the 660, and one year he got to telling these factory popo guys how something was wrong with his machine that caused him to try the 660. They had remembered him from the year before on his little 500......and asked where the popo was.
These guys were great to talk to, and to their credit they provided their contact info to my buddy and later that winter sent parts to the local dealer to fix his popo at their/factory total expense.
That all sounds great, but the popo still has the same problem, not even the factory guys can fix a popo.
Around here, riding long distances from the trailer, alone or with others, I would not want to straddle the proven reliability of a popo.

Reactions: jvictory1974

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have had the same talk with myself and took the jump. The sportsman 1000s forum not reporting any major issues as yet. It's a beautiful ride and I really like it.. it's easier on your body on a long ride than the grizz. Time will tell if they hold up.
If only Yamaha would listen to their customer and stick a twin in the grizz.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have had the same talk with myself and took the jump. The sportsman 1000s forum not reporting any major issues as yet. It's a beautiful ride and I really like it.. it's easier on your body on a long ride than the grizz. Time will tell if they hold up.
If only Yamaha would listen to their customer and stick a twin in the grizz.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
How long have you had it? Were you a previous grizzly owner before or were you contemplating one or the other and went with the sportsman? I think list price is 14,999 for them, but I'm curious what a dealer is willing to do for a discount, if anything?

Growing up, when I hit middle school is about when Polaris got in the ATV game. My buddies who had them could never get through a single ride without a day ending break down. As polaris kept investing and making better machines I got more and more intrigued, but to date have stayed on the sideline because you do still hear of some reliability issues. I sort of wonder though if the folks that experience the issues are abusive to their machines. I like to ride hard at times, but I don't hold the throttle wide open through a terribly rocky creek bed or submerge the entire ATV under water. You can break anything if you try hard enough.

Long story short, there isn't a lot of info on the Sportsman 1000S so I appreciate you posting and would like to learn more. There is way more info on the scrambler 1000S on youtube. While I think its an awesome machine, the fact you aren't supposed to tow with it and it has basically no rack space makes me think I would regret buying it.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,894 Posts
Do a search on polaris recalls over the past 5 years and then decide for yourself if polaris makes a dependable machine now. They may be turning a corner in the last year or two, but my opinion is the jury is still out if you can say a polaris machine will be dependable. Then there is the very real potential for an increase in maintenance items and an inferior CVT system.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I really don't think this is an accurate comparison. Its like comparing a Toyota Tacoma to a F150 Raptor. If you have the money to buy a 15k atv does it really matter how reliable it is? Buy the Sportsman for 15k and buy an extended warranty. I'm sure the power, ground clearance and suspension will be amazing. Anything that high performing is going to cost more, pay to play.

The Grizzly will be light years more reliable but it won't be nearly as fun.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,894 Posts
And Ransom, there is definitely truth to that. The one thing for sure is that Polaris and Can Am are far more innovative with their product lines than the Japanese manufacturers. For me, I know I'm stupid enough with the hp at the weight of my Grizzly that I shouldn't have more hp :whistle:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
From an earlier thread about the Polaris.
Attached is a Polaris Sportsman that burned down at the WNF this April.

Apparently it was an electrical issue.

Reactions: mainegrizz660

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I have a few buddies that run Polaris I believe one is a 550 xp sportsman and the other ones are 570s sportsman, they seem to have good luck with them the last few years, I hate the way the starter sounds when you press the starter button, doesn't sound right, they all do it, I think the bare bones 570 is rated at 42-45 hp where the 700 Griz is at 48hp.

·
Registered
2011 Grizzly 550, 2020 Grizzly 700 XT-R
583 Posts
Does anyone know how the new Sportsman 1000 S are holding up? Polaris claimed out the gate the beefed everything up, even using the front diff out of a heavier RZR machine. If Polaris finally has their reliability issues under control, is this a better value than the Grizzly, even though the Polaris is so costly?
I am not joking around here, I'm dead serious. I have wasted more of my precious riding days dragging out other people's brand new Polaris's and can-ams, I go out of my way to not ride with them anymore. I have a '11 grizzly 550 and a '20 grizzly XT-R. I wouldn't even trade that 10yo 550 with over 3000 miles on it for a brand new Polaris 1000. People are always quoting hp hp hp, but horse power doesn't mean a dang thing when you are stranded or being towed out.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
From an earlier thread about the Polaris.
Attached is a Polaris Sportsman that burned down at the WNF this April.

