Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Buy a new Polaris Sportsman 1000S or new Yamaha Grizzly XT-R?

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Grizzly 550, 2020 Grizzly 700 XT-R
583 Posts
Are you happy with half that horsepower but more reliability. I NEED reliability.
in my case, absolutely. I’m alone on my land a lot.
But both said basically the same thing, polaris and Kawasaki put thier kids through university... Lol
LOL. That's exactly what my mechanic told me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If only Yamaha would listen to their customer and stick a twin in the grizz.
Honestly, I don't even care if they put a twin in the grizz. Mine will do 50+, I can't ride that fast on the trails... but if they spread the stance a bit, gave it longer travel, and Fox 1.5 or 2.0 shocks with dual-rate springs and appropriate valving... I'd be beating people left and right to make my way to the front of the line.

Reactions: rick25s

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Honestly, I don't even care if they put a twin in the grizz. Mine will do 50+, I can't ride that fast on the trails... but if they spread the stance a bit, gave it longer travel, and Fox 1.5 or 2.0 shocks with dual-rate springs and appropriate valving... I'd be beating people left and right to make my way to the front of the line.
Great point. While most never wish for less power, it’s not like the Grizzly is a slug. For virtually everything but drag races it’s more than enough power. An offering like the WR700 that the guys on Dirt Traxx built but with longer travel suspension I think would have lines forming outside Yamaha dealerships.

·
Registered
601 Posts
A buddy has a Polaris 570 sportsman. In the last 3 years of him owning it I have rebuilt the primary clutch twice, Installed a new stator, and installed a new fuel pump. This is all in under 4000 miles. I told him the next time the clutch bushings go to hell to replace the primary clutch. Oh I also know he installs a new belt every year as well. So do you want HP & Speed or dependability?? I am one of those guys that wish's Yamaha would drop a 850 or 1000 twin in the Grizzly too but I also want reliability.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How long have you had it? Were you a previous grizzly owner before or were you contemplating one or the other and went with the sportsman? I think list price is 14,999 for them, but I'm curious what a dealer is willing to do for a discount, if anything?

Growing up, when I hit middle school is about when Polaris got in the ATV game. My buddies who had them could never get through a single ride without a day ending break down. As polaris kept investing and making better machines I got more and more intrigued, but to date have stayed on the sideline because you do still hear of some reliability issues. I sort of wonder though if the folks that experience the issues are abusive to their machines. I like to ride hard at times, but I don't hold the throttle wide open through a terribly rocky creek bed or submerge the entire ATV under water. You can break anything if you try hard enough.

Long story short, there isn't a lot of info on the Sportsman 1000S so I appreciate you posting and would like to learn more. There is way more info on the scrambler 1000S on youtube. While I think its an awesome machine, the fact you aren't supposed to tow with it and it has basically no rack space makes me think I would regret buying it.
I came from a grizz which I have had 2. There seem to be very few issues with the 1000s at moment but time will tell they still pretty new.. Tell someone with the 708 motor that the grizz is bomb proof and I'm not sure they would agree..

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I came from a grizz which I have had 2. There seem to be very few issues with the 1000s at moment but time will tell they still pretty new.. Tell someone with the 708 motor that the grizz is bomb proof and I'm not sure they would agree..

When did the 708 motor come out? I have heard that this one had more issues than prior engines

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
2016 that said mine was issue free

Found a big string on it. Thanks. Interestingly, it appears my 2011 was a good year for them. Last ones made in Japan and no changes from prior year. Only issue I have had with it in 10 years is spark plug randomly died on me. To be fair, I don’t get to ride it much thought so it’s possible other things wound have happened if I rode it more. I’ll say that growing up I had an air cooled Honda 250 and rode the living wheels off of it. Never once ever failed me even a little. In like a 10 year stretch I don’t know that I ever replaced a single part. The grizzly seems built really well. I have 2 Yamaha generators and a Yamaha power washer and they all have been perfect.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Found a big string on it. Thanks. Interestingly, it appears my 2011 was a good year for them. Last ones made in Japan and no changes from prior year. Only issue I have had with it in 10 years is spark plug randomly died on me. To be fair, I don’t get to ride it much thought so it’s possible other things wound have happened if I rode it more. I’ll say that growing up I had an air cooled Honda 250 and rode the living wheels off of it. Never once ever failed me even a little. In like a 10 year stretch I don’t know that I ever replaced a single part. The grizzly seems built really well. I have 2 Yamaha generators and a Yamaha power washer and they all have been perfect.
Yeap me to. My lad got a yam 90 atv yam generator excellent. I think the 2016 was new model and there were a few issues no doubt which they seem to have sorted. I see the jap atv on farms in UK donkeys years old never seen a washer or spanner and start first turn of key. I'm not sure if Polaris or can am would be the same