Apparently it was an electrical issue.
I found one just like that on my land this year. No idea whose it was. I went back a few days later with a friend to help me get it out, and it was gone.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Going on a Kodiak /
I am not joking around here, I'm dead serious. I have wasted more of my precious riding days dragging out other people's brand new Polaris's and can-ams, I go out of my way to not ride with them anymore. I have a '11 grizzly 550 and a '20 grizzly XT-R. I wouldn't even trade that 10yo 550 with over 3000 miles on it for a brand new Polaris 1000. People are always quoting hp hp hp, but horse power doesn't mean a dang thing when you are stranded or being towed out.
My old 09 550 SE grizzly is at 9000 hard miles and rock solid. It's now being enjoyed by my childhood buddy and his entire family.

I hope my 2019 Grizzly SE is as reliable

·
Registered
583 Posts
Going on a Kodiak /

My old 09 550 is at 9000 hard miles, and now being enjoyed by my childhood buddy and his entire family
That's awesome. I hope I get 9000 out of my 550. It's a rock solid machine. One of my daughters can't wait to grow into it. A few more years and it's hers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
There are only 2 things Polaris builds well imo.... Sxs & snowmobiles.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll ride my 700 kodiak age smile wave have fun 100% of the time rather than be on a 1000 Polaris and only smile 80% of the time, pissed off the other 20% at the money in going to have to spend too repair it & lost trail time.

If i win the lottery and money was no issue, i still wouldn't buy a Polaris atv

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I love Yamaha, own a snowmobile, quad, generator, and outboard motor that are all Yamahas..... Raised off Yamahas my entire life.

That said, Yamaha products ain't perfect either. Many of us have read horror stories from our fellow grizzly, Kodiak, owners who paid a big premium for the Yamaha brand quality and got sub standard BS..

·
Registered
640 Posts
Interesting how us Yamaha owners are bashing Polaris in this thread, when so many of us have read horror stories from our fellow grizzly / Kodiak owners who paid a big premium for the Yamaha brand quality and got sub standard BS..

Yamaha quads are pricer and fare from perfect
Failure rate to sales numbers of yamaha is far far love than with polaris.

I litter only heard one person in my life mention anything about the 708 oil burn issue, age he was an actic cat owner looking to upgrade his 1000 cat to a more comfortable and reliable grizzly. Then her read of that issue on here.
I hadn't heard of any issues around here and there are alot of the newer 700s that fall in that range of 16-18.

But the polaris breakdownds around here with the big bikes is staggering.

·
Registered
583 Posts
That said, Yamaha products ain't perfect either. Many of us have read horror stories from our fellow grizzly, Kodiak, owners who paid a big premium for the Yamaha brand quality and got sub standard BS..
Everything I said was 100% from experience, not hearsay, or reading half the story in a forum. I don’t say grizzlys are superior because I own them, I buy grizzlys because they are the best for me, and from what I’ve witnessed. CanadianKodiak is exactly right. Talk to any independent mechanic.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just went riding a couple weeks ago. I was on 2014 sportsman 570. One guy in the group was on a 2020 grizzly 700.

We switched back and forth a few times.

I bought a new quad last week. Its a 2020 sportsman 850.

I now have a grizzly 450, sportsman 570, sportsman 850, and a couple bikes in the garage. We have a big group of riding friends. Its a mix of yamaha, can am, Honda, polaris.

Actual break downs in the group are rare. Now, maintenence required is different. The Polaris machines are needy IMO.

Do you want 80-100 HP at the tip of your thumb? If so be prepared to replace bushing, bearings, and rebuild a diff more often than in other machines.

Are you happy with half that horsepower but more reliability.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Everything I said was 100% from experience, not hearsay, or reading half the story in a forum. I don’t say grizzlys are superior because I own them, I buy grizzlys because they are the best for me, and from what I’ve witnessed. CanadianKodiak is exactly right. Talk to any independent mechanic.
Yeah, back home in New Brunswick, there were 2 local small engine mechanics with independent shops, one was a very good fried of mine, the other i only knew through my ex's dad... But both said basically the same thing, polaris and Kawasaki put thier kids through university... Lol
My buddy also includes can am in that, and he owns one himself. Lol

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just went riding a couple weeks ago. I was on 2014 sportsman 570. One guy in the group was on a 2020 grizzly 700.

We switched back and forth a few times.

I bought a new quad last week. Its a 2020 sportsman 850.

I now have a grizzly 450, sportsman 570, sportsman 850, and a couple bikes in the garage. We have a big group of riding friends. Its a mix of yamaha, can am, Honda, polaris.

Actual break downs in the group are rare. Now, maintenence required is different. The Polaris machines are needy IMO.

Do you want 80-100 HP at the tip of your thumb? If so be prepared to replace bushing, bearings, and rebuild a diff more often than in other machines.

Are you happy with half that horsepower but more reliability.
Yup, exactly, really have to pay to play

1 - 20 of 76 Posts