·
Registered
63 Posts
My father in law has a Can Am with 20000kms and has not changed anything yet, still original belt. The ones that break are the the guys that run the shit out of them, if you treat them good they treat you good back

·
Registered
639 Posts
My father in law has a Can Am with 20000kms and has not changed anything yet, still original belt. The ones that break are the the guys that run the shit out of them, if you treat them good they treat you good back
Adventure my buddies gf has a 570 can am with 3000km on it, she's on 2nd belt already because here got wet a started slipping. They trail ride, no mudding.
Exhaust flange broke on the bike 2nd week she had it, just idaling warming up ahead of suddenly got really loud.
You don't have to beat on them to break, shit quality from the factory says it all.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I own a 2018 outlander 1000r with 2000 km’s and it’s been good so far, I also have a grizzly and it’s had it’s fare share of problems over the years but the Can Am has more HP and the more power you have it will break more stuff. The grizzly is a excellent bike but some people want more power to play with, you put more power to the grizzly and it will break down more often

·
Registered
639 Posts
I own a 2018 outlander 1000r with 2000 km’s and it’s been good so far, I also have a grizzly and it’s had it’s fare share of problems over the years but the Can Am has more HP and the more power you have it will break more stuff. The grizzly is a excellent bike but some people want more power to play with, you put more power to the grizzly and it will break down more often
Exactly. That's why i don't think the grizzly or kodiak needs an 850 or 1000. They are known for dependability. Increase the engine, and that dependability goes out the window.
Gotta pay to play.

I don't think there will ever be a bigger cc grizz. Sxs market is where it's at now. You want a dependable big bore, you get a grizzly, kodiak, kq, or bf. You want a 850 or 1000 to play, you go Polaris or can am.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Don't forget about CF Moto, they have a 800 and a 1000 quad in their lineup, their reliability is about the same as Polaris now, starting to see more and more of them on the trails, 5 year warranty to boot.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Don't forget about CF Moto, they have a 800 and a 1000 quad in their lineup, their reliability is about the same as Polaris now, starting to see more and more of them on the trails, 5 year warranty to boot.
Alot of the cfmotos hitting the trail back home in New Brunswick, most of the guys with them are trying to sell our trade in on a canam or a Polaris. Aftermarket just isn't there she the wait time for replacement parts has been horrible.
Then my buddy that has a 500 cfmoto loves it, never an issue with it, over 15000km on it

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Yeah the support for CF Moto is not that great but they are working on it, I have a buddy with a 800 two up quad, he had a bit of a issue with the clutch on a trip to NFLD, still made it through his trip, His Dealer replaced the whole clutch unit no questions asked, no problems sense, pretty fancy quad, came loaded with options right from the factory, the shocks on it kinda look like the Elka stage 4 shocks, lots of adjustment for sure, I think its a 2018, he's happy with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With you on this one... Where in the woods or trail do you want to go 70 mph on a bouncy drifting 4 wheeler...trees, rocks and ditches don't move out of the way. Try stopping the best quad on the market from that speed in dirt or mud....many have tried and many have died! I'll take slow steady and reliable any day....

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah the support for CF Moto is not that great but they are working on it, I have a buddy with a 800 two up quad, he had a bit of a issue with the clutch on a trip to NFLD, still made it through his trip, His Dealer replaced the whole clutch unit no questions asked, no problems sense, pretty fancy quad, came loaded with options right from the factory, the shocks on it kinda look like the Elka stage 4 shocks, lots of adjustment for sure, I think its a 2018, he's happy with it.
Yeah they need to offer that kind of service to get a foot in the door on the market. They make some nice looking machines. As for the shocks, not sure if they still are, but when they first hit the market, it was elka suspension on them. That's where i first heard of elka.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Yeah they need to offer that kind of service to get a foot in the door on the market. They make some nice looking machines. As for the shocks, not sure if they still are, but when they first hit the market, it was elka suspension on them. That's where i first heard of elka.

They sure looked like Elka's on buddies 800, I just thought Chinese knock off's.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
153 Posts
With you on this one... Where in the woods or trail do you want to go 70 mph on a bouncy drifting 4 wheeler...trees, rocks and ditches don't move out of the way. Try stopping the best quad on the market from that speed in dirt or mud....many have tried and many have died! I'll take slow steady and reliable any day....
The world is a big place. Areas to ride these big hp rigs really fast while still maintaining a reasonable level of "safety" ARE out there... for example..An individual could more or less ride safely at 70mph all day long in Northern Maine if they wanted. We rode up that way for a long weekend last fall, and my cruising speed for a LOT of our trip was WOT.

Kinda boring actually.. but doing BIG miles in a day is neat.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts